12is12

Any updates on Tokyo (and Kyoto)?

I’ve stayed in Shinjuku before but was traveling with a friend and didn’t partake of any of the gay offerings. I didn’t actually even know Shinjuku had a red light district, Japan keeps things pretty well hidden unless you know what to look for. 

I stayed in two hotels. Hotel Sunroute Plaza in Shinjuku was fine and fairly cheap but the pillows reminded me of bags of cement - odd lumpy things. Second was a business hotel above the train station (can’t remember the exact name) and it was much nicer and more comfortable but also more expensive. So if you pick a hotel aimed at locals you may find things a bit different. Just something to keep in mind if you haven’t been to Japan before. 

On 11/13/2022 at 6:40 AM, Wynter11 said:

I’ve stayed in Shinjuku before but was traveling with a friend and didn’t partake of any of the gay offerings. I didn’t actually even know Shinjuku had a red light district, Japan keeps things pretty well hidden unless you know what to look for. 

I stayed in two hotels. Hotel Sunroute Plaza in Shinjuku was fine and fairly cheap but the pillows reminded me of bags of cement - odd lumpy things. Second was a business hotel above the train station (can’t remember the exact name) and it was much nicer and more comfortable but also more expensive. So if you pick a hotel aimed at locals you may find things a bit different. Just something to keep in mind if you haven’t been to Japan before. 

The only hotel I know above Shinjuku Station is the excellent Century Southern Tower on the top floors of a small slyscraper overlooking the train tracks (although it is not a business hotel). But this only goes to reinforce the fact that to a large extent room price reflects the size of the room. It is not a case of hotels for locals and those for foreigners.