TotallyOz

Cooking with a Pressure Cooker

Everyone once in a while I need a new kitchen gadget and this month I bought a new pressure cooker and I am LOVING it! I made this yesterday and it was delish!

Vegetable Chili

INGREDIENTS | SERVES 8

2 tablespoons olive or vegetable oil

1 large sweet onion, diced

3 cloves garlic, minced

1 15-ounce can pinto beans, rinsed and drained

1 15-ounce can kidney beans, rinsed and drained

1 15-ounce can cannellini or white beans, rinsed and drained

1 large green bell pepper, seeded and diced

2 cups zucchini, diced

1½ cups corn

1 28-ounce can diced tomatoes

2 cups Vegetable Stock (page 29)

2 tablespoons chili powder

1 teaspoon cumin

1 teaspoon dried oregano

¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper

1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper

Salt, to taste

8 ounces shredded Monterey jack cheese, or vegan Monterey jack cheese

Bring the oil to temperature in the pressure cooker over medium heat. Add the onion; sauté for 3 minutes or until it begins to soften. Stir in the garlic; sauté for 30 seconds. Stir in the canned beans, green bell pepper, zucchini, corn, tomatoes, stock, chili powder, cumin, oregano, black pepper, and cayenne pepper. Stir to mix.

Lock the lid into place and bring to high pressure; maintain pressure for 5 minutes.

Remove from the heat and allow pressure to release naturally. Remove the lid, stir, and taste for seasoning.

Add salt if desired. Serve topped with grated cheese. PER

SERVING Calories: 370 | Fat: 14g | Protein: 20g | Sodium: 690mg | Carbohydrates: 47g | Fiber: 12g

• Members

I've never used a pressure cooker but over the last month or so I've been starting to use a slow cooker (crock pot). I really find it an easy way to make soups, stews, chilis, gumbos, etc.

The veggie chili does sound quite delicious. I love to try new variations of old standards, and I will definitely give this a try.

I do notice that many of the veggie recipes I find rely on using a lot of beans. I love beans but the side effects can be quite annoying at times ^_^

I believe in the Zombie Apocalypse. Or, Covid19 or something. Like a good Southern boy, I stock up on food when I think there is going to be a snowstorm. Last year I bought more frozen chicken than I can to discuss. I have been slowly using it in my Instapot. This week, I put the chick in the Instapot for 15 min with water and a bag of soup mix and do the pressure cooker setting. I then use it to make fried rice with chicken with some eggs and veggies. Yummy! And, it last for 2 days. Slowly, all my chicken is disappearing from the freezer and going to good use.

On 1/20/2013 at 2:24 PM, TotallyOz said:

Everyone once in a while I need a new kitchen gadget and this month I bought a new pressure cooker and I am LOVING it! I made this yesterday and it was delish!

Vegetable Chili

INGREDIENTS | SERVES 8

2 tablespoons olive or vegetable oil

1 large sweet onion, diced

3 cloves garlic, minced

1 15-ounce can pinto beans, rinsed and drained

1 15-ounce can kidney beans, rinsed and drained

1 15-ounce can cannellini or white beans, rinsed and drained

1 large green bell pepper, seeded and diced

2 cups zucchini, diced

1½ cups corn

1 28-ounce can diced tomatoes

2 cups Vegetable Stock (page 29)

2 tablespoons chili powder

1 teaspoon cumin

1 teaspoon dried oregano

¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper

1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper

Salt, to taste

8 ounces shredded Monterey jack cheese, or vegan Monterey jack cheese

Bring the oil to temperature in the pressure cooker over medium heat. Add the onion; sauté for 3 minutes or until it begins to soften. Stir in the garlic; sauté for 30 seconds. Stir in the canned beans, green bell pepper, zucchini, corn, tomatoes, stock, chili powder, cumin, oregano, black pepper, and cayenne pepper. Stir to mix.

Lock the lid into place and bring to high pressure; maintain pressure for 5 minutes.

Remove from the heat and allow pressure to release naturally. Remove the lid, stir, and taste for seasoning.

Add salt if desired. Serve topped with grated cheese. PER

SERVING Calories: 370 | Fat: 14g | Protein: 20g | Sodium: 690mg | Carbohydrates: 47g | Fiber: 12g

Thanks for the recipe! 

On 1/21/2013 at 1:24 PM, wayout said:

I've never used a pressure cooker but over the last month or so I've been starting to use a slow cooker (crock pot). I really find it an easy way to make soups, stews, chilis, gumbos, etc.

The veggie chili does sound quite delicious. I love to try new variations of old standards, and I will definitely give this a try.

I do notice that many of the veggie recipes I find rely on using a lot of beans. I love beans but the side effects can be quite annoying at times ^_^

Good to see some other fans of veggie recipes here.

Soak the beans in hot water and discard the water afterwards.  Rinse thoroughly.