Lucky

This Forum Has Always Been...

• Members

I agree. I cannot wait to contribute more to this forum. On June 19th I am departing to Argentina. The beginning of my trip will be in an inner country, conservative province (state) capital, and I do not expect much interesting in the first weeks. But on July 13th I am arriving to Buenos Aires and planning to have fun. I hope to add to the common knowledge with a few informative posts.

• Members
On 5/19/2018 at 8:32 AM, Tomcal said:

i have 2 questions, 1)what is that a photo of? 2)what is the fable this board keeps alive?  I really don’t have any idea the answer to either!

At the risk of reverting back to the OP original theme, here's a clue:

What species of (edible) animal would be capable of, have the dexterity to, end up of its own accord on a bridge and attempt to cross it?

• Members
On 5/18/2018 at 12:23 PM, Lucky said:

The LAMD or the Latin America Men and Destinations forum has always been a mainstay of the Boytoy family. When things got slow in other forums (fora?) we could count on interesting and friendly conversation to be had here. And it was ongoing, rarely pausing for distractions. But look lately and you might see "last post 6 hours ago" or even worse. I submit that it isn't because Latin America has suddenly become less interesting.

Rather, I think our discussions have become less friendly. A trip report may be great reading for some, but others have to criticize the way a fellow poster enjoyed his vacation. Constructive criticism, new ideas, ways to enhance a vacation have always been welcome. But once too many it has become criticism that becomes personal. And it isn't just trip reports, it can even be because someone doesn't like the way another person posts, or hijacks a thread, or otherwise shows a lack of respect.

Well, you might say, Lucky is no angel on any of this. I could differ all I want but if you really believe that it still becomes incumbent on me to monitor my posts so that they are friendly and informative. We have a great forum here. I want to be a part of it and I want the discussion to continue. A friendly discussion, yeah, that sounds right...

I feel people should be welcomed to comment anyway they see fit, and not think they have to sanitize their comments to appease the crowd.  Of course civility is always encouraged, but a negative comment should not be interpretted as an attack.   It's merely a difference of opinion, and this is the part where things go awry.   A poster will feel attacked, and attack back, and hence the feud ensues.   As long as a comment is CIVIL, it should be received as such, even if its message is negative.  If that's how the poster feels,  that's how he feels.  If his posts are troublesome to you,  use your handy IGNORE button, and you wont have to deal with it.   Everyones opinion is important,  not just the ones that AGREE with you !  

• Members

Does everyone feel comfortable posting when they can expect replies from guys exercising their right to comment as they see fit? Do posters, in order to post, have to set themselves up for attack because some posters feel attacking others is appropriate comment? Not everyone is as thick-skinned as Suckrates and may not enjoy being in the middle of a bitch fight. So, allowing that comment is up to the the individual, if it results in a dead forum it's hardly appropriate.

4 hours ago, Suckrates said:

If that's how the poster feels,  that's how he feels.  If his posts are troublesome to you,  use your handy IGNORE button, and you wont have to deal with it.   Everyones opinion is important,  not just the ones that AGREE with you !  

WELL SAID!!!!

Drinks on me if we ever meet...

• Members
On 5/18/2018 at 5:41 PM, Latbear4blk said:

I agree. I cannot wait to contribute more to this forum. On June 19th I am departing to Argentina. The beginning of my trip will be in an inner country, conservative province (state) capital, and I do not expect much interesting in the first weeks. But on July 13th I am arriving to Buenos Aires and planning to have fun. I hope to add to the common knowledge with a few informative posts.

Viva Argentina!

Screenshot_20180520-123257_Messages.jpg

4 hours ago, Suckrates said:

I feel people should be welcomed to comment anyway they see fit, and not think they have to sanitize their comments to appease the crowd.  Of course civility is always encouraged, but a negative comment should not be interpretted as an attack.   It's merely a difference of opinion, and this is the part where things go awry.   A poster will feel attacked, and attack back, and hence the feud ensues.   As long as a comment is CIVIL, it should be received as such, even if its message is negative.  If that's how the poster feels,  that's how he feels.  If his posts are troublesome to you,  use your handy IGNORE button, and you wont have to deal with it.   Everyones opinion is important,  not just the ones that AGREE with you !  

Thanks for the tip. I put this user on IGNORE. I can't stand people who are intentionally obtuse. With that, I think I shall post my next trip report...

1 hour ago, Lucky said:

Does everyone feel comfortable posting when they can expect replies from guys exercising their right to comment as they see fit? Do posters, in order to post, have to set themselves up for attack because some posters feel attacking others is appropriate comment? Not everyone is as thick-skinned as Suckrates and may not enjoy being in the middle of a bitch fight. So, allowing that comment is up to the the individual, if it results in a dead forum it's hardly appropriate.

I agree with this too. Constructive criticism is one thing, attacks and obtuseness are another. And everyone has different tolerances to this. Some posters are thick-skinned, but others aren't, and those who aren't stop posting, and the forum is poorer for it. 

• Members
4 hours ago, Lucky said:

Lucky, you clearly dont understand the point, and are trying to agitate the members..  Noone is speaking of attacks.  I am speaking of a negative comment, which EVERY member has a right to make.  What kind of bullshit site would this be if everyone just agreed with everyone.  We are not Steppford wives...  There is a clear distinction between a disagreement and an attack, and if a member cant take a negative comment and interprets it as an attack against him....he doesnt belong on ANY public site.   You are clearly making this into something its not.  And a disagreement or negative comment should never result in a fight, unless people like YOU encourage it !    My suggestion to YOU Lucky:  if you want a site where you can comment and have no negative pushback, start your own blog and dont allow any outside commentary...  That way you can spout all the bullshit you want and be hollier than thou.  

• Members
7 minutes ago, floridarob said:

is this an attack or a negative comment....just so I'm clear on what is what (or is it which is which?) ;)

Its neither.  It a disagreement.  I simply dont disagree with Luckys theory, which is clearly a contradiction.  One one hand he started the thread to encourage participation, but ONLY wants people who agree with a subject to post.   Doesnt that LIMIT participation ?    I guess he was so focused, he didnt think there could be another side to his proposal , which has the opposite effect to what he intended. ? 

16 hours ago, Suckrates said:

Its neither.  It a disagreement.  I simply dont disagree with Luckys theory, which is clearly a contradiction.  One one hand he started the thread to encourage participation, but ONLY wants people who agree with a subject to post.   Doesnt that LIMIT participation ?    I guess he was so focused, he didnt think there could be another side to his proposal , which has the opposite effect to what he intended. ? 

I guess someone's perception could be different.... (I don't know what, if any history you guys have. Like how me and Tomcal joke with each other to an outsider might seem different.)

because how I read it, it seemed like an attack with all the capitalized YOU's......