mvan1

Brazil visa can now be obtained on line -

• Members
4 hours ago, SolaceSoul said:

What would probably exponentially increase US tourism to Brazil is the elimination of the required tourist visa.

Does the U.S. require Brazilians to have visas?  I think it does; thus reciprocity comes into play.  Also, I think we still have too many persons in this country thinking that Brazil is a violent country, or Rio de Janeiro at least. 

From 2002 until 2011, I traveled to Brazil and loved as I still do.  When I would tell folks that I was traveling there, inevitably I would to hear: "...is it dangerous?" 

I attempted to dispel their unwarranted fears by talking to them about traveling to large cities in this country that have a reputation (warranted or not) about violence.

But, in any case, it would be great if more folks from this country visited my favorite country and city!  ...hope to return one of these days but right now I am concentrating in other travels.

• Members
3 hours ago, axiom2001 said:

Does the U.S. require Brazilians to have visas?  I think it does; thus reciprocity comes into play.  Also, I think we still have too many persons in this country thinking that Brazil is a violent country, or Rio de Janeiro at least. 

From 2002 until 2011, I traveled to Brazil and loved as I still do.  When I would tell folks that I was traveling there, inevitably I would to hear: "...is it dangerous?" 

I attempted to dispel their unwarranted fears by talking to them about traveling to large cities in this country that have a reputation (warranted or not) about violence.

But, in any case, it would be great if more folks from this country visited my favorite country and city!  ...hope to return one of these days but right now I am concentrating in other travels.

Yes, Brazil started requiring a fingerprinted and photograph visa for US travelers sometime around 2002 when W’s administration instituted such a tightened visa requirement for Brazilians to enter the USA after the 9/11 terrorist attacks, stating that there was terrorism activity in and around the Brazilian borders (if this makes little sense to you — you aren’t alone).

I completely understand the reasoning behind reciprocity as it is meant to treat other countries the way that they treat Brazil, which can be demeaning and like third-class citizens. Unfortunately, this show of pride does not put food on the table during a major economic downturn.

Brazil completely waived tourist visa requirements for US citizens during a 6-month period for the Rio Olympics, and I believe for the World Cup, too.

I am not keen on seeing an influx of fat obnoxious entitled-acting pasty-white Wal-Mart-shopping American tourists in Brazil. One of the reasons I go is to escape them! However, if it helps the Brazilian country and its people, then I am for the change.

• Members

This now makes Argentina the bigger bully, at least costwise ... 15% of visitors to Brazil aim for Iguassu Falls.

I don't care too much about the change in convenience level of documentation. It is more about cascade effects such as the local economy, but Sao Paulo and Rio are likely the only areas to really benefit. I realize this eliminates one barrier for the less committed. 

More importantly, will we see airlines naming their fare price based on revised  supply/demand, or will we experience an expansion in transportation options? How about Rio direct from LA, Chicago, a major CDN city? 

And I do not think Bahia region will benefit much. It is targeted by about 3% of visitors. Who the fuck wants the ridiculous zigzag getting to Salvador requires? A weekly direct flight, at a minimum, would be great.

But now there is the potential tourist offset of a spike in yellow fever in a major destination, SP, where locals are in queue for a fractionated inoculation. Poor Brazil cannot catch a break. In Canada at the travel clinic reception while waiting for my flu vacc, the phones constantly ringing with requests for YF vaccine. I was fortunate to get a permanent inculation in a hospital Tropical Med clinic. $200.

• Members

My friend applied for a visa on the 25th and still has not received it. They keep on rejecting his photo--first the resolution was too low(they only allow a small file), second they said he had red eyes, third on hold pending review. So I would not count on a rapid turn around time. He waited until the 25th --the first day of online processing because the fee is less and the turnaround time is supposed to be 48 hours but now it's not clear if he will get it in time for his departure next week for Carnival.

So maybe they are just working out the kinks of the system or they are deliberately dragging their feet. If you are planning a trip and planning to apply online for a visa apply early!

• Members

My friend is still waiting for his visa--this was posted on a visa service webpage and pretty much reflects his experience:

1.7  Brazil eVisa System New and Unpredictable

The Brazil eVisa System is new and has many reported problems. While we will try to get these eVisa applications approved as quickly as possible, we cannot guarantee any timelines or due dates due to the fragility of the new Brazil eVisa system. We will remove this notice once their system stabilizes and we can assure completion timelines. 

IMPORTANT: The Brazil eVisa is being exceptionally stringent about HIGH PHOTO QUALITY including these very important aspects: 

1. Good lighting, no shadows, no bright spots.

2. White background. 

3. High Resolution, high quality photo. 

4. Both EARS showing in photo, so if you have long hair, it needs to be pinned back so both ears are showing. 

5. No scarves obstructing the neck area.

6. Photo must be very sharp, not blurry, and at least 600x600 pixels in size.

Brazil is rejecting even high quality photos! When Brazil rejects a photo, expect a 2-3 day delay in processing!

Special Notice: Out of an abundance of caution, due to the unpredictability of the new Brazil eVisa system, all orders for eVisas with travel dates in 3 weeks or less will be automatically converted to traditional paper Visas from Brazil. We are sorry for any inconvenience.

• Members
4 hours ago, Primeone385 said:

Okay this is probably a dumb question so I thank you all in advance for taking time to educate me. Is the visa and passport the same thing. Or can I apply for the visa without getting the passport ?

No, a passport is a travel / identification document specific to the country in which you are a legal citizen. It is applied for and received through that country’s State Department. A visa is a travel entry document for the country in which you wish to visit or stay for a protracted period of time — and it often / usually comes with restrictions and time limitations. It is applied for at that particular country’s embassy or consulate in your home country. 

• Members
On 1/27/2018 at 5:47 AM, sfcastro said:

Much easier to apply online.  Note that the fee is only $40 for US citizens, but the visa is only valid for 2 years versus the 10 year visa that is available from the Brazilian consulate.

I remember years ago the fee was around USD 100 at the consulate for a 10 year tourist visa.