spoon

Us election Biden V Trump

Biden looks very likely.   

Currently on 253 according to the Washington Post.   Ahead in Nevada & Arizona, with 17 votes, so that's 270, which is enough.

Also, they are neck & neck in Georgia, with Biden tending to catch up as the postal votes are counted later.    Allegedly.  

https://www.washingtonpost.com/

I believe nothing I read, see, hear or get confirmed. Trump will contest every vote cast against him. America has lost its way. Regardless, there are over 60 million people that votes for him. I don't understand that at all.  Sadly, I agree with with Keith Olbermann, anyone who voted for him is a moron. Period.

American again and again surprised me in so many way. From an outsider point of view, i am amazed at how close a lot of the results were. U guys have 2 very different candidates and yet the result doesnt make sense at all. Fact is trump got his supporters in the masses. Its true in 2016, and its true again in 2020. 

1 hour ago, Michael said:

America has lost its way. Regardless, there are over 60 million people that votes for him. I don't understand that at all.  

and that is real problem regardless who wins this time, Trump may go away but those millions will not and whatever their grievances are , real or perceived must be addressed somehow

17 minutes ago, spoon said:

When discussing this with my friends, one of them mentioned that politicians will always be politicians. Maybe this is why people vote for trump. He is not a politician by background, and those who support him are tired of the politicians? Maybe.....

Or, they are just racist morons?

The dicking around with the count is astonishing.   It's still not even clear when the remaining key states will declare. 

I would have thought there should be some standard federal rules, like all postal votes to be received by 22:00 on the day of the election.   Combined with a recommendation to post it 7 days in advance.  

As for the racist moron theory, whilst there are no doubt some, I doubt there are 70 million racist morons voting for Trump.    As it stands, any right of centre people who don't want their taxes up don't have an intelligent & moderate centre right candidate available.  

That's because the Republican party put forward an idiot.   

So they can either vote for a sensible candidate with a risk of tax increases. 

Or vote for an idiot who is unfit to govern and threatens democracy, simply because they will have a lower tax bill.  

2 hours ago, vinapu said:

and that is real problem regardless who wins this time, Trump may go away but those millions will not and whatever their grievances are , real or perceived must be addressed somehow

Trump could well lose the election but (sigh) I don't think he's going away anytime soon. There's already talk of a cable program ("Trump TV) if he's unsuccessful. Given his strong following, he's the most likely successor to terminally-ill Rush Limbaugh, who rules the ultra right media with his syndicated radio show. Supporters are already suggesting that Trump could run again for the presidency in 2024.

Although continuous lies and hate has streamed from him over the past 5-6 years, it was the media (right and left) that helped in no small way in creating the monster. They hung on his every utterance, pundits capitalized on it to boost ratings and the country was put though a period of political angst previously unknown in modern US history. The toll has been profound: friendships shattered, families divided and the fabric of society shredded.

How could this have happened? For Trump, it wasn't difficult. He knew how to divide and conquer. The practice is not unique to America. It's always the fall back option to those who wish to turn one or more groups against others. A few minutes ago I read in one of the major Thai news sites that a member of the elite is blaming a "Jewish American" for supporting the pro-democracy demonstrators. Hate has no geographical boundaries.

It's probably worth reflecting on the fact that the US is not comprised of a homogeneous population, making it easier for hate mongers to try to spew their filth. Here's a list of the top 21 ethnicities:

Rank Ethnicity Percentage of Population
1 German 14.70%
2 Black or African American (non-Hispanic) 12.30%
3 Mexican (of any race) 10.90%
4 Irish 10.60%
5 English 7.80%
6 American 7.20%
7 Italian 5.50%
8 Polish 3.00%
9 French 2.60%
10 Scottish 1.70%
11 Native American and Alaska Native 1.60%
12 Puerto Rican 1.60%
13 Norwegian 1.40%
14 Dutch 1.40%
15 Swedish 1.20%
16 Chinese 1.20%
17 Asian Indian 1.00%
18 Scotch-Irish 1.00%
19 Russian 0.90%
20 West Indian (non-Hispanic) 0.90%
21 Filipino 0.90%

1 hour ago, spoon said:

That too perhaps. Then there are 70mil racist moron in america. Scary thought.

