Bucknaway1614502762

Trumpeting Trump

10 hours ago, RA1 said:

Suppose all of this is exactly correct.  Are you willing to give up the various improvements of the last say 200 years?  Cutting down trees, developing carbon based fuels and all the other things we have done either right or wrong seem to go hand in hand with living longer, being well fed, being more comfortable, etc.  Apparently we could not have one without the other.

What is your solution to counter climate change?  Carbon tax is a political ploy.  Various other solutions are either impractical or impossible.  

The Earth is over populated for the technology we now have.  But, reducing the population does not seem viable either.

Have you bought your ticket to the Moon or Mars yet?

Best regards,

RA1

Your first paragraph above is to suggest that short-term benefits are worth risking species extinction. I don't know why that view unsettles me.

The only 'solution' I any longer see as even remotely viable, given the all-but-irreversible changes and collapses we have already triggered, is development of technology for planetary-scale geoengineering.

Now, yes. That frightens me more than anything us clever apes have yet conceived. There is possibility -- likelihood, indeed almost certainty -- of catastrophic outcomes from our 'tests' before we get it right.

But what else remains in sight as an escape hatch, however remote, if you accept my end-time views? (Which I accept that you do not.)

There are some scientists and others trying to promote the idea of a worldwide 'Manhattan project' to develop geoengineering technology to this end. I am not holding my breath.

18 hours ago, mvan1 said:

It is not a conspiracy - it is merely something that Trump promotes.  Trump does not want to accept facts that contradict him despite his being wrong. 

Trump's followers accept anything he says whether or not it has any factual basis.  

546174796_HitlertalkingwithTrump.jpg.c8ff0133ad8f60355fffb7ac2bb8743b.jpg

Extending your astute observation here to its general case:

If Trump says anything about anything, one can be instantly sure that precisely the opposite is the truth.

• Members
1 hour ago, AdamSmith said:

Your first paragraph above is to suggest that short-term benefits are worth risking species extinction. I don't know why that view unsettles me.

The only 'solution' I any longer see as even remotely viable, given the all-but-irreversible changes and collapses we have already triggered, is development of technology for planetary-scale geoengineering.

Now, yes. That frightens me more than anything us clever apes have yet conceived. There is possibility -- likelihood, indeed almost certainty -- of catastrophic outcomes from our 'tests' before we get it right.

But what else remains in sight as an escape hatch, however remote, if you accept my end-time views? (Which I accept that you do not.)

There are some scientists and others trying to promote the idea of a worldwide 'Manhattan project' to develop geoengineering technology to this end. I am not holding my breath.

Perhaps we should accept the inevitable extinction of our species.  Why should we be different from all those that became extinct before us?

Yes, turning Earth into a class one planet would be nice.  Which country will give up their government first?

Best regards,

RA1

• Members
On 7/25/2018 at 4:54 AM, Bucknaway1614502762 said:

This could not happen if the internet didn't exist.

Poor Bucky, what was the point in your presenting this sad example of a confused gay guy? 

After watching his video and hearing what he had to say (ramble) it is clear that the guy is misguided. 

Is that how you think, too? 

3 hours ago, RA1 said:

Perhaps we should accept the inevitable extinction of our species.  Why should we be different from all those that became extinct before us?

Yes, turning Earth into a class one planet would be nice.  Which country will give up their government first?

Best regards,

RA1

I do, without cynicism and with realism, agree with both those accurate observations.

I would wish for the fight-energies to, as I said just earlier, lunge forward in pursuit of geoengineering capabilities that are today impossibly out of reach. But are the only hope I can see.

We shall, certainly, see what is within our capacities.

• Members
7 hours ago, mvan1 said:

Is that how you think, too?

I don't share his story but I understand it.  I have not lost friends over my support for the president, maybe some internet friends but not real life friends.  I did once meet a guy from the internet that came to my house.  We planned to have sex but he mentioned he liked to talk politics.  We talked and he stormed out.  Turns out he only liked to talk politics with fellow liberals.  We still talk from time to time but I won't invite him back.  Not because of his views, because of his weight.  He is slim in his pics but not in person.

