williewillie

Street Party in Boyztown Pattaya ..

I’ve now heard from 2 boys that Boyztown will probably close down in two weeks.  I’m referring to Boyzboyzboyz,

Ambiance Hotel and restaurant, Ambiance massage, Panorama, and Castro.  
Boyzboyzboyz renews it’s lease and pays 6 months rent in advance 

twice a year.  This agreement ends this month and speculation favors the probability of lease not being renewed.

Without Chinese Female and male tourists, Boyztown (Pattayaland soi 3) is comatose.  
This info doesn’t include Scandic Massage or A-Bomb 

Boys club or the two remaining boy bars on Pattayaland soi 1 ( Dream Boys and Xboys).

The Chinese tourists favored Boyztown, Pattayaland soi 3 and it was standing room only at Boyzboyzboyz nightly .

As it’s very unlikely tourists will return before mid 2021 or later, it’s looking like the ‘fat lady will sing’.

8 hours ago, williewillie said:

I’ve now heard from 2 boys that Boyztown will probably close down in two weeks.  I’m referring to Boyzboyzboyz,

that would be disaster but not unexpected considering circumstances. 

That story is repeated world over for many businesses , particularly those in tourism and hospitality sector.

But most of them will rebound as soon as normalcy or something resembling it, returns 

On 12/18/2020 at 11:33 AM, williewillie said:

The Chinese tourists favored Boyztown, Pattayaland soi 3 and it was standing room only at Boyzboyzboyz nightly .

There is the issue.   Chinese tourists favoured Boyz Boyz Boyz & there are hardly any in Thailand.   Don't expect many of them when they need to do 15 days quarantine in Thailand and another 14 days time when returning to China.

From what we read here, on the other hand, some of the bars in Jomtien are just about surviving on the flow of business from expat farang and the trickle of tourists who have made it to Thailand.  

Whilst some gay westerners might be BBB customers, quite a few of us are not interested in paying high prices to watch lads in jeans, particularly when they are too large for our tastes (in some cases).   So if a bar has an offer that's of little interest to the few potential customers in the country, they don't deserve to get any customers.

6 hours ago, z909 said:

So if a bar has an offer that's of little interest to the few potential customers in the country, they don't deserve to get any customers.

that's too Darwinian but unfortunately, about right in current circumstances. BBB business model served them well for good while but now turned against them due to dearth of Chinese girls fancying Thai hunks. 

I can't say I'm in the least bit concerned about a bar that caters for female Chinese tourists.    On a scale of 0 to 10, 0.  

Places like Cupidol matter much more, but this is all a matter of personal taste.

1 hour ago, z909 said:

I can't say I'm in the least bit concerned about a bar that caters for female Chinese tourists.    On a scale of 0 to 10, 0.  

Places like Cupidol matter much more, but this is all a matter of personal taste.

You are  right,  I'm almost exactly opposite, Cupidol 0, BBB , say, 7.5 out of 10 and I'm NEITHER Chinese nor female

I understand the concept of "boy bars".     I don't have a problem with female customers in the more respectable bars, as long as they are quiet & well behaved.  Such as the young Japanese lady who once asked my advice about short time hotels in Classic Boys.

I'd have been slightly less comfortable with female customers in somewhere like Eros, where almost anything would go on in the bar.

I also recognise that the long term growth market is in Asia tourists.

However, the key point is that I simply couldn't care less if BBB has insufficient female Chinese tourists.  I'd imagine I'm not alone.   There are more important things to worry about.

45 minutes ago, z909 said:

However, the key point is that I simply couldn't care less if BBB has insufficient female Chinese tourists.  I'd imagine I'm not alone.   There are more important things to worry about.

You are definitely not alone. The Gay Bars in Pattaya that have failed over the years have no one to blame but themselves. They allowed what used to be fun places to spend a few hours ( yes imagine that) or at least an hour before taking someone back to our hotels etc, to a peek in the door to see if there were more than 1/2 a dozen boys and actually alive on stage before sitting down and paying anywhere from 4x-6x more for a watered down drink  or beer that Lady Bars sold to their customers. 

Wonder why the Apps have become so popular? There were times in the past I entered Funny Boys found a good seat and spent up to 2hours and sometimes did not leave with a boy but always called down a couple from the stage and bought them drinks and tipped them because I appreciated the management and wanted the bar to be successful . There were other well run bars that were successful doing the same thing and I treated them the same way.

I am not sure what happened to them whether there were just fewer customers or fewer managers who knew what they were doing. Using Funny Boys again as an example the long time manager whose name I forget but certainly Willie Willie will remember ,left for whatever reason and instantly the atmosphere changed in that Bar and eventually failed which most long time visitors knew would happen.  This was the same for many Bars in Pattaya . 

