Ojibear

Call Me By Your Name

• Members

I watched, the very anticipated, "Call Me by Your Name".  I read the book this summer and liked it a lot.  There has been a lot of hype about the release of the movie and I was counting the minutes until it was released.  I was worried it would be a let down, but, it wasn't thanks to Timothee Chalamet's performance.

What an amazing young actor he is.  He is practically in every scene and he never drops the ball.  He brought memories back of my own first love experiences and the agony that involved.  Armie Hammar is the perfect foil.  He's the unobtainable American beauty.  Tall, blonde, masculine, confident, and extraordinarily handsome.  Decades ago, I had an experience with a very handsome guy who was way beyond my league.  However, one crazy New Year's Eve, we consummated our friendship.  It's an experience I'll never forget.

For an art house film, it never becomes too "literary" or "artsy".  A beautiful summer in Northern Italy, which is the perfect setting to have your first heartbreaking romance.  

If Chalamet doesn't receive an Oscar nomination it will be a travesty!

• Members
On 12/22/2017 at 9:49 PM, Lucky said:

I saw it in New York a few weeks ago, but it still has not come to the desert in SOCAL. It's a good movie, although a little long. Can you imagine if an older guy carried on with a 17 year old what the fallout would be these days?

It held my attention throughout. I agree with you that if it was an older man, there would be a lynch mob. Something as simple as an attraction between a younger and an older man has been complicated beyond all reason. Pretty soon you'll need a priest, a rabbi and an imam, plus 3 lawyers to sign off on all sexual relationships.

• Members
8 hours ago, Lucky said:

On March 16th, another coming of age film opens, Love, Simon, starring the handsome Nick Robinson. (Nick is 22.)

actor-101-nick-robinson-02.jpg

In the film, he plays a 17-year old.

More: http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/movies/la-ca-mn-sneaks-love-simon-20180112-story.html

This is on my radar. Really want to see it.

• Members

It's 1.28.18:  I managed to see "Call Me..." some 4 hours ago and truly liked this film.  ...dynamic story line and beautifully portrayed.  ...might go to another theater and watch again, for I personally did not like the room where it is currently showing.  ...shown in our art theater-- but it's in the smallest space.  My legs could not spread out; thus my knees ached a bit once it ended.  :smile::smile:

• Members

I saw Call Me By Your Name at two film festivals last year. Full disclosure: I'm known as an angel. Love the Q&A's at these events. I've watched the film several more times since then. I can also recommend André Aciman's book.

I think Call Me By Your Name is a hugely important film for the gay community, for bisexual men, and for anyone who believes in first loves.

I've been trying to catch up on the internet since I've returned from Europe. There seems to be some interesting commentary on this film over at Daddy's. I happened to catch a Benjamin Nicholas post on the subject. All I can say about that is, "Good grief!"

To start, the blog post that he links to in his "Call Me" post should come with a disclaimer. If you click the link, be prepared for the slap in the face you'll receive with an awful photograph of BN. (Here it is:)

Facetune-2.jpg

Considering the blog post is about educated skincare, I've never seen a more ugly photo of skin. He also looks like he's recovering from a black eye, or he hasn't slept in weeks. I've never seen such blotchy, discolored skin, not even on the patients leaving my Park Avenue dermatologist's office. In fairness, the reflection image in the mirror is hot.

Then poor Ben-with-bad-skin slips on his Ebert-hat and offers a critique of the movie Call Me By Your Name. Where did he see this super important film? On an airplane while en route to London. Say what?

Anyone, and I mean anyone who flies knows, the absolute worst place to watch a movie is on a plane. I don't care what plane you're flying in or where your seat is located. On top of that, Call Me By Your Name is the worst movie to watch on a plane. It's sort of like putting ketchup on foie gras and eating it with a plastic fork. Sheesh. And then BN has the gall to offer a tacky, thoughtless review of this very special work of art.

The killer quote for me, "Armie Hammer…can’t act his way out of a paper bag." BN has used the tired "paper bag" critique before on a number of people he apparently doesn't like.