It is isn't it?

1 hour ago, z909 said:

The dicking around with the count is astonishing.   It's still not even clear when the remaining key states will declare. 

I would have thought there should be some standard federal rules, like all postal votes to be received by 22:00 on the day of the election.   Combined with a recommendation to post it 7 days in advance. 

As for the racist moron theory, whilst there are no doubt some, I doubt there are 70 million racist morons voting for Trump.    As it stands, any right of centre people who don't want their taxes up don't have an intelligent & moderate centre right candidate available.  

That's because the Republican party put forward an idiot.   

So they can either vote for a sensible candidate with a risk of tax increases. 

Or vote for an idiot who is unfit to govern and threatens democracy, simply because they will have a lower tax bill.  

I get how long it takes. Votes were cast in a variety of ways and it takes time. Should it take this long? No. But, that is part of the problem. We do need a system where this is done fast and secure.

Yes, Republicans may want a fiscal conservative. I have supported many in the past. However, if you put someone you know is a racist at the top of your ticket and you know he is a racist and you vote for him anyway, then, yes, you have racist tendencies!

From my side of the pond, I remain astonished that they couldn't have found two better candidates to contest what is arguably the world's top job!

Our news channels are dominated by it (at least it has temporarily knocked Covid19 off the top spot!). Last night I was watching one lot of Trump supporters outside an count screaming 'stop the count' (Trump was currently ahead), and then another lot of Trump supporters screaming 'count every vote' (Trump was currently behind).  Lawyers on both sides rubbing their hands and Trump confident that if it ends up in the Supreme Court it will now go his way. If he ends up going, it won't be quietly! No chance of him being magnanimous in defeat, if defeat it is..

At least it makes me feel quite proud of the UK system for all its foibles. 

I do quite like the UK system of counting all night and installing the new government the next day, as long as the result is clear.   The counting is done manually as well, or at least it was last time I went to observe the process.

However, the UK also failed to put a decent candidate in front of the electorate at the last election.    We had the choice between an incompetent buffoon and an anti-semitic communist who has chosen to learn nothing from observing other economies for 70 years.   Naturally we chose the buffoon.

I presume the US might get the count finished before January.  

20 hours ago, Michael said:

I believe nothing I read, see, hear or get confirmed. Trump will contest every vote cast against him. America has lost its way. Regardless, there are over 60 million people that votes for him. I don't understand that at all.  Sadly, I agree with with Keith Olbermann, anyone who voted for him is a moron. Period.

First off, I voted for Biden and I have a very generous retirement, but I am not some rich lawyer with enough money to travel the world.  As Z said there is no-way that 70,000,000 Trump voters are all racist or morons.  I really feel like calling you out Michael.  How dare you assign such a simple cause to what is most of Rural America.  Most of these Trump voters are blue collar workers who have seen their jobs go overseas and all they hear from the Democratic party is " globalization is great for America".  Yes, it is great for investors, people with inherited wealth and high paid white collar workers and parasite lawyers, but not for them.  Others are farmers who have been treated well by the Republican President and Senators.  They got bailed out when Trump took on China, the same way the banks got bailed out during the Bush financial crisis.  Blue collar workers got nothing and they are seeing the few jobs left, not only being low pay, but find themselves competing with people from other nations who are more then willing to work for less pay, and companies skirting the law to hire them.  If these things are not enough you might remember that many Americans DO take their faith seriously.  They don't believe in abortion, gay rights, illegal drug and many believe the man leads his family.  In rural areas (outside of four seasons for you) they ARE the majority and they see these these things as, not an extension of freedom, but as an attack on their religion.  I loved the Obama presidency, but-in truth- he did little to help these people other the the Affordable care act.  Say what you want about Trump, but he recognized this and it propelled him to the presidency, and if not for Covid he would have been re-elected by a landslide.  So next time you are having your one too many cocktail at the Vertigo in the Banyan Tree, try to remember that IMHO that you really aren't to intelligent yourself to comment on others peoples lives as a self-described expert on spas and boys with big dicks.  I really would love to tell you what I really think about you and your comment, but there are rules

