reader

Taxi drivers can now charge “handling fees” for luggage

From The Thaiger

Bangkok taxis can now start charging passengers extra for large luggage items with handling fees ranging from 20 to 100 baht per item. Under the new regulations, taxi drivers are required to tell passengers about the extra costs before the ride.

Bags larger than 26 inches will be 20 baht and items larger than 50 inches will be no more than 100 baht. Other large items like sports equipment, bicycles, surfboards or musical instruments will be no more than 100 baht. After the first 2 items, additional bags will be 20 baht each.

The Transport Ministry says people will not be charged extra for handicap equipment like wheelchairs and walking sticks. Passengers will also not be charged extra for small personal belongings like handbags, computer cases or backpacks.

I tip even without bags. But, I also would be all my tips that the drivers will not tell passengers in advance of the fee.

That said, I can't think of a time in the last year or two that I have taken a taxi. I use Grab 99% of the time when I don't drive. I like the ability to have it charged to my CC and not worry about directions or misinterpreted conversations.

I've managed to get around Bangkok with the excellent public transport system in recent years.    In other cities, I have used Grab with some success, on the rare occasion I need to go some distance with all the luggage.

The next arrival in Bangkok might be with a taxi driver dressed something like this:

Taxi driver.jpg