• Members

Donald Trump Says U.S. and EU Will ‘Resolve’ Steel, Aluminum Tariffs

President declares ‘new phase’ in U.S.-EU relations

President Donald Trump met with European Commission President Jean-Claude Juncker in the Oval Office of the White House on Wednesday.
President Donald Trump met with European Commission President Jean-Claude Juncker in the Oval Office of the White House on Wednesday. PHOTO: EVAN
By 
Vivan Salama and 
Valentina Pop
Updated July 25, 2018 4:33 p.m. ET

Breaking News...

*Trump: U.S. and EU Will ‘Resolve’ Steel and Aluminum and Retaliatory Tariffs

*Trump Declares ‘New Phase’ in U.S.-EU Relations

*Trump Says U.S. and EU Will Have ‘Close Relationship’ with ‘Strong Trade Relations’

*Trump: ‘Both of Us Will Win’

*Trump: U.S. and EU Agreed to ‘Work Together Toward Zero Tariffs, Zero Non-Tariff Barriers, Zero Subsidies on Non Auto-Industrial Goods’

*Trump: EU Will Start ‘Almost Immediately’ to Buy More U.S. Soybeans

*Trump: EU ‘Wants to Import’ More LNG from the U.S.

*Trump: EU Will be a ‘Massive Buyer’ of LNG to ‘Diversify Their EnergySupply’

*Trump: U.S. and EU Agreed to Launch ‘Close Dialogue on Standards’ to Ease Trade and Reduce Bureaucracy

*U.S. Agrees To Refrain from Imposing New Tariffs On European Union -- EU Official

(More to Come)

Previously...

WASHINGTON—The European Union delegation meeting with President Donald Trump Wednesday agreed to consider changes in its trade policies in an effort to ease relations with the U.S., according to a European official in the room.

The official said European Commission President Jean-Claude Juncker and his top trade official Cecilia Malmström agreed to work with the U.S. administration to lower industrial tariffs on both sides, increase LNG exports and soy beans to Europe, and align regulatory standards to allow for medical devices to have better market access in Europe, the official said.

Both delegations were still fine tuning language in a common statement on car tariffs, the official said.

A joint news conference between Mr. Trump and Mr. Juncker was hastily being organized as the meeting was coming to an end.

The Dow Jones Industrial Average was up 0.7% Wednesday following the news.

(more to come)

Previously...

WASHINGTON—President Donald Trump slammed critics of his trade policies on Wednesday, warning they are undermining his negotiating position while American farmers are being “ripped off.”

Mr. Trump’s remarks, aimed at critics he didn’t name, came hours ahead of a meeting with European Commission President Jean-Claude Juncker in which trade tensions between the U.S. and the European bloc are expected to dominate.

The Europeans come to Washington with potential auto tariffs weighing heavily on their minds. Last week, Mr. Trump threatened “tremendous retribution” if his meeting with the EU officials doesn’t lead to what he considers to be a fair auto-trade deal.

In the Oval Office Wednesday, Mr. Trump leaned over and tapped Mr. Juncker’s hand while describing him as a “very smart and a very tough man” who represents the European member states well.

“Over the years, the United States has lost hundreds of billions of dollars to the European Union and we just want it to be a level playing field for our farmers, our manufacturers, for everybody,” Mr. Trump added.

“We are close partners, allies, not enemies, we have to work together,” Mr. Juncker said.

Mr. Trump didn’t respond to questions on whether he will impose auto tariffs but said that “the United States would be very pleased” to create a trade partnership where there are no tariffs, no barriers and no subsidies.

When you have people snipping at your heels during a negotiation, it will only take longer to make a deal, and the deal will never be as good as it could have been with unity. Negotiations are going really well, be cool. The end result will be worth it!

