biguyby

Just Curious - question for any expats!

Any expats or anyone else in Pattaya at the moment, please does anyone have an update on the Renovation work being carried out on the Mike Shopping Mall?

In October 2017 the work began to transform the upper floors of the Mall into a Hotel. At same time the 10th Floor Swimming Pool was also closed for renovation.

Because of the Covid-19 situation I haven't been able to travel to Pattaya (my happy place) for over a year now but I am still curious to know if all the work is now complete.

Thank You for any information.

biguyby.

4 hours ago, vinapu said:

Long time no see you !

I hope Das Berliner also survives  somehow so we can meet over schnitzel like before

vinapu

Yes indeed vinapu, it's about 15 months since we last met up also with ChristianPFC I remember us checking out the guys in A-Bomb - happy days. Lets hope it's not too long before we can do it again.

2 hours ago, z909 said:

This is the more northerly of the Mike's malls ?    It did not look complete when viewed from second road.  

Will look more closely next time I go past

Thank You z909, yes it's around soi 11/12 beach road across from Kiss Food on Second Road.

2 hours ago, Travellerdave said:

The ninth floor was a gym a year ago called Coco. I went there a few times.

I had a look last time I was there Dave, It's on the 4th floor of Mike Shopping Mall it's a Canadian owned and called Coco’s Fitness.

1 hour ago, Boy69 said:

Last time I were at Mike shopping mall last February completely dead only the first 2 or 3 floors were partly operrated,

I assume the new lavish shopping malls oppend last years ago harmed badly this shopping mall no wonder they are changing it to a hotel.

One thing Pattaya is not short of is Shopping Centers

Here's a picture.  Looks finished from the outside, but looking through the windows, I suspect all the fitting out might not be completed.  Didn't have time to look closer today.

20210116_164559_HDR_copy_873x1164x.jpg

21 hours ago, z909 said:

Here's a picture.  Looks finished from the outside, but looking through the windows, I suspect all the fitting out might not be completed.  Didn't have time to look closer today.

20210116_164559_HDR_copy_873x1164x.jpg

Thank You z909 that is some impressive transformation. I'm really looking forward to getting back to Pattaya asap but fully aware of not being too soon and I expect drastic changes to the Pattaya scene that I know and love.

4 hours ago, biguyby said:

Thank You z909 that is some impressive transformation. I'm really looking forward to getting back to Pattaya asap but fully aware of not being too soon and I expect drastic changes to the Pattaya scene that I know and love.

even with drastic changes, rest assured it will be a treat to return, whenever it will be 

11 hours ago, vinapu said:

I wouldn't mind to check in person whether you are right and I would if not that damn quarantine , for me at both ends of trip

That's a good judgement.

Holidays in Thailand are slightly less fun with bar closures.  However most other facilities I want are open.  The phone apps are busy.

This needs to be compared with the alternative.  In my case, the UK has more closures, restrictions on meeting people and it's unpleasantly cold. 

Without quarantine, coming to Thailand would be an easy decision.  With 2 lots of full quarantine, that's a more difficult decision.

4 hours ago, biguyby said:

I think for me at the moment I would just appreciate the chance to sit by a pool or on the beach in the sunshine and eat out in the evenings. 

I know it’s not going to happen but it’s good to have a dream.

Unfortunately it's just a dream at the moment, I think 2021 will be a lost for tourism same as most last year , borders clousure and restrictions will continue till most of the population in the world will be vaccinated and Covid virus will be under control I don't see it happening this year :sorry:

Here's another perspective, showing more work needs to be done.......

Seems it's unfinished and work appears to be stopped.  Will this be another structure that remains unfinished for decades?

20210122_152316.jpg