Guest Astrrro

Changing Money In Bali

Guest Astrrro

OK, I know the fly by night money changers are known to short change people. And I know the exchange rate at the airport is bad.

In the past I've exchanged traveller's checks at licensed money changers but this time I don't have enough TC.

Are there plenty of ATMs around? Any special things I might need to know about Bali ATMs compared to Thai ATMs.

Is the exchange rate for baht to rupiah a fair one? In other words should I bring baht to Bali or should I first change it into dollars or rupiah in Thailand?

When i was there the exchange rate at the airport was the same as in the bank. I changed 200 Euro and got millions back. Now 1 Euro = 15000 rupiah. ATM have been working like in thailand or elsewhere. Only in the hotel was bad exchange. Visa on arrival i paid 25 Dollar. Its better to have US-Dollar or Euro. Even my supermarket was changing money but never change with moneychangers >> they betray you really. I found everything cheaper than in thailand - wages are lower than in thailand - my roommaid got 30 euro for one month. Not knowing i gave her first time 50000 rupiah ( around 4 euro) tip for good work and she was endless hugging me.

Guest lvdkeyes

Whenever traveling I use my ATM so that my US bank is the one who decides the exchange rate. I consistently get a better rate in Thailand than is posted here. In Bali I found ATM's all over, just as in Thailand.

Guest MonkeySee

The last time I was in Bali (1997 or 1998) I exchanged money at a very popular money changer in Kuta. The locals would also use it and so you know they had to be fair. It had a long desk and was always crowded. I am not sure if I could find it again.