JKane

Streaming suggestions thread...

• Members
4 hours ago, Latbear4blk said:

I just watched the first episode of this new HBO series. Very promising. Just drooling for Jonathan Majors makes it worthy to watch, but it is a very well written, performed, and produced TV. I wish HBO followed Netflix model and released the whole series at once.

Did  Jonathan Majors have a supporting role in "Da 5 Bloods.".  The name is very familiar.  Good film.

• Members

So I watched all of Doom Patrol.  It is very unique, not very super-hero-y, some humor and pathos, kinda slow moving, fair amount of LGBT content (my favorite character is Gary) though a bit idiotic to keep Matt Bomer wrapped in bandages most of the time!!!  

Also caught up on Jon Oliver.  

For some reason (drunk but NOT DRUNK ENOUGH) I watched the Birds of Prey (Harley Quinn) movie.  DO NOT RECOMMEND.  FOR ANYBODY, except maybe an enemy.  

Liking the options on HBO Max, seems worth it, will eventually start Raised by Wolves.  

But first I wanted to watch The Boys over on Amazon Prime.  First episode seemed mostly slow and pointless.  

Also finally got around to Knives Out.  Pretty good, though that accent (why was Daniel Craig channeling Kevin Spacey?!) was stupid and the stuff related to the center of the story was obviously all wrong.  

• Members
On 8/22/2020 at 12:25 PM, Latbear4blk said:

I just watched the first episode of this new HBO series. Very promising. Just drooling for Jonathan Majors makes it worthy to watch, but it is a very well written, performed, and produced TV. I wish HBO followed Netflix model and released the whole series at once.

I just watched episode 9. I cried like a baby. After the scarring #8, this one was sad and painful. Definitely, my favorite show this year so far and by far. The only thing where I find anything to improve is some of the acting. But it is not a distraction when the story is so well narrated and the content is so meaningful and engaging. 

• Members

Watched Ma Rainey's Black Bottom yesterday.  

It's something, especially knowing that Chadwick is dying as you watch, which is hard to separate from the content.  His acting is stunning but it just seems like too much in this short a space to me.  

Everything about it is just unpleasant.  Everybody is sweaty and pissed off, the amount of drama during a quick recording session is ridiculous.  It just keeps beating you over the head with the message that these bad old times were bad.  Kinda knew that.  

The music is interesting but less than you'd expect.  

1 hour ago, JKane said:

So I've now watched Wonder Woman 1984 on HBO Max...

WW1984 is downright BAD.  It shits all over the continuity and writing of the first movie.  Throws in new bullshit all over the place and just accomplishes nothing.  

I really enjoyed it. It was a VERY Slow start but once it started, I enjoyed the show and the actors.

1 hour ago, JKane said:

Also watched The Midnight Sky on Netflix...

Well, it perfectly captures 2020 at least.  It is gorgeous, ponderous (many say slow), and interesting.  But I wouldn't say I'm better or happier for having watched it.  

Sorry, I wanted to like it and I watched it.but, like you, I am not sure I am happier for watching it. It was about as blah as I could watch.

I just finished Vikings Season 6, the final 10 episodes and they were lovely. I loved the story and the conclusion.