Alaskabear

Puerto Vallarta

• Members
12 hours ago, kjun12 said:

I think that you are correct in your belief.  The wheel chairs waiting at the departure are for specific passengers who have requested them.

Since I was there this week and easily obtained wheelchairs without a reservation, kjun has me wondering how it all happened. The wheelchair attendants work for tips only, so they are solicitous when seeing someone who might need assistance. Is that so far fetched, kjun? Do you think I posted this information to mislead you?

• Members
8 hours ago, Lucky said:

Is that so far fetched, kjun? Do you think I posted this information to mislead you?

No.  That is not what I intended to say.  It is simply that in my experience any wheel chair at the exit of the plane has been for a specific passenger.  Why did you need a wheel chair?

• Members

So you mean the wheelchairs at arrivals, not departures. Yes, of course people request them. The random ones I encountered were available because the kids needed the business. Why sit around when there is money to be made? Now that I know you get to skip all of the lines, well, I'll be cruising through from now on!

1 hour ago, paborn said:

I'm curious aboput Guadalajara. A lovely city that I no longer go to as the police are more than eager to hassle and scam tourists - very open and blunt. Has this changed?

was my experience ....I'll NEVER go back because of this....2 times on 1 weekend, I've traveled all over Mexico and the cops are known to be corrupt, this place is on a level all its own, smh

• Members
3 hours ago, floridarob said:

was my experience ....I'll NEVER go back because of this....2 times on 1 weekend, I've traveled all over Mexico and the cops are known to be corrupt, this place is on a level all its own, smh

Every city in the world has corruption.  Mexico is no different than Chicago is no different than Dubai.  You can be swindled anywhere.

My advice is to learn a bit of the language, attempt not to stick out like a gringo sore thumb and if in a bad situation, have enough $20 USD bills to get yourself out of it.

#MoneyTalks

Edited by BenjaminNicholas

• Members
4 hours ago, paborn said:

I'm curious aboput Guadalajara. A lovely city that I no longer go to as the police are more than eager to hassle and scam tourists - very open and blunt. Has this changed?

I go there on a regular basis (once every couple of months) and it's still a great city.  

I highly recommend catching some mas dramatico Luche Libre, Sundays at Arena Coliseo.  It's cheap, awesome entertainment and the vendors walking around the arena sell some delicious Mexican street foods (elote, chicharrones con San Luis, mariscos, etc).

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g150798-d7394094-Reviews-Arena_Coliseo-Guadalajara_Guadalajara_Metropolitan_Area.html

Edited by BenjaminNicholas

3 hours ago, floridarob said:

50 minutes ago, BenjaminNicholas said:

Every city in the world has corruption.  Mexico is no different than Chicago is no different than Dubai.  You can be swindled anywhere.

My advice is to learn a bit of the language, attempt not to stick out like a gringo sore thumb and if in a bad situation, have enough $20 USD bills to get yourself out of it.

#MoneyTalks

FloridaRob speaks fluent Spanish(and Portuguese)has lived on and off in Mexico for years and currently owns 2 restaurants in Mexico, so he doesn’t have “to learn a bit of the language” nor does he “stick out like a gringo sore thumb”...expect for his pale never see daylight skin!(he’s Irish!) só I take his recommendations seriously...i may not follow them all the time but i find his advise to visitors is pretty right on!

• Members
On 12/30/2018 at 3:33 PM, Tomcal said:

FloridaRob speaks fluent Spanish(and Portuguese)has lived on and off in Mexico for years and currently owns 2 restaurants in Mexico, so he doesn’t have “to learn a bit of the language” nor does he “stick out like a gringo sore thumb”...expect for his pale never see daylight skin!(he’s Irish!) só I take his recommendations seriously...i may not follow them all the time but i find his advise to visitors is pretty right on!

Good for him.  I still disagree :)

Bottom line... Mexico ain't the States.  They play by different rules.  I wouldn't say it's dangerous for tourists, but like any place, keep your eyes and ears open. 

If you want perfectly safe, go to Salt Lake City.  Guadalajara is a beautiful, cultural city.  Well worth a visit (or two).