dapitt

Luang Prabang Hotels

I am in LP at the moment. It is really beautiful here and the weather is just gorgeous. Warm during the day but not too hot and chilly at night.

I am staying at the 3 Nagas which is very nice, but there are a million little hotels and guests houses all over the city which also look very nice on the outside at least. Frankly I think 3 Nagas is overpriced for what it is, but the staff are nice. Breakfast is very good but there isn't enough of it.

Sorry I can't be of much more help.

There are tons of gay men here in Luang Prabang. Either that or they are just really friendly. My gay guide seems to know a lot of them though. We are going out to the gay bar tonight.

Frankly I think 3 Nagas is overpriced for what it is, but the staff are nice.

We are going out to the gay bar tonight.

What is their price.

Also, please fill us in on the details of the gay bar. Is there only one gay bar? What kind of bar is it? Go-go bar? Host bar? Beer bar? Is off allowed? How much for off and how much does a boy expect to be paid? What's the name of the bar? Where is it?

The more you can tell us, the better.

When I was in Luang Prabang 4-5 years ago, there were two "gay" bars. We went to the first one (sorry don't know the name but it was 3-4 blocks southeast of Mount Phousi, the giant hill in the middle of the town) but litterally nobody was there and we left. Then we went to the other (again, can't recall the name but it was run by a Belgian guy and what I presumed was his Lao boyfriend and it's located about 1 block northeast of Mount Phousi) and had an enjoyable time talking with the owner (he even had us sample various flavors of ice cream he was making in the kitchen that night).

I'd describe the bars as just bars. I saw no boys that appeared to be "offable" but, to be frank, I didn't really ask much about that as I was there with my Chiangmai bf. There was no dancing or stage or anything of the like. But the Belgian guy (maybe 55-60?) was very affable and was aware of everything going on in Luang Prabang. He explained to me that there was gay activity in the area but it was very subdued so as not to bring attention to the authorities. I got the impression that he could hook me up with somebody if I was interested (I didn't pursue that given the bf was sitting right next to me when that was said). Sorry, that's all I remember.

The bartender at that bar (who I presumed may have been the bf of the Belgian guy) was a very handsome dude about (guess) 25-30 years old (and I hope he wasn't offended by my constant glances toward him...hehe).

The bar is just a bar as noted above. I'd say probably more "gay friendly" than strictly gay. It is located on the road along the Nam Khan river sort of northeast of Phousi. They show movies there frequently I gather. Last night was The Bourne Ultimatum. People lounging inside the bar were watching the movie. Folks at a couple of tables outside were chatting. The bar is owned by an American and his Lao boyfriend. They also own the Lao Lao Gardens restaurant across the street. Very cute wait staff, but that is the case at pretty much every restaurant in town. The young men here are adorable. I don't believe that any of the waiters were "offable" in the traditional sense. As noted the gay scene here is very lowkey. But we pass a lot of "sisters" on the street who know my guide. I saw a ladyboy working at the main Wat yesterday. For a town this small there seem to be a lot of gay folks, but I suppose all of the western tourists may be part of the reason. I get the feeling people are much freer here than they would be in a small traditional village that has little or no contact with outsiders.

I think Luang Prabang is definitely worth a visit, but not for the gay life.

As for what I am paying at 3 Nagas, I can't really give you an answer to that. I am booked through Purple Dragon so it is part of their tour module. I think rates are at least $140/night though. One other drawback of being here is that it is right on the main street so it is very noisy with motos and tuktuks. The earplugs are necessary.

Another thing I would note is that much is made of the monks' procession each morning to collect food from the people. I have seen it described as a very sacred and spiritual experience. But I have to say that yesterday morning at least it was very much like an assembly line. They send out the young novice boys to collect the food. There is no chanting or praying. They just move as quickly as they can. Of course it has been quite chilly, the start of cold season apparently, so those poor kids are probably trying to get back home to the monastery as quickly as they can to warm up. Walking barefoot in nothing but a little monk's robe must be tough.

The bar is just a bar as noted above. I'd say probably more "gay friendly" than strictly gay. It is located on the road along the Nam Khan river sort of northeast of Phousi. They also own the Lao Lao Gardens restaurant across the street.

Yep, that's the place (I knew they owned the joint across the street but I never went there). And, yes, probably better to label the places as "gay friendly" rather than "gay."

If you go to this particular bar, I'll bet you'll find the owner very friendly and helpful with advice about activities occurring in LP. He was with us.