TotallyOz

Two Words to Describe Gay Thailand: Go

A short opening post.

Gay gogo bars are becoming rarer in Thailand. I estimate Pattaya was down to 8 before the latest lockdown.  That's an estimate, since what matters is how many reopen when tourism picks up.

In Chiang Mai last year, I visited 3 gogo bars and only one had gogo boys.  One was cabaret with nothing else and the other was empty.

I'd also like to know where the term gogo is derived from.   The last time I saw any real "go" in a gay bar was at Toolbox in Phnom Penh.  This wasn't describing itself as a gogo, but at least it had some boys with "go".

Please excuwe any typos. Using a tablet is harder work than a PC.

1 hour ago, z909 said:

A short opening post.

Gay gogo bars are becoming rarer in Thailand. I estimate Pattaya was down to 8 before the latest lockdown.  That's an estimate, since what matters is how many reopen when tourism picks up.

In Chiang Mai last year, I visited 3 gogo bars and only one had gogo boys.  One was cabaret with nothing else and the other was empty.

I'd also like to know where the term gogo is derived from.   The last time I saw any real "go" in a gay bar was at Toolbox in Phnom Penh.  This wasn't describing itself as a gogo, but at least it had some boys with "go".

Please excuwe any typos. Using a tablet is harder work than a PC.

That is much more than 2 words!

In my innocence, I had always assumed that "go-go" was short for "go-go dancing." Sadly, the dancing part had almost disappeared by about 2005 to be replaced by "go-go posing".

Were there any gay bars in Thailand where dancing was on the menu  pre-Covid?  I no longer frequent the bars and so it's a genuine question. Winners perhaps?

1 hour ago, Londoner said:

In my innocence, I had always assumed that "go-go" was short for "go-go dancing." Sadly, the dancing part had almost disappeared by about 2005 to be replaced by "go-go posing".

Were there any gay bars in Thailand where dancing was on the menu  pre-Covid?  I no longer frequent the bars and so it's a genuine question. Winners perhaps?

Agreed.   I've never seen dancing at Winner.   On a good night, some play acting, on a bad night, boys bunking off outside for a smoke.   But usually some nice lads to off.

However, according to Wikipedia:

"The origin of the term go-go dancing goes back to a 1949 British film Whisky Galore!. This film tells the story of the sinking of a ship loaded with whiskey. The French title of this film was Whisky à gogo !, "à gogo" being Parisian slang for "galore".[3] During the period that this film was showing in France, discotheques were just introduced as a new form of entertainment. Due to the success of the film and the snob appeal of drinking whiskey in France, a number of discotheques were given the name "Whiskey à Go-Go".

15 hours ago, z909 said:

"The origin of the term go-go dancing goes back to a 1949 British film Whisky Galore!. This film tells the story of the sinking of a ship loaded with whiskey. The French title of this film was Whisky à gogo !, "à gogo" being Parisian slang for "galore".[3] During the period that this film was showing in France, discotheques were just introduced as a new form of entertainment. Due to the success of the film and the snob appeal of drinking whiskey in France, a number of discotheques were given the name "Whiskey à Go-Go".

That's a lovely story but I expect it is more fanciful than reality. I remember seeing that movie on television some time in the 1980s. It featured a number of the great older generation of British character actors like James Robertson Justice, Gordon Jackson, Duncan Macrae and the husky voiced Joan Greenwood.