reader

Massage, host bars closed in Bangkok

From Bangkok Post

As a new wave of Covid infections bites, the Bangkok Metropolitan Administration (BMA) has ordered the closure of all entertainment venues from Tuesday until Jan 4.

The order covers bars with hostesses, horseracing tracks and cockfighting arenas and other entertainment venues including massage parlours. However, pubs and restaurants can stay open as long as they serve only food and drinks, and close by midnight.

BMA spokesman Pongsakorn Kwanmuang on Monday advised entertainment venues to switch to serving only food and observe disease control measures.

So far since I woke up, I have had 6 messages from boys who work in the bars saying hello to me. BEFORE 9AM. They know it is going to be a hard week for them. So, come on guys, if you live in Bangkok, reach out to a few of the lads and ask them for a short time.

8 hours ago, anddy said:

this only affects "soapy massage" parlors, i.e. the straight brothels running as such. Regular massage shops remain open

What do you mean by soapy? I mean I never get soapy. I get Thai massage and then happy ending with no soap. Are those open?

I wonder if there's anything we can do to support the bar boys while they weather out the Covid19 storm.

For the boys we are already in touch with via Line etc, it would be easier to maybe send some help. For the boys who are not or are new, it would be difficult to do.

Perhaps the bars should start their own Line/wechat group or something for patrons to join?

With a grain of salt is how you have to consider news reports coming out of Bangkok.

On Monday the Bangkok Metropolitan Administration said that massage parlors, entertainment and other venues were to be closed through Jan. 4. Bar boys had been informed Sunday night not to report for work the next day.

The next evening, contrary to Bangkok Post article above, I received texts saying that Patpong venues were open.

There's only one explanation that will be universally and immediately understood: TIT.

This article in Coconuts Bangkok is about as clear as a London fog. And was probably intended to be that way.  So I leave it to members to read between, above or below the lines and interpret as you wish.

What’s now banned at Bangkok’s bars and clubs through New Year’s Eve

Bangkok’s bars, nightclubs and karaoke parlors may remain open and continue to sell alcohol but must dial down the carousing – and no “soapy massage.”

Clarifying a vague order hastily announced last night, a City Hall spokesperson this morning said that nightlife venues with food and alcohol licenses may continue to operate if they close at midnight, and may stay open later if they don’t play music. Ittipol Visa of the Bangkok Metropolitan Administration said they must not allow dancing or beer girls to help contain the current outbreak which has stricken dozens in the capital and more than 2,000 nationwide. 

The order, a blow for the city’s nightlife venues looking to recoup the year’s losses during the busy year-end holidays, takes effect today and is effective for one week – though likely to be extended.

Ittipol said venues may host live music shows as long as performers maintain social distancing and don’t interact closely with patrons. Ittipol said if those without any music may be able operate past midnight, depending on their business licenses.

Massage and physical therapy venues are still allowed to operate, but not the “soapy” variety, City Hall announced late last night, using a euphemism for commercial sex facilities.

He added that people in Bangkok can still enjoy a good foot or back rub at a massage parlor, but sexy-time massages are totally banned.

1 hour ago, reader said:

He added that people in Bangkok can still enjoy a good foot or back rub at a massage parlor, but sexy-time massages are totally banned.

I bet he can't find any credible scientific evidence to back up this !

On 12/30/2020 at 10:27 AM, Michael said:

What do you mean by soapy? I mean I never get soapy. I get Thai massage and then happy ending with no soap. Are those open?

On 12/30/2020 at 4:49 PM, Michael said:

I can tell you that soapy does not mean gay as all I have contacted are open today.

as I said in my first post, "soapy, i.e. straight brothels running as such". It is a distinct category of massage shop, in Thai called "aab ob nuad" (อาบอบนวด). Not to be confused with ANY "normal" massage shop offering HE and more, gay or straight. 

Last night, Hotmale and Midnight beer bars were open. Surprisingly Dream Boys was open too, just no shows I was told. Moonlight is closed until Jan 4th (if no extension of the city order)

20 minutes ago, Michael said:

I don't know what that means for the other places though.

