Bucknaway1614502762

Returning to Brazil? When?

• Members

I was due to arrive in Brazil's Sao Paulo May 14th,. The trip was book long before covid 19 became an issue. As of today Canada airways has canceled the selected flight. I still have not going to CheapOair 2 claim a voucher oh, I think I will wait till the date gets closer and they are back in their office to get a full refund.

I'm now trying to decide when would be a good time to choose for a return to Brazil. As things begin to reopen here in the USA I am wondering if things will begin to clear up and Brazil as well but I am not so sure. Right now the news media is not very trustworthy and giving us accurate and unbiased information. Being an outsider it is hard to tell if I will be walking into a hotbed of contagion or if the risk of covet 19 has been greatly diminished.

Talkin with friends and internet acquaintances living in Brazil.  They are optimistic and not worried and feel as though he's alive is it would be fine and even an earlier visit would be opportune as well.

Right now here in the USA we are still practicing spatial distancing and the wearing of face masks. Neither one of these will save anyone from getting covid-19 but it may the working to slow the spread.  The distance in The mask is not foolproof.  

Was that being said I'm not fearful of contracting covid-19. No I don't want it but I am not scared to death of it. What scares me is force quarantine. That is not how I would want to spend two weeks of my life away from my home.

So now I get to decide when I would want to return to Brazil. I am thinking the second or third week in July would be a good time for me. That will still leave me time to try another location in the world for vacation like Thailand or the Dominican republic or even Puerto Rico in the month of October.

• Members

July seems so tempting and very very optimistic. My little brainless head is hoping for the best but my big brain knows that it is not likely to be safe for travel then. but since there is frankly so much uncertainty with this, no one knows for certain what might happen over the next two months. trust me we are seriously bullshitting our way through this!!! 

BTW you might not be afraid of death but COVID-19 is a very shitty way to die. It is not pretty...no death is, but this is very painful to watch so i imagine it is even worse to experience it.

• Members

While there are a few great medical centers in Brazil, the emphasis is on the word, "few". The descent from a little cough and fever into respiratory failure can happen so rapidly with Covid-19 that, even if you have the best medical evacuation insurance policy, it's likely you wouldn't have time to get back to U. S. hospitals.

So I ask you: Would you really want to spend your final days of life on a ventilator in a Brazilian ICU?

• Members
9 hours ago, brockmiller said:

July seems so tempting and very very optimistic. My little brainless head is hoping for the best but my big brain knows that it is not likely to be safe for travel then. but since there is frankly so much uncertainty with this, no one knows for certain what might happen over the next two months. trust me we are seriously bullshitting our way through this!!! 

BTW you might not be afraid of death but COVID-19 is a very shitty way to die. It is not pretty...no death is, but this is very painful to watch so i imagine it is even worse to experience it.

Did you watch a COVID-19 patient die? where?

• Members
45 minutes ago, Lucky said:

Our plans for a July trip to Rio are now canceled. It's going to be several months, if then, before the city is capable of handling tourists again. Or so I think.

You were also planning a trip to Rio in July? It would have been amazing getting together in Copacabana!

• Members

The only reason I am still fantasizing on traveling to Rio in July is my abundance of free time and the need for appealing masturbatory landscapes. I am aware it is not going to happen.

Not only because of traveling restrictions and locked down cities, but also right now I cannot make any serious plans as my calendar is in the air. They decided to end the school year earlier, and no one knows yet how the new academic calendar is going to look like for summer school and next school year. I hate the idea of having a 6/8 weeks summer break to be locked in home.

I'm thinking about the second half of August for 3 or 4 weeks. But I have been thinking for too long.

I could buy lufthansa ticket from my city in europe to rio for $500, now it's $1100

I could buy latam to SDU for $600, now it's 1200. 

I wonder if the prices drop again

I checked airbnb. The appartment I rented for $38 now $16

Still there are so many questions - will it be possible to transit via european airports? What about a quarantine on arrival to brazil (now it's voluntary 7 days if i am not wrong)?

What about quarantine on returning home?

And I think august-september is the best time to sneak in between two waves of virus, isn't it?

3 hours ago, rtu123 said:

I'm thinking about the second half of August for 3 or 4 weeks. But I have been thinking for too long.

I could buy lufthansa ticket from my city in europe to rio for $500, now it's $1100

I could buy latam to SDU for $600, now it's 1200. 

I wonder if the prices drop again

I checked airbnb. The appartment I rented for $38 now $16

Still there are so many questions - will it be possible to transit via european airports? What about a quarantine on arrival to brazil (now it's voluntary 7 days if i am not wrong)?

What about quarantine on returning home?

And I think august-september is the best time to sneak in between two waves of virus, isn't it?

You would be going to Brazil in the middle of winter when they may in the midst of their peak or right after...

Honestly you may want to chill out, relax and look at going to Brazil in 4 quarter of this year when it will be summer and prices will surely go back down

Also take into account you can literally fly anywhere you want to go but keep in mind what will be open/available for you to do...

