JKane

Streaming suggestions thread...

On 11/29/2021 at 1:26 AM, JKane said:

I was VERY DISSAPOINTED by Foundation.  First episode was interesting and then NOTHING HAPPENS through the end of the season even the finale episode!   

https://appleinsider.com/articles/21/09/24/foundation-is-beautiful-lavish-and-boring-say-reviews

Can't believe it already has a second season green-lit.  I wonder if anything's going to change now that everybody's fallen asleep through the rest of the season...

I really enjoyed it. I loved the visuals and the story. I can't wait for Season 2. I think most thought it would be the next Game of Thrones, but it is not. It is a big odd but I enjoyed it.

1 hour ago, Latbear4blk said:

I was not VERY DISAPPOINTED like @JKane but disappointed indeed. Are you fond of Isaac Asimov, @TotallyOz? If you were not familiar with his novels, that may explain why you were not disappointed at all.

Yes, I am familiar. Like Game of Thrones, I was disappointed in the beginning but it grew on it after a few episodes. This one did grew on me because I loved the beauty of the cinematography and the rest started to fall in line. I hope season 2 is better.

• Members

The Last Picture Show has been streaming on Showtime.  I did a little research and found the film was released 50 years ago.  So perhaps that is why it's streaming now, to remember the 50 year anniversary. 

I learned it is based on a novel of the same name by Larry McMurtry, who we may know from Brokeback Mountain fame.

I was awestruck.   For cinephiles I assume The Last Picture Show is considered a masterpiece, especially the cinematography and direction.    

The term bromance probably didn't exist back then, in 1951 rural Texas.  To me the film embodies what a bromance might have been between two straight guys in those times,  in the most subtle ways, ways that are lost on modern Hollywood.  The story involves more than just those two of course.   The cast was amazing.

Truly a one-of-a-kind film.

Jeff+Bridges+Timothy+Bottoms.JPG

• Members

Picard Season 2 seems better than 1 but still... meh.  Starts in exactly the post-TNG era we wanted, THIS time suddenly without potty-mouthed admirals calling Picard a fuckwad and Starfleet Headquarters reception not knowing who he is...  

Yes!

Nope, jumps the fuck outta that timeline as quick as possible.  Still, pretty to look at, wish it was Star Trek.  I mean, they're going to try to have some of the poignance of previous great time-travel episodes but the fact the show runners don't care about or understand ST will come through as clearly as THE MESSAGE they shove down our throats.  Racism bad, mmmm'kay?  

Watched the first episode of Halo as well.  Very underwhelmed.  VFX were nothing special, whole lotta gameplayer fan service.  

• Members

So, Picard Season 2 is a SLOOOG but the last episode kinda pays it off.  Not sure it was worth it at all.  Way better than Picard Season 1 but so's watching dogshit turn white on the curb.  

HOWEVER, Strange New Worlds has be EXCELENT so far!  

--Anson Mount ME.

Station 11, eh, interesting.  

The Offer on Paramount Plus seems amazing, it's about the making of The Godfather and a great glimpse into Hollywood of the time.  

Hey guys. I've just joined this site and am so grateful for the wealth of information provided here. I went through the streaming suggestions on this thread. While they are all amazing, they are mostly all in English, so I thought of providing some non-English examples that I love. I really enjoyed watching this new Indian film called RRR. It's on Netflix and is the No. 1 non-English film globally as of last week, and has also done amazing business in India. It's got elements of history and colonialism and the Indian struggle for independence (it involves 2 freedom fighters in 1920s India under British rule), pretty cool special effects, and a strong bromance (some people have interpreted some homoerotic undertones). Here's a link to one of the scenes in the film :)

Just saw this beautiful film that I wanted to share with everyone here. It's a Japanese animated film from 2016 called "In This Corner of the World". It's set during World War II in Japan, and shows the life of a young bride who adjusts to life during the war, and shows the impact it has on her day-to-day life and her family. I found it really touching because of how it clearly shows that even during war, you cannot tar every citizen of a country with the same brush because of the actions of their government; very often, the normal people have no say in their government's actions. I think this is particularly resonating now, with Russia's invasion of Ukraine. A lot of Russians are themselves against the war, but cannot do much themselves. I hope you guys like the film :). Here's the trailer:

• Members
On 6/6/2022 at 9:12 PM, Sherlocked said:

Hey guys. I've just joined this site and am so grateful for the wealth of information provided here. I went through the streaming suggestions on this thread. While they are all amazing, they are mostly all in English, so I thought of providing some non-English examples that I love. I really enjoyed watching this new Indian film called RRR. It's on Netflix and is the No. 1 non-English film globally as of last week, and has also done amazing business in India. It's got elements of history and colonialism and the Indian struggle for independence (it involves 2 freedom fighters in 1920s India under British rule), pretty cool special effects, and a strong bromance (some people have interpreted some homoerotic undertones). Here's a link to one of the scenes in the film :)

Another good Indian film (mostly in English) is LOEV.  

It left Netflix, but worth looking for.

• Members

I just watched Edge of Seventeen.  Streaming on Netflix.

One of those films I was never inclined to watch, but finally gave it a try.

Better than I thought it would be.  I liked the lead character.  His experience is similar to what many of us remember, dipping our toe into the gay pool.  Holds up pretty good for 20+ years old gay film.

On 6/11/2022 at 6:20 PM, Pete1111 said:

Another good Indian film (mostly in English) is LOEV.  

It left Netflix, but worth looking for.

Yes, I've heard about this film from a few people and they all gave good reviews. Nowadays Netflix seems to be getting rid of good films and shows at an astonishing rate - this coupled with their recent price hike in the US and Canada has started souring me towards them! 

• Members
On 3/27/2022 at 10:57 PM, Pete1111 said:

YouTube Pride Central channel has several gay films.

I watched Heartstone, from Iceland.  Nordic language with English subtitles.  Pretty good  film.   Teens grappling with sexuality and so forth.  Quite poignant if you like that sort of film.  

Another film on YouTube #PrideCentral is Retake.  
Not something I'd watch again, but still was a good watch. 

The premise is a little far fetched, yet is an original idea.  I gradually came to care about the two leads, especially the younger guy, Devon Graye.

MV5BMzIxZDZjOTMtZjdlZi00MTVkLTk5NDMtOTUz