48 minutes ago, KhorTose said:

First off, I voted for Biden and I have a very generous retirement, but I am not some rich lawyer with enough money to travel the world.  As Z said there is no-way that 70,000,000 Trump voters are all racist or morons.  I really feel like calling you out Michael.  How dare you assign such a simple cause to what is most of Rural America.  Most of these Trump voters are blue collar workers who have seen their jobs go overseas and all they hear from the Democratic party is " globalization is great for America".  Yes, it is great for investors, people with inherited wealth and high paid white collar workers and parasite lawyers, but not for them.  Others are farmers who have been treated well by the Republican President and Senators.  They got bailed out when Trump took on China, the same way the banks got bailed out during the Bush financial crisis.  Blue collar workers got nothing and they are seeing the few jobs left, not only being low pay, but find themselves competing with people from other nations who are more then willing to work for less pay, and companies skirting the law to hire them.  If these things are not enough you might remember that many Americans DO take their faith seriously.  They don't believe in abortion, gay rights, illegal drug and many believe the man leads his family.  In rural areas (outside of four seasons for you) they ARE the majority and they see these these things as, not an extension of freedom, but as an attack on their religion.  I loved the Obama presidency, but-in truth- he did little to help these people other the the Affordable care act.  Say what you want about Trump, but he recognized this and it propelled him to the presidency, and if not for Covid he would have been re-elected by a landslide.  So next time you are having your one too many cocktail at the Vertigo in the Banyan Tree, try to remember that IMHO that you really aren't to intelligent yourself to comment on others peoples lives as a self-described expert on spas and boys with big dicks.  I really would love to tell you what I really think about you and your comment, but there are rules

I give anyone who voted for him the first time a pass as they were duped. IMHO But, yes, I do believe he is evil as the things he has done are evil. He consistently uses conspiracy theories to polarize the country. Any intelligent person can look at who he is, what he has done, how he has divided, his words, his deeds, etc. and see who he is. And, yes, it is that simple to me. I don't need to be an expert on anything to see that Trump has done more to polarize the USA and divide the country than any living person alive. Period. So, yes, I stand by my statement. As part of rural America and grew up in the deep south, I am happy to say that my closest relatives voted against him and they are as Republican as they come. However, they were also able to recognize someone who said one thing and did another. Yes, religion is part of the problem for sure. And, now we have a SCOTUS that is going to roll back rights that my people (gays) and my friends (women) fought so hard for. Regardless of what you think about me, it was good to see you post!

And, BTW, I'm from Alabama and grew up in George Wallace country. Still today, people believe that there should be no race mixing. I grew up and saw crosses burned in the yards of black families who moved into the area. I grew up and lived with one of my teachers being burned alive for being gay. Did all those people who did those horrific things die? The answer is no. They did not die. But, they all voted for Trump. Every one of them. I still believe that race is a big issue in the USA and while not always open about their beliefs, I do believe that 1/3 our America is racists, sexist, or homophobic. Most of them vote for Trump. We are not an equal society. Until I have to have "the talk" with my child about how to act with police so as not to be killed by police (for being black) we are not a society that treats all equally. Yes, I do believe the vast majority of those that voted for Trump are racists in some form. Do they shout it from the rooftops?  No. But, they do shout it with their votes for a racist leader. Period!

