JKane

Streaming suggestions thread...

• Members

My first wholehearted suggestion is The Pharmacist on Netflix.  

Imagine a documentary that was fantastical but not mostly made up BS...  The Pharmacist is the true story of a man late in years who deals with the tragedy of his son in some unique and amazing ways, in the heart of the opioid epidemic.  

• Members

I recently watched the Irishman on Netflix.  It was gruesome but interesting.  The mafia + Jimmy Hoffa, how can you go wrong?

For me one interesting scene was a charter flight where the passenger and pilot got on board (a Cessna 421C if anyone knows or cares) and started it up without benefit of fuel.  Hollyweird at work.

Best regards,

RA1

• Members

31 minutes ago, RA1 said:

I recently watched the Irishman on Netflix.  It was gruesome but interesting.  The mafia + Jimmy Hoffa, how can you go wrong?

For me one interesting scene was a charter flight where the passenger and pilot got on board (a Cessna 421C if anyone knows or cares) and started it up without benefit of fuel.  Hollyweird at work.

Best regards,

RA1

Irishman was interesting (also from a VFX standpoint) but it had it's own threads here and was massively promoted and featured.  

What "flew under the radar" (heh) that you've enjoyed and would recommend?  

• Members
8 minutes ago, JKane said:

Irishman was interesting (also from a VFX standpoint) but it had it's own threads here and was massively promoted and featured.  

What "flew under the radar" (heh) that you've enjoyed and would recommend?  

I really don't watch that many movies but with the stay at home something gives. I usually watch sports but if I think of an under the radar movie I will let you know.

Best regards.

RA1

On 4/25/2020 at 12:17 AM, RA1 said:

I really don't watch that many movies but with the stay at home something gives. I usually watch sports but if I think of an under the radar movie I will let you know.

Best regards.

RA1

What sports can you watch now?  I am being serious. I didn't think anything was still going on.

• Members

I enjoyed Bruce Springsteen on Broadway concert on Netflix. Although I am not as big a fan of Springsteen as in the 1970s and 1980s, I did see his two solo concerts in Philadelphia in 2005.

Glad to see his wife, Patti, sing also. And during the applause his very cute young son Sam had some nice moments with his dad. Sam is in his 20s.

• Members

I am eagerly awaiting “Hollywood”, the new Ryan Murphy show on Netflix. It starts on May 1. 

It seems very promising with lots of male nudity and it features David Corenswet. He’s a man on whom I have a major-crush, and I believe that @TotallyOz is not immune to his charms.

• Members

I started watching Counterpart last weekend (originally a Starz production, now available in Amazon Prime), and hopefully will finish the second season tonight or tomorrow. If you are into sci fi thrillers you will love it.

It is the typical Parallel Universe narrative with some twists. There is not an infinite number of Universes as it is traditional in this sci fi them. There is only one. In 1987 an experiment accidentally creates a copy of our world. Of course, how to tell which one is the original and which one the copy is impossible. These two world initially identical start to differ, and this disparity increases after the 90s, when one of the worlds suffers a pandemic, which the other one is suspected to be responsible for. The existence of the other reality is a secret, the general population is unaware of it. Around the administration of the passage in between both worlds, spies play a complicated and engaging espionage game.

Acting is superb, and screen writing is outstanding. It is an international production, mostly shot in Berlin. One of the things I like the most is that the differences between the two worlds are only partially explained, a lot is left to your imagination and observational skills. Usually in this kind of plots there is a logical organization of the differences between realities. Not here. Part of the premise is that any random little action can trigger those differences. We cannot talk about butterfly effect because this is not a time traveling plot, but the logic is the same. You cannot track and explain the differences, beyond big events like the pandemic.

I highly recommend it.

Edited by Latbear4blk

On 4/27/2020 at 5:43 AM, Lucky said:

Oz is bumping up a lot of his old suggestions, but if he could incorporate them into this one- he is am admin, after all!- then they could be found more easily.

Plus they would stay in one place!

I know your desire, but disagree. It is easier for me to have different threads on different movies, shows, etc. I have contributed here on this thread and will continue to do so. I'll also continue adding new threads as I see fit when I like something and want to share.

• Members

It's your show. You will note that I made a "suggestion," nothing more. I found it hard to live with my own suggestion because I wanted to promote Hollywood on Netflix with its own thread. It might get lost in a long list.

Edited by Lucky

12 hours ago, Lucky said:

It's your show. You will note that I made a "suggestion," nothing more. I found it hard to live with my own suggestion because I wanted to promote Hollywood on Netflix with its own thread. It might get lost in a long list.

Did it for you. Just finished the season and loved it. A bit overboard at times but fun to watch!