Saying that Armie Hammer "can’t act his way out of a paper bag" almost gives credential to Cindy Crawford's attempt at acting in Fair Game. I can assure every reader, Armie Hammer is NO Cindy Crawford.

Needless to say, I love the film Call Me By Your Name. On a shoestring budget and against all odds, Luca Guadagnino created another masterpiece. All the names associated with this film deserve elevated attention: the fucking brilliant Timothée Chalamet, Michael Stuhlbarg, Esther Garrel, Amira Casar, André Aciman, James Ivory, Sufjan Stevens, and yes, Armie Hammer. This film would not be what it is, what it will mean moving forward, without the generous contribution of Armie Hammer's gifts. Armie Hammer is crucial to this movie.

Call Me By Your Name is a film that deserves to be seen more than once. Like a fine wine, it deserves to be savored, especially by men with good taste.

• Members

I have now read the book, and seen the movie again. I liked the book a lot, despite a tough start. It sure redeems itself by the end. The movie suffers in comparison. It was my second viewing, and this time I felt that Arnie Hammer was miscast as Oliver. The novel had much more credibility. And the movie is still too long!

I think Ben looks great for his age. I wish I looked anywhere near as sexy when I was that age. He is still a beautiful man and the ass shot is great.

As for his review, like RockHard, I totally disagree.  I thought the film is worth a visit.

I was a bit bored for the first 1.5 hours but when the dad's speech to the son was on, I was memorized. Totally. I loved the ending.  I liked the beginning.  The middle was OK.  But, I thought a pretty story to be told.

• Members
15 hours ago, Lucky said:

I have now read the book, and seen the movie again.

Good for you!

15 hours ago, Lucky said:

It was my second viewing, and this time I felt that Arnie Hammer was miscast as Oliver.

Interesting. I felt Hammer was miscast after seeing the film the first time. If you mess up Armie's hair, as if he just got out of bed, he can appear to look remarkably younger. But they chose to keep his hair slicked throughout the entire film, which makes everyone look older and more sophisticated. I felt he wasn't a believable age-24. It's not easy to ever make a 6'5" guy look younger than he is. Armie barely looked young enough in Social Network, IMO.

By the second viewing of Call Me By Your Name, and after spending time with Armie after the Q&As, I fell smitten. It no longer mattered that he didn't look the part. He was the perfect Hollywood actor/star to play this character. Casting is everything. The electric, magnetic chemistry between Armie and Timothée is a gift from the movie gods, and its importance to the film can't be ignored or taken for granted. Without Armie and the actor's chemistry, it's possible this movie would have gone nowhere.

5 hours ago, TotallyOz said:

I was a bit bored for the first 1.5 hours

Luckily, I don't bore easily. I like to watch, listen, study, and analyze. Once I fall in love with a book or a film, I never want it to end.

It does take awhile for this story to build, for Elio to realize what is happening to him. I had a sense some folks would complain about the pace. It's a popular complaint. Having seen the film numerous times, I love its pace. But, then again, I love my time spent in Italy, and nobody rushes through life in Italy. I felt at home with the pace of this film.

5 hours ago, TotallyOz said:

I think Ben looks great for his age. I wish I looked anywhere near as sexy when I was that age. He is still a beautiful man and the ass shot is great.

I agree that Benjamin looks great. It was the juxtaposition of a bad photograph talking about "educated skincare" that got me. Add that to a review of this film in particular, written after viewing the film on an overseas flight, I was disappointed he wasn't more thoughtful. But I'm extremely biased about this film for obvious reasons.

I'm enjoying his return to Daddy's. I don't always agree with him, but I enjoy his mind and his sense of humor. And his ass is a killer. My weakness.

Not to brag or anything like that, I looked great at his age. I'm still not looking so bad, at least that's what everyone keeps telling me. I don't care much for educated skincare, because I think good skin is all in the genes. Some of us are luckier than others. But beauty is only skin deep.