JKane

Streaming suggestions thread...

• Members

Nightflyers. I liked it a lot, unfortunately SyFy cancelled it after the first season. Nothing sexy, just 10 great episodes of well written, acted, and produced dark science fiction. The plot surprised me several times, so I am not going to spoil the experience to anybody. If you like sci fi, you will probably like it.

• Members

Zombie Apocalypse in Rio. This is probably the series with the highest rate of character mortality I have ever seen. The cast is almost fully replaced every 3/5 episodes. Very few eye candy, and when there is one quickly becomes a not very sexy zombie, but it is fun and a great chance to practice your listening in Portuguese.

• Members

I haven't watched it yet only because cable is not working. Yes, time was not on the side of many black infantry. White infantry men had time to write "eat me" on their caps.

Rolling Stones' "time is on my side" in war meant survived another day. Often misunderstood in ivy league courses on Vietnam.

• Members

I've been watching reruns of Perry Mason on MeTV.  I also watched the complete series once before in the 80's.

The formula never gets tired for me and I enjoy noticing things that have changed since the 50's/60's like everybody smoking.  Takes me back to my very early childhood.

• Members

Watched two original streaming movies this week...

Greyhound was originally intended for theatrical distribution, but, well...  now it's only on AppleTV.  Not as good as other Tom Hanks WWII stuff (lacking in characters) but I still quite liked it, thrilling and intense depiction of not some epic and tide-turning battle but instead of something that happened nearly every day for years(!!!).  

I highly recommend it, especially if you like naval battles.  

• Members

I passed on Old Guard after watching a half hour. What I was surprised at was the Jeffery Epstein 4-part on Netflix. Wow. 

Unfortunately I've found there's 100+ each episodes of The Office (20 min) and Shameless (US) (50 min) on Netflix so whenever I think "I can kill 20 minutes" I turn one on. Two or three hours later I regret how little I've gotten done. Probably better to stick with a 1 hour allotted time each night for an episode of a new streamer. I think maybe there are addictive subliminal messages hidden in those old junk cable series.  

Edited by tassojunior

• Members

Doom Patrol, in HBO Max. Another twist to the superheroes/mutants/antiheroes narrative. It is a dark comedy with ups and downs, but several times made me laugh loudly. One of the main characters is a closeted former Air Force pilot. One of the plot twists is an abnormality who is not a person but a place. Danny The Street is a teleporting queer gender neutral street that welcomes all queer people, with a never ending drag queens cabaret show. Acting could be better, but it is entertaining.

Edited by Latbear4blk

On 7/15/2020 at 1:24 AM, JKane said:

And the second...

If you just want an action movie with some good fight scenes and an interesting premise, The Old Guard does quite nicely.  Charlize Theron is great as always.  

I really enjoyed this one!

• Members

I finished binging on Netflix's "DARK DESIRE" last evening.   ...didn't know the story line prior to watching, and I don't particularly care to cite any specifics.  Watch!  I think you might like all of the mystery that surrounds this "flix."   :):) 

Edited by axiom2001

• Members

Below is Cherise, a character in the Hulu 10 episode remake of the movie HIgh Fidelity, based on Nick Hornsby's novel.      

I loved Cherise, an awesome character played by Da'Vine Joy Randolph.  

The main character is a young woman played by Zoe Kravitz.    She's very good, IMO.   The story was originally a young man's journey, so switching it up to a young woman is refreshing.   Using characters of diverse race and sexuality is also refreshing. 

I binge watched it.  The first epi made me shrug my shoulders but glad I carried on.   Would give it a B+ to A-.   

9335559.jpg

• Members

Streaming on dekkoo:

"Global Warming".  Four gay short films I particularly liked "Performance Anxiety."

"Bad Boy Street"

Transaction of the title of a French film.

See it for the very hot young man who plays an American actor who falls in love with an older French man

• Members

Amazon and Google have Christopher Nolan's Insomnia  on sale- 99 cent rent, 4.99 buy.  Free on HBO Max.  Remake of a Norwegian film. Robin Williams best serious role. Al Pacino & Hilary Swank. 

https://www.amazon.com/Insomnia-Al-Pacino/dp/B008PZZZWA/?tag=slickdeals&ascsubtag=2673d498de7911eaab4c02ced187688b0INT

My Friday night schedule.

1 hour ago, Latbear4blk said:

HBO is starting this Sunday a new series based in Lovercraft imagery. I am always surprised about how many Americans do not know this writer. He and Poe are probably in my top 5 favs. If I remember properly, and of course if this show is actually good, @AdamSmithmay enjoy it.

Ia! Ia! Cthulhu fhtagn!

^_^

• Members

One reason the vaccine has to be out soon is that Hollywood is closed down and no new shows are being made. Even when it reopens it will have meager casts and sets. 

https://www.bloomberg.com/opinion/articles/2020-04-06/coronavirus-netflix-hbo-get-no-new-movies-with-hollywood-shut

As housebound consumers devour more TV content than ever, new shows and movies aren’t getting made.

Netflix’s “Stranger Things,” HBO’s “Succession,” ABC’s “Grey’s Anatomy,” AMC Networks Inc.’s “The Walking Dead,” Hulu’s “Handmaid’s Tale” and Apple Inc.’s “The Morning Show” are among other series with highly anticipated returning seasons that will be delayed

On 8/15/2020 at 7:23 AM, Latbear4blk said:

HBO is starting this Sunday a new series based in Lovercraft imagery. I am always surprised about how many Americans do not know this writer. He and Poe are probably in my top 5 favs. If I remember properly, and of course if this show is actually good, @AdamSmithmay enjoy it.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/NecronomiCon_Providence