TotallyOz

Gastric Sleeve Surgery in Bangkok

Thanks.  I feel much better but it is not my goal weight. I have about 60 - 70 more pounds to loose and it will go much slower now.  But, truly there was no inconvenience after the surgery except for the liquid diet the first month which I had a Vitamix and blended my food.

• Members

It seems that you have not suffered the many and varied effects of this surgery.  Good.  I have had friends who suffered diarrhea and many other effects.  These diminished after time but did not disappear altogether.  I hope  that yours did not occur or, if they did, disappeared completely and soon.

Best regards,

RA1

RA, honestly, it all depends on the doctor you get and how much of the stomach they take away. My doc I researched and he took enough to loose weight but not enough to have major side effects afterwards.  That said, during the month of juices, I had a hard time taking a dump. But, it was every few days and not daily like I'm use to.  Now, it is all back to normal now that I'm on a regular food menu. I have had zero acid re-flux and never any throwing up.  I talked to multiple patients of this doctor and they all said the same. But, each person will be different of course.  I do follow the doctor's directions to a t.  Except, I have brown sugar with my cafe latte each morning. He hates sugar in all forms.

• Members

I have an old friend who had his stomach stapled and some intestines removed a few years ago.  He did lose a lot of weight very soon and continued to lose some subsequently.  However, he did suffer digestive problems resulting in trips to the bathroom and various other complications.  He also began popping Beano in large quantities.  At this point he is thinking he has become allergic to various things he was not previously allergic to,  such as coffee.  Some of these symptoms can likely be attributed to age.  Regardless, he has lost a significant amount of weight, kept it off and is happy so far as I can tell.

Best wishes for you to do at least as well.

Best regards,

RA1 

I have heard of others with complications.  I have had none yet.  Well, I am now addicted to oatmeal for breakfast so not sure that is a bad thing.

My taste buds have not changed but I had a sleeve and not a bypass and there was a big difference and thus why I opted for the sleeve.

Guest leakyleaks

I am an older guy and have had a weight problem most of my adult life. I am 5 foot 8 inches tall. My highest weight was 248 pounds at the start of 2015. At that time I was not really watching my weight and didn't really put any effort into controlling the weight.

I had some health problems in early 2015 and my doctor told me to lose weight. I have been putting in alot of effort - cardio, dieting, etc and got the weight down to 225 by the end of 2015 and about 210 now.

There are several tricks that are helpful for me:

1. Avoid restaurants, especially buffets. You can''t tell from the menu how much food you are going to get.  I will generally eat whatever is put in front of me, even if it is an oversize meal and will not have the willpower to stop. Cooking at home I can measure out the calories.

2. Split your meals into smaller meals with fewer calories. Instead of the traditional 3 meals a day I eat a small breakfast, a small snack at 10AM a small lunch, a small snack at 3PM and a small dinner at 7PM. This works for me.

3. medications - In the USA they all require a doctors prescription. I talked with my doctor about this, but the meds all tend to be stimulants, and I would rather not deal with the side effects, so I have lost weight the natural way.

Since 2015 my pants size gone from size 42 down to size 38 and my shirt size has gone from XXL down to L. I am good at 210 pounds and not having the same medical problems as at 248, so I am happy where I'm at.

Sincerely,

Leakyleaks

So far, 7 months in and now 133 pounds lost. Still, a long way to go but happy to be headed in the right direction.  Not much of a change in lifestyle other than more exercise and less food per meal.  However, I just go over Dengue Fever and that took me out for over a week. 

1 hour ago, caeron said:

Congratulations. 

I have lost about 110 the old fashioned way. I went from size 46 pants to size 34. 

Lots of exercise and watching my diet. Work out 5 or 6 days a week. I'm in better shape than I've been my entire life.

It is hard to keep the focus but the results are worth it to me. 

Ditto. Age 59, inserting 5 miles/day of very pleasant outdoor walking into the routine has taken me (5’11”) from 185 lb to 165 in slightly under a year.

And reduced the appetite in the process.

Keep walking!

• Members

I need to lose 45lbs and my gp keeps pushing the surgery on me.  Sometimes  I think they get a kickback for the recommendation.  My insurance will cover it.  Do u think there is a minimum amount of weight to lose in order to have the surgery?

• Members

From my limited experience with friends and acquaintances who have had gastric bypass surgery performed the "honest" surgeons suggest every  thing else before surgery.  Most insist on psychological counseling as well as intensive reading about the surgery before the surgery is performed.  There is no free lunch.  Your body will try to reject the imposition of the surgery with upset bowels and other traumas to your systems and schedule.  You will need to eat multiple very small meals.  The surgery can be overcome by your body and your lack of procedure.  That will be painful and cause regaining some, if not all of the weight loss.  

You personally will need to decide if all this is worth the weight loss.

Personally I "talked" my ophthalmologist into "early' cataract surgery because I wanted better vision and did not wish to wait until they were "mature".  After a brief struggle he agreed.  I am now very happy with my current vision.

Best regards,

RA1   

• Members
On 10/6/2019 at 9:16 AM, RA1 said:

From my limited experience with friends and acquaintances who have had gastric bypass surgery performed the "honest" surgeons suggest every  thing else before surgery.  Most insist on psychological counseling as well as intensive reading about the surgery before the surgery is performed.  There is no free lunch.  Your body will try to reject the imposition of the surgery with upset bowels and other traumas to your systems and schedule.  You will need to eat multiple very small meals.  The surgery can be overcome by your body and your lack of procedure.  That will be painful and cause regaining some, if not all of the weight loss.  

You personally will need to decide if all this is worth the weight loss.

Personally I "talked" my ophthalmologist into "early' cataract surgery because I wanted better vision and did not wish to wait until they were "mature".  After a brief struggle he agreed.  I am now very happy with my current vision.

Best regards,

RA1   

I am the opposite. My developing cataracts have pushed my lenses back to normal so I haven't had to wear glasses for several years now!