Saunas a still closed, beaches are closed, all entertainment is shut down all over Brazil currently

• Members

The Emirates screening is a rapid blood test for antibodies. It is a start but not comprehensive as antibodies may not be detected in early stage of exposure. Similarly, asymptomatic cases (not amenable to symptom screening) yet yielding antibodies as early sign of fighting infection, while contagious and poor candidates for sharing your row, cannot be easily differentiated from recoverers that would typically demonstrate antibodies and would be the most excellent candidates for passenger status as well as ‘Mile-High-Club’ trick partners. The details of pass/fail status are unclear. 

I would want that latter example of person beside me in order to try to make away with some of their blood for possibly needed convalescent plasma (I jest ... cannot imagine the mechanics of that). 

So I would be more impressed with Emirates shoving this practice down my throat if, in the press release, they had referred to these limitations because it is a challenge to do the full shebang of fast-turn-around immunoassay nasal swabs shoved up my nasal orifice or polymerase chain reaction for viral antigen detection. Oof! A necessary first step with expected evolution though. 

• Members

A group of Brazilian epidemiologists has attempted to model an extrapolated best case scenario (lowest peak number of infections and avoidance of a rapid subsequent secondary wave, based on compliance with a few examples of duration of strict distancing). They came up with a mid-July tapering of distance measures, accompanied by a mid-June curve peak.

Anyone’s guess, a lot of this approaches crystal-ball predicting, but 3 more months!? given the current climate of sentiment. The absolute numbers projected are complex because the model includes susceptibility, that greatly amplifies the figures to millions but are not out of line with projected incidence rates for diseases such as seasonal influenza in a hypothetical case of non-existent vaccination. 

• Members

Because I would want to pay for the additional safety of business class as well as weigh the risks of noninsured medical expense ... in fact, at my age even if travel policies open up the rates will likely be exorbitant as long as the spectre of SARS-CoV persists ... the notion of, say, a 10-day sex tourism holiday in Brazil, particularly as I usually run no more than an average of one GdeP per day (if that), is looking more expensive than hooking up with much pricier providers locally. At home there is less pressure to make the holiday count and be sexually active each day.

But that dreamy hook-up on the last day of my sadly truncated visit ... dude, stop posting hot innocent yet evocative pics on social media!!

• Members
5 hours ago, Latbear4blk said:

To be realistic, I do not think any traveling at all is going to be in my plans until there is a vaccine. … I do not want to travel to any city to be in a mandated two weeks lock down. 

Totally agree. Why would you gamble recklessly until you know that you are protected, either through an effective vaccine or by proof that you carry sufficient protective levels of anti-SARS-CoV-2 IgG antibodies?

Oh, and BTW, the situation with testing right now is scandalous -- and not only because we are doing inadequate testing of critical populations. My front line friends tell me that they are seeing unacceptable false negative tests on Trump's ballyhooed 15 min Abbott Labs test for acute infection and lesser but still significant false negatives on the (Roche and other laboratories') nasopharyngeal swab PCR acute Covid-19 test you have undoubtedly heard about.

And the current panoply of tests for anti-SARS-CoV-2 IgG antibodies is a joke. The FDA has abrogated its responsibility for quality control on the antibody test by allowing virtually any lab to market its own homebrew assay. Many of those are completely worthless, showing high rates of false positive and/or false negative IgG assays. And the other extremely troubling but fundamental issue is that we really don't know at this time whether certain levels of SARS-CoV-2 IgG antibodies are, in fact, protective.

Guys, I can't speak to the extent or accuracy of acute and convalescent Covid-19 testing in other countries but, in my opinion, what we are seeing right at this moment in the U.S. is frankly criminal. Why would you even consider planning a trip right now, at a moment when we know so little about the future course of this pandemic in North America, Europe, and Asia, let alone in Brazil?

• Members
3 hours ago, sydneyboy1 said:

I’m booked for late October but I don’t like my chances. 

No one knows what the situation will be in October 2020 but the Director of the U.S. Centers for Disease Control (CDC) is saying a second wave is likely in autumn and/or winter and that we could see simultaneous epidemics of Covid-19 and influenza at that time. That would be devastating to health care systems everywhere.

This story linked below, about the current status of Covid-19 in hospitals in Rio de Janeiro, is heartbreaking. The young doctor in the more affluent Zona Oeste who is interviewed reports that he has only one ventilator per 30 Covid-19 cases and that they are having to make decisions about who receives - or doesn't receive - respiratory support.

Another hospital in the more economically challenged Zona Norte, where many of our GdePs live, reports that facility's ICU beds are filled to capacity.

It's a tragic state of affairs no matter how you look at it. And I suspect that much of Brazil is still on the upslope of the Covid-19 case and death curve.

G1: Médico do Rio diz ter só um respirador para 30 pacientes: ‘A gente acaba tendo que escolher'.
https://g1.globo.com/rj/rio-de-janeiro/noticia/2020/04/22/medico-do-rio-diz-ter-so-um-respirador-para-30-pacientes-a-gente-acaba-tendo-que-escolher.ghtml