TotallyOz

Warning: Don't go to Brazil

• Members

Beyond visiting, I am planning to start my retirement in a few years living half of the year in Argentina and half in Brazil. Amazing prices are another local attraction not mentioned in the video. I checked 6 month rates in Airbnb (which I assume is more expensive that contacting a local agent), it is so affordable!

• Members
15 minutes ago, Latbear4blk said:

I am planning to start my retirement in a few years living half of the year in Argentina and half in Brazil.

@Latbear4blk won’t you end up paying a lot more in taxes? I guess the Argentine and Brazilian tax authorities will both tax you and the IRS will continue to exact payment in the US, and I think there’s little in the way of double-tax credit. Or are you planning to give up US residency in full and never return?

2 hours ago, Latbear4blk said:

Beyond visiting, I am planning to start my retirement in a few years living half of the year in Argentina and half in Brazil. Amazing prices are another local attraction not mentioned in the video. I checked 6 month rates in Airbnb (which I assume is more expensive that contacting a local agent), it is so affordable!

Good luck with that...Retirement money doesn't seem to go far in Brazil but you keep us posted 

• Members
2 hours ago, msclelovr said:

@Latbear4blk won’t you end up paying a lot more in taxes? I guess the Argentine and Brazilian tax authorities will both tax you and the IRS will continue to exact payment in the US, and I think there’s little in the way of double-tax credit. Or are you planning to give up US residency in full and never return?

I am US naturalized citizen, and also hold Argentine citizenship (in Argentina dual citizenship is ok). I will probably resign to my US citizenship and set residency in Argentina, where I will also have an income from retirement from my 20 years living and working there. Because of Mercosur, I can move freely, work, and reside in any country that is member or associated: Brazil, Uruguay, Chile, Bolivia, Peru, and I am not sure but I think also Colombia and Venezuela.

Actually, I am not yet planning but just looking prices around. I would ask for counseling from a lawyer once I start seriously planning.

• Members
8 hours ago, Latbear4blk said:

When you said "amazing prices", I thought you were referring to real estate price.  I visited BA last year, their real estate commercial ads were all showing prices in USD, they don't want pesos.  And their price are similar to Florida.  BUT,  BA is not Florida.

Edited by Walker

• Members
4 hours ago, Walker said:

When you said "amazing prices", I thought you were referring to real estate price.  I visited BA last year, their real estate commercial ads were all showing prices in USD, they don't want pesos.  And their price are similar to Florida.  BUT,  BA is not Florida.

Yes, real estate prices in Argentina (not only in Buenos Aires) are ridiculously high, but I already own where to live over there. Still, you can find very good prices for monthly rents.

The prices I am researching are in Brazil, where I will be renting.