Mr. Trump is also scheduled to meet with lawmakers on Wednesday to discuss his administration’s proposed plan to offer $12 billion in aid to farmers hardest hit by retaliatory tariffs imposed by U.S. trading partners. Many lawmakers expressed skepticism that the plan would yield long-term prosperity for American farmers.

Mr. Trump insisted on Wednesday that the domestic political pushback accomplishes nothing but delays and hinders his ability to negotiate a deal.

“When you have people snipping at your heels during a negotiation, it will only take longer to make a deal, and the deal will never be as good as it could have been with unity,” he said. “Negotiations are going really well, be cool. The end result will be worth it!”

Why the Japan-EU Trade Agreement Deserves a Closer Look

071818seib_16x9still.jpg
WSJ's Gerald F. Seib looks at the trade deal between Japan and the EU, and explains how President Trump’s trade policy might drive other countries to form their own agreements. Photo: Martin Bureau/Press Pool He wrote, “Are we just going to continue and let our farmers and country get ripped off?”

U.S. trading partners are retaliating against Mr. Trump’s decision to order tariffs on imports including metals, clothing and electronics from a broad range of countries, including China, Mexico, Canada and European Union member states.

The retaliatory tariffs have already been felt across America’s Farm Belt. China, a huge market for U.S. agricultural exports, has applied tariffs on $34 billion worth of U.S. goods, including soybeans and pork. Canada, Mexico and the EU have also hit back with tariffs of their own.

“China is targeting our farmers, who they know I love & respect, as a way of getting me to continue allowing them to take advantage of the U.S.,” Mr. Trump wrote on Twitter Wednesday. “They are being vicious in what will be their failed attempt. We were being nice - until now!”

The aid for farmers announced today is clear statement that other nations can't bully our agricultural producers to force the U.S. to cave in to unfair trade practices & retaliatory tactics. @POTUS makes good on promise to stand by farmers. http://bit.ly/2LNoYzw 

Agriculture Secretary Sonny Perdue wrote on Twitter late Tuesday that the farm aid package “is clear statement that other nations can’t bully our agricultural producers to force the U.S. to cave in to unfair trade practices & retaliatory tactics.”

On Tuesday, many lawmakers from Mr. Trump’s own Republican party criticized the announcement that his administration would offer farmers a one-time aid package, describing it as a bailout lacking any long-term solutions.

Republican lawmakers from farm states said they expected to meet Wednesday with Mr. Trump to discuss a pending farm bill and farm aid. Some Republicans are jittery about the potential for political repercussions heading into the November midterm elections.

“The action that I’d like to see is resolving this tariff fight and moving forward with trade opportunities, ” said Sen. Cory Gardner (R., Colo.), who chairs the Senate Republican campaign arm for the Senate Republicans.

Mr. Trump’s top economic adviser Lawrence Kudlow said Wednesday morning on CBS, “Nobody is really thrilled about this. We’re just trying to protect American agriculture from some of the unfair trading practices.”

Ahead of Mr. Trump’s meeting, EU Trade Commissioner Cecilia Malmstroem met with lawmakers, seeking insights about how to approach Mr. Trump. Republican lawmakers, who have been hoping to persuade Mr. Trump to step back from the brink, said they urged her to reach an agreement to lower tariffs.

House Speaker Paul Ryan (R., Wis.) said he and the trade commissioner discussed “how we can come to an agreement to lower tariffs and trade barriers, avoiding the escalation of trade tensions.” Senate Finance Committee Chairman Orrin Hatch (R., Utah) encouraged her to work with the president to strengthen the trans-Atlantic partnership, including through the reduction of tariffs, a spokeswoman said.

While Mr. Trump’s aggressive trade policies with China have been celebrated by members of both the major political parties, his decision to impose tariffs on steel and aluminum imports from the EU, Canada and Mexico have been met with more skepticism. The Trump administration justifies the move on the grounds of national security and a growing trade deficit—arguments those countries dismiss as farcical.

