TotallyOz

Restrictions being lifted

Yes.  To put it in perspective, Samut Sakhon is reporting somewhere around 700 to 900 cases a day and Chonburi typically zero cases per day at present.     Clearly they need to increase restrictions in Samut Sakhon, whilst decreasing them elsewhere. 

17 hours ago, z909 said:

Yes.  To put it in perspective, Samut Sakhon is reporting somewhere around 700 to 900 cases a day and Chonburi typically zero cases per day at present.     Clearly they need to increase restrictions in Samut Sakhon, whilst decreasing them elsewhere. 

I watch, every day, the summary in English of the CCSA press conference meetings.  I can't quite work out why the presenter stresses that the high amount of daily infections (today 756) is not necessarily bad news.

I can only assume that what he refers to as 'active case finding' refers to some sort of 'track and trace' system where many more tests are being done and it therefor follows that there will be far more infections detected than without testing.

Two things I would be interested in seeing --- 1) data to show how many cases have been spread due to alcohol drinking at public places and 2) what is Thailand's 'R' number.

The hundreds of daily cases in Thailand are almost all in one province.  

Like over 700 in one province and zero in Chonburi, day after day.   As I'm in Chonburi and they start reducing restrictions tomorrow, it really isn't bad news.   As long as the army guard the borders of the one province to stop travel, we should be OK.

As for alcohol drinking, I believe the virus spread across Thailand was through the fish markets, after an outbreak at a wholesale fish market.  Instead of shutting the fish trade down, they closed the bars, even though there seems to be little evidence of bars being the problem.  

1 hour ago, z909 said:

Instead of shutting the fish trade down, they closed the bars, even though there seems to be little evidence of bars being the problem.  

well as I'm sure you are well aware, absence of evidence in and of itself doesn't mean anything. If nobody looked for evidence (by running a study), there will be no evidence. And indeed there is anecdotal evidence that drinking and partying DO have the potential to spread the virus. One potential super spreader even currently makes headlines, where a birthday party by a semi-celebrity (DJ Matoom) led to at least 28 infections (more being investigated). So that's evidence that partying is risky. Of course bars are not all the same, and in a gogo bar there will be close to zero interaction between patrons, whereas in a place like Soi 2 or Fake Club there will be plenty. Where do you draw the line and distinction as a government? You can't, really, so you do a blanket closure. While I, too, find it an inconvenience, I can relate to the rationale.

My take on bar closure is due to 1) most people would not wear masks since u need your mouth to drink, same with restaurants, thus high risk of exposure. 2) Alcohol impared judgment, which mihht led to not following rule/SOP social distancing etc. Agreed that some bars or some restaurant that serves alcohol can have similar effect but as anddy pointed out, to control the mass, blanket restriction on the bar which have higher risks is easier for the gov to do. Plus, it also play well with their religion too, where alcohol prohibition is a norm. 

Take about mass stupidity. Two nights ago 109 party goers were arrested for taking part in an illegal party on Koh Phangan - 89 foreigners and 20 Thais. Also arrested were the bar owner and the party organiser. The police had been alerted as tickets were being sold on line. I hope the governor carries out his promise.

He [Surat Thai Governor] had ordered strict action be taken against the offenders, to send the message that breaches of restrictions to contain the spread of the disease would not be tolerated.

https://www.bangkokpost.com/thailand/general/2058119/party-goers-arrested-on-koh-phangan

1 hour ago, gerefan said:

No such luck. They were fined 4000 baht each. Less than the cost of a nights good drinking!!

OMG  You can spend 4,000 on liquor in a night?  You must be an avid fan? :) Or,  just going to Moonlight and have a few sips.

7 hours ago, Michael said:

For intellectual and information purposes only!

I'd call it an empirical study, very scientific approach ;) 

Been meaning to post about it for a long time now, but either forgot or didn't know where a suitable place/thread would be. Here is not perfect either, but what the heck lol. One not-so-sad observation I made a few months ago in Silom was that Hooters on the corner of Silom and Thaniya has closed down. Presumably a victim of the covid-induced lack of tourists. Good riddance I'd say!

Otherwise, many many changes happen around the general area. Many places closed, many "for rent/sale" signs, some places being renovated to make room for something else, buildings being torn down and new construction sites emerging. 

6 hours ago, anddy said:

Otherwise, many many changes happen around the general area. Many places closed, many "for rent/sale" signs, some places being renovated to make room for something else, buildings being torn down and new construction sites emerging. 

what's going on in the soi Twilight site?, still ruins or new shiny mall / hotel being erected ?

The Soi Twilight site had high fencing around it and nothing is above that yet (late December).

On the subject of restrictions being lifted, where is a good resource for info on inter provincial travel ?

We were banned from leaving Chonburi, without paperwork.  I imagine that's going to get relaxed.  

However, for example, Phuket had 14 day quarantine for people arriving in the province.     So in principle, if I wanted to take a domestic flight, then return by train, it would be wise to check the rules in every province I travel through.   Phuket is just an example and isn't top of my list of places to go.

Incidentally, the governor of Chonburi has ordered the closure of all hotels, so they can claim for staff salaries from the government.  Apparently, there are exemptions for currently checked in guests and in any case my residence is classed as "appartments".

3 hours ago, vinapu said:

what's going on in the soi Twilight site?, still ruins or new shiny mall / hotel being erected ?

The plot has been fully cleared, has the usual high steel construction fencing around it and a sign proclaiming that it will be another luxury condo of the Ashton brand. No construction has started yet.

1 hour ago, Michael said:

Saladang One is beautiful and totally new with lots of apartments available. The Met has some of the cheapest rates I have seen in ages. The Ascott is a place I love in that area and the rates are to die for!

people are dying for motherland or for love but for rental rates?

22 hours ago, anddy said:

The plot has been fully cleared, has the usual high steel construction fencing around it and a sign proclaiming that it will be another luxury condo of the Ashton brand. No construction has started yet.

very convenient, just across from Moonlight and Patpong, truly dream come true

On 1/30/2021 at 8:26 PM, Michael said:

Saladang One is beautiful and totally new with lots of apartments available. The Met has some of the cheapest rates I have seen in ages. The Ascott is a place I love in that area and the rates are to die for!

There are also some very good restaurants on that soi. I have dined three times at the relatively new The Commons. This is a group of very nice smallish restaurants in a cluster rather like a small shopping mall.

The one restaurant I avoid on that soi is Bitterman. Only dined once but the service was dreadful and the food little better than mediocre.

On 2/25/2021 at 10:40 AM, PeterRS said:

There are also some very good restaurants on that soi. I have dined three times at the relatively new The Commons. This is a group of very nice smallish restaurants in a cluster rather like a small shopping mall.

The one restaurant I avoid on that soi is Bitterman. Only dined once but the service was dreadful and the food little better than mediocre.

Funny, I had dinner at Bitterman last week with friends; the service and the food were both quite good....