BRDOG999

Favorite On-the-Go Snack

• Members

When you fly for a living your are confronted with whatever is in the vending machines at various airports.  There is plenty of free coffee and free water and sometimes even free popcorn but otherwise put your quarters, dimes and nickels in the machine and make your best choice (which likely will not be nutritious).  Otherwise your choice might be to go into town and waste an hour or two getting reasonable food.  I, like some others, waited until the end of the day to eat my one meal at or near the hotel.

Best regards,

RA1

• Members
2 hours ago, RA1 said:

When you fly for a living your are confronted with whatever is in the vending machines at various airports.  There is plenty of free coffee and free water and sometimes even free popcorn but otherwise put your quarters, dimes and nickels in the machine and make your best choice (which likely will not be nutritious).  Otherwise your choice might be to go into town and waste an hour or two getting reasonable food.  I, like some others, waited until the end of the day to eat my one meal at or near the hotel.

Best regards,

RA1

I don't know when you were last at an airport.  However, every airport in the U.S. and in most foreign countries, have shops and restaurants and countless places where "on-the-go snacks" can be purchased.  

I cannot recall when I last saw a vending machine at an airport except for machines that dispense small electronics (Best Buy) and cash from an ATM or a boarding pass for check in.

Those airport shops and restaurants are usually busy selling just about anything from donuts to pizza, to ice cream and the like as well as drinks.   

Edited by mvan1

• Members
17 hours ago, mvan1 said:

I don't know when you were last at an airport.  However, every airport in the U.S. and in most foreign countries, have shops and restaurants and countless places where "on-the-go snacks" can be purchased.  

I cannot recall when I last saw a vending machine at an airport except for machines that dispense small electronics (Best Buy) and cash from an ATM or a boarding pass for check in.

Those airport shops and restaurants are usually busy selling just about anything from donuts to pizza, to ice cream and the like as well as drinks.   

I understand your point but you are talking about airline serviced airports, I am talking about the thousands of airports located near towns and cities that are NOT airline serviced.  I have flown into all the "big" airports, JFK, ATL, LAX, ORD, EWR and many others but 95% of my flying takes me near where the business is to be conducted which most of the time is not airline airports. And, some do not even have vending machines but most do or slightly better.

Best regards,

RA1

On 9/15/2019 at 9:46 AM, RA1 said:

I understand your point but you are talking about airline serviced airports, I am talking about the thousands of airports located near towns and cities that are NOT airline serviced.  I have flown into all the "big" airports, JFK, ATL, LAX, ORD, EWR and many others but 95% of my flying takes me near where the business is to be conducted which most of the time is not airline airports. And, some do not even have vending machines but most do or slightly better.

Best regards,

RA1

It is almost that bad at teeny-tiny public airports in small cities where one is constrained to go — and wait, and wait to take off for back home — in one’s work as a consultant.

My solution is to buy a big bag of power bars, nuts, etc. etc. from one’s local grocery; & stuff them into the carry-on luggage before heading to the airport at the start of the trip.

And buy enough not to eat them ALL on the outbound  leg. :ahappy:

• Members
On 9/15/2019 at 6:46 AM, RA1 said:

snip 

I am talking about the thousands of airports located near towns and cities that are NOT airline serviced. 

RA1

I always like to learn.  

Can you give me an example of where I might find "thousands of airports" that are not airline serviced that would not have restaurant or snack facilities at least for employees.  

Much appreciated.  

Edited by mvan1

• Members
8 hours ago, mvan1 said:

I always like to learn.  

Can you give me an example of where I might find "thousands of airports" that are not airline serviced that would not have restaurant or snack facilities at least for employees.  

Much appreciated.  

I don't know where you live but to just pick out airports near Orlando, FL without anything other than vending machines, if that.  Employees will have cars to go to "town" and eat.  XOY  Apopka, FA83  Zellwood, KTIX Titusville, KGIF Winter Haven, KLEE Leesburg, KBOW Bartow.  These are all smaller airports which might be near the plant or business where you are really going.  The fact that they have rest rooms, water, fuel all during daylight hours is a blessing.  Anything else is a plus to include vending machines.

These are all near Orlando but virtually every larger city in the US has many similar airports nearby.  A few are actually busy enough to have a restaurant or snack bar on the field but not many.

Best regards,

RA1

• Members
12 hours ago, AdamSmith said:

It is almost that bad at teeny-tiny public airports in small cities where one is constrained to go — and wait, and wait to take off for back home — in one’s work as a consultant.

My solution is to buy a big bag of power bars, nuts, etc. etc. from one’s local grocery; & stuff them into the carry-on luggage before heading to the airport at the start of the trip.

And buy enough not to eat them ALL on the outbound  leg. :ahappy:

I definitely did something similar when I was going to Europe.  I told people I did not fly across the Atlantic but ate my way across.  :)  The leg from Gander, Newfoundland to Shannon, Ireland was 1700 NM and would take 10-15 hours depending upon the aircraft and winds.

Best regards,

RA1

10 hours ago, RA1 said:

I definitely did something similar when I was going to Europe.  I told people I did not fly across the Atlantic but ate my way across.  :)  The leg from Gander, Newfoundland to Shannon, Ireland was 1700 NM and would take 10-15 hours depending upon the aircraft and winds.

Best regards,

RA1

This reminds indirectly of something I read from either Cronkite or Bob Schieffer (can’t recall which) about being on-air for hours on end in marathon coverage of elections or moon landings or whatever:

They NEVER ate from the rich, heavy, sleep-inducing buffet lines the network would lay out, but instead from surreptitiously snatching a light handful of nuts from their suit jacket during commercial breaks.

• Members
13 hours ago, AdamSmith said:

This reminds indirectly of something I read from either Cronkite or Bob Schieffer (can’t recall which) about being on-air for hours on end in marathon coverage of elections or moon landings or whatever:

They NEVER ate from the rich, heavy, sleep-inducing buffet lines the network would lay out, but instead from surreptitiously snatching a light handful of nuts from their suit jacket during commercial breaks.

It did not matter what I ate.  I was incredibly alert because my flight plan was based upon a compass heading and a winds aloft forecast.  Other than that the only thing I had to worry about was the engine and amount of fuel.

Best regards,

RA1

20 hours ago, RA1 said:

It did not matter what I ate.  I was incredibly alert because my flight plan was based upon a compass heading and a winds aloft forecast.  Other than that the only thing I had to worry about was the engine and amount of fuel.

Best regards,

RA1

Really an astute summary of how one ought to manage & steer one’s entire life course.

Astounding how many give no thought, but just flounder along. TV all evening instead of occasionally glancing into a book, etc etc.

We are not here forever.