Mr. Trump repeatedly complains that the EU imposes 10% tariffs on auto imports, compared with 2.5% imposed by the U.S. He declines to mention the 25% tariffs the U.S. imposes on light trucks, versus the 10% rate in Europe. Mr. Trump recently described the EU as “a foe” on trade.

• Members
5 hours ago, Bucknaway1614502762 said:

Job well done!

IMG_20180726_045710.jpg

Oh, Bucky, you are doing it again!

You did not accurately and/or fully read the photo you presented to support your incorrect statement "Job well done!"

Look at the photo again - it says 88% of REPUBLICANS approve of Trump - 

You failed to accurately interpret the message that you presented to support your claim of a job well done. 

The message ignores democrats and independents.

If you consult recent polls you will see that Trump's overall approval rating is around 38% which does not yet include factoring in his latest Putin disaster and the major damage to the American economy resulting from Trump's "trade war" with many of our allies.  The 38% will soon drop even lower than it is.    

No, Bucky, the hateful and racist bigot that currently holds the highest office in the land is not doing a "job well done."

20 minutes ago, Bucknaway1614502762 said:

The pics has the facts and speak for itself.  As far as hate...  I've seen more hate from the libs on this board then I have from any known racist.  

Then, you are blind.

But, if you like that shit, here goes.  Trump is a moron. Anyone who still supports him is also a moron. Yes, maybe that is liberal hate. But, after over 500 days with this shitwad, I have decided that no one in their right mind would still support him and those that do, need therapy. 

Wow. I feel better now.

Now, as you may remember, I gave Trump a try. But, he is not Presidential. He is not representing America to the world in a good light. He is not delivering on the great and cheaper health care he promised. He is not delivering on his message. Why? It was all bullshit meant for a bunch of idiots who would support him. They did. They won the election. I give you that. But, anyone who believed him I do consider dumb. He has always been a con.  He will also be a con. He is a joke. And, anyone who doesn't agree with me is just plain nuts! 

Now, by my own rules, this thread is now out of hand and being moved to the Sandbox. My apologies for offending anyone!

• Members
On 7/26/2018 at 12:09 PM, TotallyOz said:

Then, you are blind.

But, if you like that shit, here goes.  Trump is a moron. Anyone who still supports him is also a moron. Yes, maybe that is liberal hate.

It is not liberal hate. There many Republicans who are embarrassed at Trump. Labeling all their critics as Liberal is just another empty talking point of the brainless ones.

tenor.gif?itemid=5753267

Climate change: How do we know?

This graph, based on the comparison of atmospheric samples contained in ice cores and more recent direct  measurements, provides evidence that atmospheric CO2 has increased  since the Industrial Revolution.  (Source: [[LINK||http://www.ncdc.noaa.gov/paleo/icecore/||NOAA]])

This graph, based on the comparison of atmospheric samples contained in ice cores and more recent direct measurements, provides evidence that atmospheric CO2 has increased since the Industrial Revolution. (Credit: Vostok ice core data/J.R. Petit et al.; NOAA Mauna Loa CO2 record.) Find out more about ice cores (external site).

The Earth's climate has changed throughout history. Just in the last 650,000 years there have been seven cycles of glacial advance and retreat, with the abrupt end of the last ice age about 7,000 years ago marking the beginning of the modern climate era — and of human civilization. Most of these climate changes are attributed to very small variations in Earth’s orbit that change the amount of solar energy our planet receives.

Scientific evidence for warming of the climate system is unequivocal.
- Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change

The current warming trend is of particular significance because most of it is extremely likely (greater than 95 percent probability) to be the result of human activity since the mid-20thcentury and proceeding at a rate that is unprecedented over decades to millennia.1

Earth-orbiting satellites and other technological advances have enabled scientists to see the big picture, collecting many different types of information about our planet and its climate on a global scale. This body of data, collected over many years, reveals the signals of a changing climate.

