Latbear4blk

Ciudad de Mexico, CDMX, April 13 to 19

On 7/7/2021 at 1:44 PM, iendo said:

In this thread UBER has been motioned a few times. I can assure you that you can get an Uber from the airport. Just like in other places such as Amsterdam or New Delhi, you will not find Ubers waiting in-front of the airport. You can order Ubers when you get outside. You just have to give them you terminal and door number and they pick you up 5 minutes later.

uber.jpeg.006e3ee7c4c3ce4ed722ca9513d81faf.jpeg

I thought I was there in 2017 but turns out it was 2018. I was also there in September 2019 and ordered an Uber the same way. You can't beat that price.

I don't use Uber in Mexico City.  Too much fraudulent activity, IMO.  Instead, I recommend using, from the airport, "authorized" taxi's from "Sitio 300" for which you can pre-pay the drive at a kiosk at the airport.  Authorized taxi's from the airport offer safe and secure trips to your hotel/destination for a pittance in comparison to taxi prices it the USA.  I've been doing this for the past 30+ years.

On 8/10/2022 at 8:57 AM, asdsrfr said:

The Room Mate Valentina closed permanently during the early days of Covid and the building is vacant now. I used to like it as well. Another nearby alternative that allows guests is the Hotel PF. It's a block or two away. I stayed there during gay pride in June and found it to be a nice older hotel. I didn't have guests there but my friend who stays there all the time says it's never a problem to bring someone in and I did not think the reception security seemed overbearing. They also run a Hotel called PF Suites which is slightly further away and seems a little more strict with visitors based on a friend's experience. One to avoid is the Hotel NH Reforma that is very restrictive about guests.

Calle Amberes, where that hotel and many gay bars are located ... is a cesspool.  Filthy.  Abandoned buildings, etc.  Visit the street for entertainment, okay.  Stay either in Colonia Roma Norte or Santa Maria de la Ribera.  Hotel Embassy in Roma Norte or Hotel Santa Maria in Santa Maria de la Ribera are both gay friendly and situated in good neighborhoods.

• Members
3 hours ago, Mavica said:

I don't use Uber in Mexico City.  Too much fraudulent activity, IMO.

How does the fraud work? I always thought Uber was relatively fraud-proof compared to taxis because you are shown the price upfront and the whole journey is tracked by the company, and you can dispute/report any problems to them? 

• Members

I don't speak español, so I can only use Uber (or an other Taxi app in English).   I think one of the problem is, the driver accepts your ride request but doesn't really want to go to your destination (not far enough, or not on his way home).  So he just sits idle until you give up and cancel it (and pay a cancellation fee).  Of course this doesn't cause any harm to the driver.  But the customer spend all this time waiting, and have to pay the cancellation, to try another. And because the trip is canceled, you have no way to leave a negative review on the driver. 

• Members
9 hours ago, scott456 said:

I think one of the problem is, the driver accepts your ride request but doesn't really want to go to your destination (not far enough, or not on his way home).  So he just sits idle until you give up and cancel it (and pay a cancellation fee)

My understanding is that the driver is not shown what your destination is until they actually pick you up (or at least that’s how it used to be on Uber) because they wanted to prevent precisely that behavior. 

FWIW I used Uber in CDMX multiple times per day on a 10 day trip about a year ago without any major issues. But I’m curious to hear @Mavica’s fraud concerns knowing that he has much more experience in the country.