Guest EXPAT

"The Normal Heart" coming to HBO (finally)

Great news for fans of Larry Kramer's groundbreaking 1985 play The Normal Heart! It's finally heading to the (small) screen. Ryan Murphy will direct, Larry Kramer himself is adapting the screenplay and Julia Roberts, Mark Ruffalo, and Matt Bomer are attached to star.

Production starts later this year in NYC. The Normal Heart is about the terrifying and tragic early days of HIV-AIDS crisis in New York City. Ruffalo will play Ned Weeks, a gay New Yorker who watches while the mysterious new disease claims so many around him. Roberts plays the paraplegic physician who treats several of the earliest victims. Matt Bomer plays the reporter who becomes Ned’s lover.

We can't wait for this one. Are you as excited as we are?

Here's the full HBO press release...

JULIA ROBERTS AND MARK RUFFALO TO STAR IN HBO FILMS’ THE NORMAL HEART, DIRECTED BY RYAN MURPHY; LARRY KRAMER ADAPTS HIS TONY AWARD-WINNING PLAY; MATT BOMER CO-STARS; RYAN MURPHY, JASON BLUM, DEDE GARDNER AND DANTE DI LORETO EXECUTIVE PRODUCE

--------

Film Goes Into Production Later This Year For 2014 Debut

--------

LOS ANGELES, Jan. 4, 2013 – Academy Award® winner Julia Roberts and Academy Award® nominee Mark Ruffalo will star in the HBO Films drama THE NORMAL HEART, directed by Emmy® winner Ryan Murphy (“Eat Pray Love,” “Glee”), it was announced today by Michael Lombardo, president, HBO Programming. Slated to begin production in New York City later this year for 2014 debut on HBO, the film is written by Larry Kramer, adapting his groundbreaking Tony Award-winning play of the same name.

“We are so proud to be involved with this monumental project,” said Lombardo. “Ryan has assembled an extraordinary cast to bring Larry Kramer’s landmark theatrical achievement to the screen for the first time, and we couldn’t be more thrilled to bring this important film to HBO.”

Executive produced by Ryan Murphy, Jason Blum (the “Paranormal Activity” series, “The Reader”), Dede Gardner (“The Tree of Life,” “Eat Pray Love”) and Dante Di Loreto (“Glee,” HBO’s “Temple Grandin”), THE NORMAL HEART tells the story of the onset of the HIV-AIDS crisis in New York City in the early 1980s, taking an unflinching look at the nation’s sexual politics as gay activists and their allies in the medical community fought to expose the truth about the burgeoning epidemic to a city in denial.

Roberts plays Dr. Emma Brookner, the paraplegic physician who treats several of the earliest victims of the disease. Ruffalo portrays Ned Weeks, who witnesses first-hand the mysterious disease that has begun to claim the lives of many in his gay community and starts to seek answers. Matt Bomer (“White Collar,” “Magic Mike”) plays Felix Turner, a reporter who becomes Ned’s lover.

In 1981, writer Larry Kramer hosted a gathering of six gay men and their friends to discuss the “gay cancer,” and to talk about fundraising for research. This informal meeting in Kramer’s home would lead to the formation of Gay Men’s Health Crisis, one of the first advocacy groups for HIV prevention and care.

Kramer’s play debuted at New York’s Public Theatre in 1985 and was revived in Los Angeles and London and off-Broadway. The 2011 Broadway revival garnered five Tony nominations, winning for Best Revival, Best Featured Actor and Best Featured Actress.

Guest EXPAT

I watched "The Normal Heart" tonight on HBO. It was overwhelming, alarmingly good and disturbing all at once. The acting was excellent as was the directing. It was almost too much to watch. Mark Ruffalo was incredible in the lead and deserves every award coming to him for that role.

It is a must see if you haven't seen it yet.

Guest Paragon

I think Mark Ruffalo is a great actor, but wish they had found a gay guy to play his role in The Normal Heart. But thanks for letting me know how good the HBO show is. I saw it at the Public when it was revived a few years ago.

Guest Paragon

Last night I spoke to two veterans of the AIDS crisis in San Francisco, and they hated this production. Since I didn't see it, I could only mention that several guys here liked it a lot.

• Members

I watched it and I liked it. I hit the gay scene in 1981 in Toronto. I still remember the panic. I think the movie capture that feeling very well. That panic scared me into being extremely cautious about hook ups. I was a virtual nun for a time.

I'm now in my 50s and one of the few of my circle friends to still be alive. So it was hard to watch and I shed a few tears. But I'm an advocate of letting out the sadness now and again. After all, I am a sissy! :P

Did anyone else watch this?

It was very moving for me to watch as I had friends that lived through that in the 1980's.

Also, the scene with Matt Bomer's ass was delightful. However, his transformation at the end was chilling. I was in tears more than once.

Some great performances in this.

Guest EXPAT

Did anyone else watch this?

It was very moving for me to watch as I had friends that lived through that in the 1980's.

Also, the scene with Matt Bomer's ass was delightful. However, his transformation at the end was chilling. I was in tears more than once.

Some great performances in this.

Oz, there is a thread about this in the gay movie section. Check it out.

Oz, there is a thread about this in the gay movie section. Check it out.

Thanks. I thought there was a thread but could not find it when I posted. I did a search but I guess I spelled normal wrong as zero results came up. Is that normal? ^_^

Anyway, thanks for pointing this out.

I am glad others saw this and liked it.

Guest EXPAT

So far everyone I know that has seen has loved it. I was skeptical at first because there seems to be an endless supply of AIDS related movies and they all are mediocre at best. But this one was the best by far.

Guest Paragon

It's good to know that so many liked the show. I don't really know why my friends in SF did not- they wouldn't say. Some still have AIDS fatigue, and that could be the reason, but I hope not as there is still work to do.

Guest EXPAT

Is this movie eligible for consideration in the Oscars, or would have to have had a theatrical release?

No. But it has already been sent to the Academy for EMMY consideration. they are advertising for it in the LA Times ENVELOPE Every Thursday.