The heat-trapping nature of carbon dioxide and other gases was demonstrated in the mid-19th century.2 Their ability to affect the transfer of infrared energy through the atmosphere is the scientific basis of many instruments flown by NASA. There is no question that increased levels of greenhouse gases must cause the Earth to warm in response.

Ice cores drawn from Greenland, Antarctica, and tropical mountain glaciers show that the Earth’s climate responds to changes in greenhouse gas levels. Ancient evidence can also be found in tree rings, ocean sediments, coral reefs, and layers of sedimentary rocks. This ancient, or paleoclimate, evidence reveals that current warming is occurring roughly ten times faster than the average rate of ice-age-recovery warming.3

The evidence for rapid climate change is compelling:

Global temperature rise

• The planet's average surface temperature has risen about 1.6 degrees Fahrenheit (0.9 degrees Celsius) since the late 19th century
    The planet's average surface temperature has risen about 1.62 degrees Fahrenheit (0.9 degrees Celsius) since the late 19th century, a change driven largely by increased carbon dioxide and other human-made emissions into the atmosphere.5 Most of the warming occurred in the past 35 years, with the five warmest years on record taking place since 2010. Not only was 2016 the warmest year on record, but eight of the 12 months that make up the year — from January through September, with the exception of June — were the warmest on record for those respective months. 6

Warming oceans

• The oceans have absorbed much of this increased heat, with the top 700 meters (about 2,300 feet) of ocean showing warming of 0.302 degrees Fahrenheit since 1969
    The oceans have absorbed much of this increased heat, with the top 700 meters (about 2,300 feet) of ocean showing warming of 0.302 degrees Fahrenheit since 1969.7

Shrinking ice sheets

• The Greenland and Antarctic ice sheets have decreased in mass
    The Greenland and Antarctic ice sheets have decreased in mass. Data from NASA's Gravity Recovery and Climate Experiment show Greenland lost an average of 281 billion tons of ice per year between 1993 and 2016, while Antarctica lost about 119 billion tons during the same time period. The rate of Antarctica ice mass loss has tripled in the last decade.16

Image: Flowing meltwater from the Greenland ice sheet

Glacial retreat

• Glaciers are retreating almost everywhere around the world — including in the Alps, Himalayas, Andes, Rockies, Alaska and Africa.
    Glaciers are retreating almost everywhere around the world — including in the Alps, Himalayas, Andes, Rockies, Alaska and Africa.9

Image: The disappearing snowcap of Mount Kilimanjaro, from space.

Decreased snow cover

• Satellite observations reveal that the amount of spring snow cover in the Northern Hemisphere has decreased over the past five decades and that the snow is melting earlier
    Satellite observations reveal that the amount of spring snow cover in the Northern Hemisphere has decreased over the past five decades and that the snow is melting earlier.15

Sea level rise

• Global sea level rose about 8 inches in the last century. The rate in the last two decades, however, is nearly double that of the last century
    Global sea level rose about 8 inches in the last century. The rate in the last two decades, however, is nearly double that of the last century.4

Image: Republic of Maldives: Vulnerable to sea level rise

Declining Arctic sea ice

• Both the extent and thickness of Arctic sea ice has declined rapidly over the last several decades
    Both the extent and thickness of Arctic sea ice has declined rapidly over the last several decades.8

Image: Visualization of the 2012 Arctic sea ice minimum, the lowest on record

Extreme events

• Glaciers are retreating almost everywhere around the world — including in the Alps, Himalayas, Andes, Rockies, Alaska and Africa.
    The number of record high temperature events in the United States has been increasing, while the number of record low temperature events has been decreasing, since 1950. The U.S. has also witnessed increasing numbers of intense rainfall events.10

Ocean acidification

• Since the beginning of the Industrial Revolution, the acidity of surface ocean waters has increased by about 30 percent
    Since the beginning of the Industrial Revolution, the acidity of surface ocean waters has increased by about 30 percent.11,12 This increase is the result of humans emitting more carbon dioxide into the atmosphere and hence more being absorbed into the oceans. The amount of carbon dioxide absorbed by the upper layer of the oceans is increasing by about 2 billion tons per year.13,14

