Lucky

Movie: Marriage Story

• Members

Adam Driver is all over the entertainment news. I saw him last week in The Report, and I saw him last night in Marriage Story on Netflix. The movie received six Golden Globe nominations yesterday, including Best Actor for Adam Driver.

The movie is certainly well done. Scarlett Johansson plays the wife, Laura Dern plays her lawyer. My review says that the women in this movie are awfully harsh on the men. Driver can't win when they gang up on him. Dern, in particular, plays a ball-cutting divorce lawyer.

Ultimately, the movie was just depressing. If two well-intended people cannot make a go of marriage, what's that leave for others not so committed? Relationships are hard, but are they impossible in today's society? Yes, of course, I know of people with lengthy and satisfying relationships, but...it seems like the younger generation is having a harder time.

• Members
1 hour ago, TotallyOz said:

I didn't particularly enjoy the movie.

I'm not a particular fan of Noah Baumbach. I hated the first thirty minutes of the film. I hated the way they styled Scarlett Johansson. I thought her lesbian look was all wrong for this character. I enjoyed Azhy Robertson's complex performance. I thought the fight scene between Adam and Scarlett was superb. Adam deserves an award nod for this scene. In the end, I thought the film was interesting. I didn't find the story depressing at all. Love often changes between people who mean well. It's how we deal with that change that determines the outcome. I thought the story showed hope. That a failed marriage doesn't have to mean a failed love.

In a way, the story reminded me of some of the gay love stories I have encountered. Deep, loving relationships that changed over time, and the men remained friends when all the drama of the break up was over.