gaperking

How can I enter Thailand?

23 minutes ago, anddy said:

My guess (and no more than a guess) is they allocate time slot for ASQ guests to use the gym separately and individually, and sanitise after each use. That way no risk.

Now that's great idea and business model ;) 

That would be my guess too. Even though u got 1 hour to use facilities, doesnt mean u can use all of them without some system. Thats the reason u only get 1 hour to begin with, so the hotel can implement their SOP to ensure social distancing and sanitization.

42 minutes ago, z909 said:

OK, so summarizing from above:    Flight waiting lists until March 2021 and apparently limits on incoming passengers of 500 per day.   So that would amount to a maximum of  182,000 visitors per year, compared with over 39 million in 2019.   About a 99.5% reduction in numbers.    Not yet rescuing the tourism sector.

If not, it makes about as much sense as allowing people to order a boy on Grindr, providing they have passed a covid test.

182000 staying an extra 14 days in isolation, paying around 60-100k baht on average, on top of whatever they can do afterwards. Quite a significant chunk. That one guy coming back for a visa run spent 300k baht total. While certainly not the amount thailand used to get, it adds up and help a little.

I have a booked flight to Bangkok in October with Finnair. I get regular emails from them saying how they are flying to the Far East. No hint of cancellation of the flight. I will cancel anyway, as no chance of getting in.

8 hours ago, Keithambrose said:

I have a booked flight to Bangkok in October with Finnair. I get regular emails from them saying how they are flying to the Far East. No hint of cancellation of the flight. I will cancel anyway, as no chance of getting in.

Let them cancel the flight, that way you will get a full refund without any hassles. 

16 hours ago, Up2u said:

Let them cancel the flight, that way you will get a full refund without any hassles. 

That's right.  That's the way I would handle it.

I don't think it's a good idea to try to book flights just yet without having any real idea about what to expect on arrival and what to expect going home, not to mention the risk of a second outbreak and ending up stranded in Thailand.  Many foreigners who were stranded in Thailand are still stuck here, trying to find a way to go home.

I suppose it's easy for me to say since I live in Thailand and am not trying to go anywhere, but in my opinion the smart move is to wait until you can have real confidence and certainty about what to expect before even thinking about booking flights.  As much as many of you want to travel to Thailand, the way things currently are, to me there are just too many things that can go wrong.  I don't know about your lives, but Murphy's Law applies to mine all too often . . .

1 hour ago, Londoner said:

Quarantine- holiday- more quarantine on return home. Doesn't appeal.

In the UK, the quarantine on return home would be in my house & garden, so I could just about cope with that.  Particularly if it followed a 90 day winter trip to Thailand.

Quarantine in Thailand would be a bit more difficult, as one is presumably more or less stuck in a hotel room and left to eat whatever food the hotel decided to provide. 

A shorter quarantine regime with some testing would make it more interesting.

Just to say that I booked my Finnair flight before the pandemic. It is on a refundable basis, so I will just cancel. It's business class, so quite expensive. I don't want to take the risk that the flight actually operates.  That has been the position here in UK with some airlines going to Spain etc. They say that as flight is operating, no refund.