likeohmygod

Brazil: do not overstay your visa [2.0 version]

• Members

I don't know it this update has already been presented to the community by someone else. A friend of me in SP who works at the Policia Federal told the there are some news for tourists visiting the country and overstaying the visa.

Until the end of 2017 overstaying your tourist visa in Brazil wasn't a big problem. No huge red stamps inside the passport (normally, not automatically, depends on the officer), and a small fine of about R$8/day with a maximum of R$800 in total to be paid before boarding the plane. Not a big concern.

The thing has now changed, if they catch you, the new fine is R$100/day with a maximum of R$10,000 per person. It will also result in a 7 to 60 days time window granted you to leave the country (still there is no clear law which tells how to deal with illegal immigrants who became illegal by overstaying). Paying the fine will not be compulsory when leaving, even if it's a good idea to fix your standings against the Policia Federal as soon as you're fined. But you will be forced to pay that on your next trip to the country otherwise you will not be allowed to enter (and this will also happen if you if your flight arrives in a moment of the day where banks are still closed since you cannot directly pay the PF). Paying the fine to a brazilian consulate in your country should be possible.

The red stamp thing of course is still valid and in case you're also overstaying the final grace time, allowed you to leave the country, you'll get banned for 1 to 5 years from visiting Brazil.

Again...nothing in Brazil is automatic since PF officers have their own autonomy when making decisions about tourists....but don't be stupid, or if you really like to stay here without having to meet deadlines, find a way to get a more flexible visa.

Edited by likeohmygod

• Members

Just to understand the rule, if it says 90 days on the visa, it means I can stay for 90 days counting from the day of the entry, even it goes beyond the date of validity indicated on the visa right? I think it’s mostly the case except for schengen visa. You are supposed to leave before 90 days or the date of validity, which ever comes first. 

• Members
17 minutes ago, endlessdream said:

Just to understand the rule, if it says 90 days on the visa, it means I can stay for 90 days counting from the day of the entry, even it goes beyond the date of validity indicated on the visa right?

Yes. The expiration date on the visa is for the date entry into the country. The number of days of your legal stay are counted starting your date of entry as the first. 

180 days on a rolling 12 month calendar in total.....generally give 90 days when you enter, for a US citizen anyway (I was given only 10 one time and had to argue/discuss for him to extend it to 30).

So, I've had them count all my stamps to see how many days I was there to make sure I wasn't over 180 days. They were kind of strict at the moment, when the US started requiring photos of Brazilians entering the US, and Brasil reciprocated by being dicks to us.....