Guest MissMarples

Laos

Guest MissMarples

I have a bf from Laos. I have read many times about farang having trouble when sleeping with a Laos national, when in Laos. It is against the law if you are not married.

I haven't read anything negative about gay guys, and my bf says I read too much and not to believe the internet. However i am a touch concerned for when I visit there.

Anyone have any info that could help me?

I spent a week in Luang Prabang in 2004 with my Chiangmai bf and I never saw any problem (we stayed at the Villa Santi Resort a couple of miles out of town). Come to think of it, I don't remember seeing many gay couples at all up there but I also don't remember having any concerns at all.

I do remember that when landing at the little airport there, I was duly unimpressed with the 4 little

Ho Chi Minh types at immigration control in the terminal. They were dressed up in those goofy uniforms and were not friendly at all. I had previously wondered what limitations/concerns I might have visiting a country controlled by a communist government and those 4 guys renewed my concern.

However, for the next 6 days, I never saw any government people let along a single policeman. The Luang Prabang people were all very friendly and obviously didn't give a hoot what or where their government was (so long, I suspect, as they don't bother them).

The Luang Prabang people were all very friendly and obviously didn't give a hoot what or where their government was (so long, I suspect, as they don't bother them).

"May God bless and keep the Tsar . . . . . far away from us." - The Rabbi, 'Fiddler on the Roof'

Actually, I have never heard of any kind of gay harassment at all in Laos. I think MissMarples' boyfriend is right: Don't believe everything you read on the Internet.

I have a bf from Laos. I have read many times about farang having trouble when sleeping with a Laos national, when in Laos. It is against the law if you are not married.

I haven't read anything negative about gay guys, and my bf says I read too much and not to believe the internet. However i am a touch concerned for when I visit there.

Anyone have any info that could help me?

I have basically read that prostitution is illegal & any Laotian sleeping with a foreigner would be assumed to be "working".

So, arriving with a Thai boyfriend should circumvent that problem.

I would also like to learn more, so does anyone have recent experience of visiting Laos & meeting the locals?

It is illegal, but the tourist dollar is far more important then the rule. I had no problems in either Vietianne or Lao Pabang, nor did any of the other Farangs I talked to. Someone wrote that law to look good, but trust me, no one cares.

It is illegal, but the tourist dollar is far more important then the rule. I had no problems in either Vietianne or Lao Pabang, nor did any of the other Farangs I talked to. Someone wrote that law to look good, but trust me, no one cares.

Sounds good. Where are the meeting places in Luang Prabang?

I had no problems in either Vietianne or Lao Pabang, nor did any of the other Farangs I talked to.

Nor any farangs I've talked to. I know of no cases in which a farang was ever arrested or hassled in any way when it comes to gay sex in Laos.

Also, in Vientiane you get a much better exchange rate at any number of black market stalls at the Morning Market. That's illegal too, but that's what everybody does. I also know of no problems anyone has ever had making those exchanges. I cant say anything about Luang Prabang. I've never been there.

But in Laos, don't try to exchange very much. You'll need a railroad car to contain all the Kip. The last time I was in Laos I exchanged US $20 and wound up with a wad of cash thicker than the Manhattan telephone directory.

Guest fountainhall

Luang Prabang used to have a gay bar and a gay-friendly disco. Even on the street or by the river, many of the boys made it clear they were interested in more than just a friendly hello.

Guest ryanasia

I live in Laos and going with guys is no problem at all. The law only applies to heterosexuals as far as I know. When Lao people see gay guys they just say ladyboy and laugh a bit. They don't seem to be bothered.

I live in Laos and going with guys is no problem at all. The law only applies to heterosexuals as far as I know. When Lao people see gay guys they just say ladyboy and laugh a bit. They don't seem to be bothered.

Judging by the number of unwelcome approaches from female prostitutes late at night in Vientiane, I figure there must also be many female hookers sleeping with westerners, irrespective of what the law says. Luckily there are also some cute males available in that town.