9 minutes ago, Michael said:

And, BTW, I'm from Alabama and grew up in George Wallace country. Still today, people believe that there should be no race mixing. I grew up and saw crosses burned in the yards of black families who moved into the area. I grew up and lived with one of my teachers being burned alive for being gay. Did all those people who did those horrific things die? The answer is no. They did not die. But, they all voted for Trump. Every one of them. I still believe that race is a big issue in the USA and while not always open about their beliefs, I do believe that 1/3 our America is racists, sexist, or homophobic. Most of them vote for Trump. We are not an equal society. Until I have to have "the talk" with my child about how to act with police so as not to be killed by police (for being black) we are not a society that treats all equally. Yes, I do believe the vast majority of those that voted for Trump are racists in some form. Do they shout it from the rooftops?  No. But, they do shout it with their votes for a racist leader. Period!

Could not have said it better myself. Those same Republicans have been stealing elections for many years . Just unbelievable that Georgia is voting for Biden and who knows they will have 2 Senate seats at risk in the re-vote.  Maybe the Dems won't win those seats but it will be close and likely switch in the future. Apparently no hope for places like Alabama but places like North Carolina and even Texas are moving to the Democrats . The only reason Republicans can ever win the Presidency is because of the ridiculous system. It's been many years since they have ever come close to winning the most votes. In a real Democracy Republicans would have to change or never win National Offices.

I liked all posts above because this is how civilized people should discuss and agree  to disagree, by stating their cause and explaining why without throwing labels.

KhorTose has some valid points  but as non-American i need to say that nobody mentioned  damage Trump presidency made to America's standing in the world, I can't see how he made "America great again" which was his main promise 4 years ago.

People who rightly complain about being losers of globalization need to realize that the also contributed to their misery  by choosing in masse to buy 30$ Chinese trousers instead of $ 100 "made in USA ' ones. Not only corporations but also consumers shipped American jobs to China and other countries

Anyone who voted for one particular cause shouldn't really lump all the people who voted for the other cause in the same group and describe them as "uneducated racists".   Even if a significant number may well be, that's usually nowhere near all of them.   

We had similar nonsense with Brexit, where one group presumes to know why all the others voted as they did.

On the other hand "people taking their faith seriously" is not a rational justification for voting for any cause.   It just means that ancient brainwashing methods still take precedence over thinking with some individuals.    Modern education should achieve better results than this.  

Having thought about it further, I'm very surprised that Trump got so much of the vote.   He's toxic, incompetent and a danger to American democracy.   

Anyone to the right of the centre had the option of voting for a Democrat president, whilst voting Republican for Congress & the Senate.   So that gets rid of Trump and limits how far the new president could move to the left.

given how many people voted by mail for the first time it's not a surprise that it is taking so long to count the ballots. The system isn't really set up to conduct elections this way in most places. In states like PA the Republican legislature wouldn't allow the local election officials to even open the ballots until election day while others like Florida sensibly allow for the mail ballots to be counted in advance of election day as they arrive. 

Trump got so many votes for a variety of reasons. There is so much brainwashing going on all over the world right now. Social media is turning a lot of us into idiots and the craziest voices get amplified. Add in the propaganda TV networks. Poor educational system. And for sure plenty of racism, but also the wealthy class has set the poor people against each other so they're distracted while they're all being robbed. 

Sadly our whole system has been corrupted, primarily by the Republicans. Reagan was the beginning of the end. But the unrepresentative Senate and gerrymandered House (and state legislatures) have created a dynamic where minoritarian rule is in place in a feedback loop so it will just continue to get worse. I saw an estimate the other day that by 2040 the Republicans will probably have 80 Senators due to the way populations are shifting. Essentially what needs to happen is masses of progressives moving to the rural states. But we all live in the blue states for good reasons. So getting enough of us out to the red hinterlands will be difficult.

Maybe the crazies will all kill each other off with the virus. 

At least we appear to averted disaster for the moment. There's plenty of work to be done.