As it stands right now, the domestic rules are set by the governors or each province, which is why there are different rules in different provinces - and sometimes even within provinces.

If the Covid problems escalate, the national government might supersede the current provincial rules.  Of course, everyone is hoping it doesn't have to come to that.

This looks like the latest on Bangkok.

The list of venues ordered to close around Bangkok include… entertainment venues (bars and nightclubs), water parks, amusement parks, playgrounds, children’s play equipment in markets, snooker tables, arcade venues, flea markets, game cafes, internet cafes, cockfighting grounds, other animal fighting grounds (huh?!).

The list also includes nurseries and childcare facilities, elderly nursing homes, boxing stadiums, martial arts schools, gyms, horse racing tracks, soapie massage, massage parlours, all sports stadiums, gymnasiums, banquet and conference rooms, amulet and religious stores, preschools, child development centres, tattoo shops and acupuncture shops.

Some of these locations, like nurseries and some schools had already been closed by previous orders.

A representative of the Bangkok Metropolitan Administration says the “additional measures” of closing some high risk venues and adding further restrictions will remain in force “until further notice”.

Shopping centres and department stores will be allowed to stay open at this stage but will screen all customers upon entry.

The fate of the city’s restaurants is being discussed today by the CCSA with a proposal on the table to restrict restaurant in high risk zones to take-away services only. The BMA is asking the CCSA not to take this additional measure at this stage.

“If approved the mandatory food takeaway order may come into effect on Monday so owners have some time to prepare themselves.”

57 minutes ago, TMax said:

“If approved the mandatory food takeaway order may come into effect on Monday so owners have some time to prepare themselves.”

This tells me it is not a matter of if, but when this is going to take effect. They are giving the restaurant owners time to prepare for this.

I just heard that the Ministry of Education has closed all schools in 28 provinces until Jan 17, 2021. They are usually the first ones to act.

I also just heard from another friend (ex) who is a driver that drivers are not being allowed to move trucks through different provinces and special paperwork is required or no entry. Not sure what that means exactly.

But, massages continue. Just an FYI

Bangkok orders closure of 25 types of venues to curb Covid-19 outbreak

By THE NATION

800_33cc076219bc7b4.jpg

Bangkok Governor Aswin Kwanmuang on Friday evening ordered the temporary closure of 25 types of venues in the province to contain the Covid-19 outbreak.

The order, which was approved by the provincial communicable disease prevention committee, takes effect on Saturday until further notice, except for educational institutions, which were ordered to close until January 17.

The 25 places are:

1. Entertainment venues such as pubs, bars

2. Theme parks, water parks

3. Children’s playgrounds

4. Snooker halls

5. Game kiosks

6. Internet cafes

7. Cockfighting rings

8. Nurseries and nursing homes for elders

9. Boxing rings

10. Martial art schools

11. Horse racetracks

12. Public shower rooms

13. Massage parlours

14. All types of sport stadiums

15. Banquet rooms

16. Bullfighting and fish fighting rings

17. Amulet centres

18. Pre-school children development centres

19. Beauty parlours and tattoo shops

20. Fitness centres

21. Boxing gyms

22. Spa, traditional Thai massage centres

23. Bowling lanes, skating and rollerblade rinks

24. Dancing schools

25. Tutorial centres and all types of educational institutions

The Bangkok Metropolitan Administration also urged people to wear face masks when leaving their residence and check in and out of places they visit using the government’s tracing platform.

Related Story: 3 Bangkok districts under maximum controls, closure of schools extended

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30400580?utm_source=category&utm_medium=internal_referral

nation.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand 2021-01-02

I expect massage has a transmission risk of near 100% from one person to the other, if one party is infected, which is low probability.

Schools have the risk of transmission amongst a large class size, but with lower probability of infection.

A few days ago, I took the airport rail link, in order to catch the nice professional bus service to Pattaya.  Preferable to the naff bus service from Ekamai, which will make at least one detour and stop at the less convenient north bus station.

Anyhow, there are various social distancing measures at Makkasan.   Then the train arrives.  The stupid bastards have closed off the front carriage and are crowding passengers into the remaining ones.   More of a concentration measure than a social distancing measure.