JKane

Streaming suggestions thread...

On 1/7/2022 at 2:51 PM, TotallyOz said:

Tick, Tick... Boom!

This is the Jonathon Larson story. I loved Rent and saw it 100 times. I enjoyed seeing this a great deal on Netflix.

TotallyOz, thanks for this film recommendation.  Not knowing what to watch last night I inadvertently found this forum channel, "streaming suggestions" - which is great and consequently I was able to watch Tick, Tick... Boom!

This film hit home for me as it was depicts the struggle of the late 1980s and 1990s regarding the effects that AIDS was having on our community. Unfortunately, I lost so many dear friends in those awful years.  Although this was not the primary focus of this film, it was well done how they made you understand that it was always there in the background lurking.  I never knew the story of Jonathon Larson, which I felt he was a very heart warming and loving individual.  It is truly incredible that he was not gay himself - but that is what probably made this film more intriguing.  

Without giving away the ending of the film - I found it incredibly powerful all of the many references to the phrase, "I don't have much time left" and its relationship to Jonathan's untimely end.....

• Members

Well, I watched The Sandman over the weekend.

Ehh... starts with a hot naked brooding twink, so it's got that going for it.  But... I dunno, once that actor started talking (while still pouting) it lost something.  

No insight into the comics and it seemed well done and kinda interesting.  Overall, meh, but I may watch a second season eventually.  It's at least good to have supported something original.  

• Members

Watched the first four episodes of She Hulk...

Meh.  Not nearly as funny as it should/could be.  Now THIS may be an example of what happens with "too much wokeness", or maybe it's just not made for me?  That'd be fine, IF there is indeed a substantial audience that's loving it.  I doubt it though.