Lucky

The Next Visit to Thailand

• Members

Tourists are currently not allowed in Thailand, and today THAI Airways says it will not restart international flights until at least August 1st.

https://www.bangkokpost.com/learning/easy/1933704/thai-may-delay-flights-until-aug-1

But, when you do get back there, for the first time you will be able to walk across the Chao Praya River! A project that was abandoned in 1992 has come back and opens next month:

https://www.bangkokpost.com/learning/easy/1933208/skypark-across-chao-phraya-river-to-open-this-month

c1_1933208_620x413.jpg

And, in Pattaya, the beach has been enlarged. Now Jomtien Beach will also be enlarged, but it will take a while.

https://www.bangkokpost.com/thailand/general/1933848/work-to-start-on-b586m-enlargement-of-jomtien-beach

The curfew will be ended soon for nightlife, but there are exceptions: "The source said that Gen Prayut agreed to lift the 11pm-3am curfew so that people could return to their normal life. Almost all businesses would be allowed to resume except pubs, bars, karaoke shops and bath-sauna-massage parlours."

Thank goodness for dry massage!

4T_4.jpg

Above is the 4-T Bar on Jomtien Beach

Edited by Lucky

• Members

Thanks for posting this, krub

In Pattaya they have been working for years and years on the beach, and the project at Dongtan/Jomtien really disrupted beach life.... even the chair vendors had to close a day a week because of all the work and some businesses really had a hard time. Can't wait for it to get back to normal life there.

As you probably know, Bangkok is very unfriendly to the pedestrian, so the river crossing bridge is great news. Just wish it were to closer to the Silom/Sathorn area, maybe they could do something around Saphan Thaksin, yes?

Again: cheers for the news from home!

1 hour ago, SexyAsianStud said:

And Soi Twilight is no more.

True. But, I like the new gay area just as well. The gogo bars are nicer IMHO. Lots of seats and mostly new. I don't like they are mixed in with all the lady bars but I'm OK with it. It seems more of them are turning gay. I also don't like the cars going down the Soi. But, I do like the bar sets up a bit more. Also, no place to watch boys go by like before.

• Members

Thailand is one of a few countries that now requires proof of medical insurance that includes coronavirus coverage in order to enter. As I think that applies to the few non-citizens granted entry under exceptional circumstances, as there is otherwise a strict travel ban, it is something that should be checked if and when foreign nationals can travel there. 

• Members

American tourism in Thailand represents .5% GDP. By contrast, Chinese tourism there represents 10% GDP. Thailand has its head screwed on tight and right and won’t recklessly trade off overall stability for the one-fifth of GDP that is travel/tourism. It is not The Maldives. 

It is also thinking outside of the box, contemplating reciprocal tourism agreements with select nations as well as designating cloistered dedicated tourist zones. There is a correlation between visitors accepting of that level of management and the origin countries that represent the majority share of visitation to Thailand.

More “Western” tourists will not be very accepting of the segregation model and will consider it an affront to privilege and autonomy, but why should Thailand care? It did the proper heavy lifting for its citizens and has honey badger status.

Edited by Riobard

Thailand has done a nice job with this IMHO. They are keeping the country safe. Yes, Covid insurance is required, as it 14 day quarantine. I had friends just out of quarantine today and it was OK for them. They were stuck in a hotel room that was supervised. But, I am happy they are monitoring things carefully. All it takes is one mess up.

On 6/12/2020 at 9:42 AM, Lucky said:

Tourists are currently not allowed in Thailand, and today THAI Airways says it will not restart international flights until at least August 1st.

https://www.bangkokpost.com/learning/easy/1933704/thai-may-delay-flights-until-aug-1

But, when you do get back there, for the first time you will be able to walk across the Chao Praya River! A project that was abandoned in 1992 has come back and opens next month:

https://www.bangkokpost.com/learning/easy/1933208/skypark-across-chao-phraya-river-to-open-this-month

c1_1933208_620x413.jpg

And, in Pattaya, the beach has been enlarged. Now Jomtien Beach will also be enlarged, but it will take a while.

https://www.bangkokpost.com/thailand/general/1933848/work-to-start-on-b586m-enlargement-of-jomtien-beach

The curfew will be ended soon for nightlife, but there are exceptions: "The source said that Gen Prayut agreed to lift the 11pm-3am curfew so that people could return to their normal life. Almost all businesses would be allowed to resume except pubs, bars, karaoke shops and bath-sauna-massage parlours."

Thank goodness for dry massage!

4T_4.jpg

Above is the 4-T Bar on Jomtien Beach

...came back here today (1.12.21) and viewed this photo for the first time.  ...would like to meet the two guys on the right side of photograph.  They look like they'd be much fun!

• Members

Usually visit Bangkok every year but not been since 2019, miss Bangkok!  Hopefully at the end of this year.  Love the hotels, food, shopping, weather, Silom bars and the foot massages!  Can really get pampered in Thailand,  Just hope businesses will be able to survive with fewer tourists.  

• Members

The Secretary of the Australian Department of Health and former Chief Medical Officer, Professor Brendan Murphy said yesterday that he can’t see border restrictions eased this year. He made it clear that the vaccine(s) are not a panacea. His statement made the Australian travel industry very depressed.

I’m afraid we just be planning and dreaming beyond 2021.