Lucky

Picnic- A Cock in A Henhouse

• Members

Here is the main attraction in the revival of the play Picnic:

PICNIC-articleLarge.jpg

The NY Times even began its review: "The Roundabout Theater Company’s revival of William Inge’s “Picnic” opened on Sunday night, starring an exceptionally well-developed torso."

I saw the play last week myself, and my recommendation is that you read that review: http://theater.nytimes.com/2013/01/14/theater/reviews/picnic-at-american-airlines-theater.html?hpw

Ben Brantley does his best to point out the good points of the play- the set, the costumes- but he pretty much came to the same conclusion that I did. The play is not very interesting. 60 years ago it was "the last word in sexual frankness." But we've come a long way since then, and this Picnic hasn't. At today's theater prices, your dollar can be better spent.

I remember seeing Ellen Burstyn play Jared Leto's mother in the movie Requiem for A Dream and being so impressed with her acting. last year I saw her off-Broadway in one of the worst plays I have ever seen, and now with Picnic it looks like I will never see her act as well as she did in that movie. Too bad.

The title of this thread includes the line "a cock in a henhouse." That line comes from Ben Brantley's review, just in case you won't be reading it and might think the line is mine.