It is a hard job managing that type of Bar, Keeping Boys and Customers Happy .  Most fail because of bad management not because of lack of customers.

Moving to Bangkok for the discussion , there are many examples of well run Bars that survived on Soi Twilight  and were able to move across the Soi and will once again be successful  when the Virus is eradicated . Even now with no tourists they are surviving while waiting for Swampy to open again.

3 hours ago, firecat69 said:

..... Using Funny Boys again as an example the long time manager whose name I forget but certainly Willie Willie will remember ,left for whatever reason and instantly the atmosphere changed in that Bar and eventually failed .....

Rose was her name I  think

5 hours ago, z909 said:

Even if we don't patronize some venue , it's very existence enlivens street / soi and variety always helps to attract more customers which should attract more venues.

Who would visit Jomtien Center if it was there only one boy bar? Very few I guess.

15 minutes ago, vinapu said:

Rose was her name I  think

I believe that was the name.

11 minutes ago, vinapu said:

Even if we don't patronize some venue , it's very existence enlivens street / soi and variety always helps to attract more customers which should attract more venues.

Who would visit Jomtien Center if it was there only one boy bar? Very few I guess.

I suppose Boyztown would have less appeal if we were sat at Panorama, with a dark closed down premises front left.

Jomtien certainly benefits from some scale.  Even if I prefer a street full of gogo bars, where the boy offed one night can't see who you off the next day, even if he's from the bar next door.  

I was there during their 10th anniversary last year and it was a great night indeed. There were lucky draws for boys and customer alike, each drink will get u a ticket. There were so many gifts that in the end, the boss just asked who havent gotten gift yet and give them a pick of the gift haha. It was definitely a highlight of my trip, got myself a bottle of whiskey for my next visit, which was used in the next few days, with 2 other local friends.

One is bar boy but i never off him, knew him as he was offed by a friend, and another is the beach chair attendant that i really like. It was a great way to break the ice with the chair attendant and my bar boy friend was my wingman, that also thought the chair attendant is hot as well lol. Too bad i didnt have the courage to do anything more after the bar visit lol.

Londoner - after reading your piece above I reflected that it could have been written by myself given the sentiments you have described.

I first discovered Pattaya in 2001 when I visited in company with a gay friend from home, with whom I had spent several holidays in Playa del Ingles, Gran Canaria. After finding our feet we discovered we were in some sort of heaven the centre of which was BT, with its gay gogo’s and outdoor bars. Subsequently I stayed many times at the Ambiance and came to love its querky architecture. There were usually some str guests but usually civilised m/f couples who often had been attracted by positive reports on trip adviser. The change happened after the discovery by Chinese females of BBB, turning it from a gay orientated bar to a boy bar, and contributing to the late night sleep defeating noise with their shrieks. Finally i shifted my custom to the Jomtien Complex where the noise problem does not exists and a pleasant seaside atmosphere prevails for us gays including GAY bars. In BT.I used to patronise Cupidol, after it shifted premises into BT despite the pestering mamasam, who eventually found that I wasn’t an endless source of drinks and that I preferred  to select a boy myself rather than be guided by her recommendation.  However during the last couple of trips I just found it no longer had the sort of atmosphere and boys I preferred.

when I eventually get back to Pattaya (when is the question) I don’t know what I will find in BT  (maybe nothing) I hope there are enough elderly dinosaurs like myself to provide sufficient business for a recovery to a semblance of the place we used to love. 

I'd have thought the noise problem in the Complex would be horrendous, if staying too close to the bars, when one of them has a loud live event on.    Zing seems safe enough, although I have managed to stay on the side furthest from the bars in that hotel.

Any hotel hoping to thrive in an area with noisy bars outside should think about some effective soundproofing.    Everything is possible. I once stayed in an airport hotel in France, where the windows were made from some very thick laminated glass.   I tried tapping it and it was like tapping on concrete.  Couldn't even hear the planes.   

On 12/18/2020 at 6:33 AM, williewillie said:

Ambiance Hotel and restaurant, Ambiance massage, Panorama, and Castro.  

I think this rumor might be correct now I see that Agoda is not accepting bookings to Ambiance after 1th February .

Despite what I wrote earlier, I'd be very upset if Ambiance were to close. And Panorama , too. There are people who  worked at the hotel  for many years and  for whom I have great affection . I remember one of them being in tears when I explained that I would not be returning on that last morning as I left.

Thanks to Travellerdave, P and I have had happy times at the Agate...and I can confirm that we've never heard any noise from the Complex . My posting record reveals just how fussy I am about that issue.