References

1. IPCC Fifth Assessment Report, Summary for Policymakers

B.D. Santer et.al., “A search for human influences on the thermal structure of the atmosphere,” Nature vol 382, 4 July 1996, 39-46

Gabriele C. Hegerl, “Detecting Greenhouse-Gas-Induced Climate Change with an Optimal Fingerprint Method,” Journal of Climate, v. 9, October 1996, 2281-2306

V. Ramaswamy et.al., “Anthropogenic and Natural Influences in the Evolution of Lower Stratospheric Cooling,” Science 311 (24 February 2006), 1138-1141

B.D. Santer et.al., “Contributions of Anthropogenic and Natural Forcing to Recent Tropopause Height Changes,” Science vol. 301 (25 July 2003), 479-483.

2. In the 1860s, physicist John Tyndall recognized the Earth's natural greenhouse effect and suggested that slight changes in the atmospheric composition could bring about climatic variations. In 1896, a seminal paper by Swedish scientist Svante Arrhenius first predicted that changes in the levels of carbon dioxide in the atmosphere could substantially alter the surface temperature through the greenhouse effect.

3. National Research Council (NRC), 2006. Surface Temperature Reconstructions For the Last 2,000 Years. National Academy Press, Washington, D.C.

http://earthobservatory.nasa.gov/Features/GlobalWarming/page3.php

4. https://www.ipcc.ch/pdf/assessment-report/ar5/syr/AR5_SYR_FINAL_SPM.pdf

Church, J. A. and N.J. White (2006), A 20th century acceleration in global sea level rise, Geophysical Research Letters, 33, L01602, doi:10.1029/2005GL024826.

The global sea level estimate described in this work can be downloaded from the CSIRO website.

5. Levitus, et al, "Global ocean heat content 1955–2008 in light of recently revealed instrumentation problems," Geophys. Res. Lett. 36, L07608 (2009).

6. L. Polyak, et.al., “History of Sea Ice in the Arctic,” in Past Climate Variability and Change in the Arctic and at High Latitudes, U.S. Geological Survey, Climate Change Science Program Synthesis and Assessment Product 1.2, January 2009, chapter 7

R. Kwok and D. A. Rothrock, “Decline in Arctic sea ice thickness from submarine and ICESAT records: 1958-2008,” Geophysical Research Letters, v. 36, paper no. L15501, 2009

http://nsidc.org/sotc/sea_ice.html

7. "Attribution of Extreme Weather Events in the Context of Climate Change," National Academies Press, 2016
    https://www.nap.edu/read/21852/chapter/1

Kunkel, K. et al, "Probable maximum precipitation and climate change," Geophysical Research Letters, (12 April 2013) DOI: 10.1002/grl.50334 

Kunkel, K. et al, "Monitoring and Understanding Trends in Extreme Storms: State of the Knowledge," Bulletin of the American Meteorological Society, 2012.

https://www.ncdc.noaa.gov/extremes/cei/

8. C. L. Sabine et.al., “The Oceanic Sink for Anthropogenic CO2,” Science vol. 305 (16 July 2004), 367-371

9. National Snow and Ice Data Center

C. Derksen and R. Brown, "Spring snow cover extent reductions in the 2008-2012 period exceeding climate model projections," GRL, 39:L19504

http://nsidc.org/cryosphere/sotc/snow_extent.html

Rutgers University Global Snow Lab, Data History Accessed August 29, 2011.

Scientific Consensus

Ninety-seven percent of climate scientists agree that climate-warming trends over the past century are very likely due to human activities, and most of the leading scientific organizations worldwide have issued public statements endorsing this position.

Click here for a partial list of these public statements and related resources.

Latest resources

• Members

I never view the sandbox.  Upon reading this thread I question it's being in the "problematic posts" forum.

It seems it should be in the politics forum.  But I guess that any opinion that is against general zeitgeist is not allowed here.

Disappointing...