TotallyOz

Special Events in Thailand

There are lots of holidays that we are not used to, being foreign. Many of the holidays I really look forward to and have a great time. Part of loving Thailand is taking in all the culture and being a part of all their events. When a special event is coming up, many get excited and make plans. The bar boys love the holidays when the bar is closed and they get a break off from their regular routine.

Me, I love Songkran the most. What is your favorite event in Thailand? What do you look forward to the most?

Guest fountainhall
Me, I love Songkran the most

Sure, Songkran is unique and great fun. Loy Krathong is equally unique and fun in a different, perhaps more meaningful way.

But the Ubon Candle Festival has been for me one of the most sensational of all Thai Festivals.

post-1892-1231570108_thumb.jpg

Guest Astrrro
Sure, Songkran is unique and great fun. Loy Krathong is equally unique and fun in a different, perhaps more meaningful way.

But the Ubon Candle Festival has been for me one of the most sensational of all Thai Festivals.

I like Loy Krathong. I'd also like to experience Songkran upcountry or anyplace that's not a warzone the way Sodom By The Sea is.

Btw, today is Children's Day (no Sunee jokes please) in Thailand. This afternoon they are having some special events at Tony's Bazaar for the kids.

Thanks for the photos. Looks lovely. I didn't know much about this but googled it and found:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ubon_Ratchath...Candle_Festival

Me, I love Songkran the most.

I'm with you on Songkran. So many farang hate it and many locals find somewhere else to be during that time, but I'll be right here and enjoying every bit of it. Having a car comes in very handy. I get to decide for myself whether I want to be splashed or not. But on the main day . . . all those boys in soaking wet t-shirts or, better still, shirtless . . . I love it! You can bet that I'll be out there for it.

By the way, the main water splashing day in Pattaya in 2009 will be Sunday, April 19.

Guest GaySacGuy

One of my favorites is Loy Krathong which has always been fun. But, living in Ubon, the candle festival is my favorite. It goes on all weekend, and is really neat in the evening with all the floats lite. It covers a lot of area and bring a lot of people to the community (and money of course) so is good for Ubon.

It marks the start of the Buddist Lent as I understand it. It is usually early to mid July.

Guest lvdkeyes
By the way, the main water splashing day in Pattaya in 2009 will be Sunday, April 19.

The 19th may be "the main water splashing day", but if you go out walking around Pattaya any day between the 13th and 19th you will get soaked and covered with powder or paste and some of it is colored.

The 19th may be "the main water splashing day", but if you go out walking around Pattaya any day between the 13th and 19th you will get soaked and covered with powder or paste and some of it is colored.

That's true, and most of it comes from drunken, low-life farang! If I recall, there was even an incident in 2007 when one idiot farang was actually caught spraying people with a caustic substance and he injured a young Thai boy's eyes with it. I don't know what ended up happening to him, but I hope the penalty was severe.

Guest LastSamurai

Hello,

I plan to come down to Thailand in April. I've visited many time, but never had the opportunity to observe SONGKRAN!

First of all, have I got the dates FOR 2009 right. April 13 - 15??? If not, corrections will be more than appreciated.

I intend to spend most of my time in Pattaya. but I feel inclined to query those of yopu more experienced: Where is the best place in the Kingdom to be to see the real SONGKRAN?????

Chaing Mai is toted by guide books as to be the place? What do you think? Is this really so, or just hype? What about transport (preferably by train, but bus will be OK) and budget accommodation in this period, coming without any prior reservations for either?

Your perspectives will be appreciated.

Chaing Mai is toted by guide books as to be the place? What do you think? Is this really so, or just hype?

Chiang Mai will have a much more traditional Songkran. That would be my recommendation.

As for budget accommodations, I recommend the Come-On Place. It's gay owned, very nice, easy transportation, and very helpful staff. They charge about 800 baht per night. Just about anywhere else in Chiang Mai starts at 1300 baht per night. I really like Come-On Place. It's always my first choice whenever I visit Chiang Mai.

Their web site is: http://www.comeonplace.net/comeon_index.php

Guest fountainhall
Chiang Mai will have a much more traditional Songkran

I'm told the only downside about Songkran in Chiang Mai is that the pollution in March/April is generally pretty awful, worse than most other cities.

I'm told the only downside about Songkran in Chiang Mai is that the pollution in March/April is generally pretty awful, worse than most other cities.

For Songkran, ChiangMai is the most well celebrated in Thailand. Beer Stage around the Moat/City, people swinging all their ways. Battle of Splashing is seen everywhere. You hv to be in the mood to joint in the Fun, for Thai is a Blessing event. Be cautious not to walk to near to the canal as the locals get their water from the canal. Its a common sight Farangs hired Tuktuk with a big bucket of icy water making their rounds around the moats.

Fesitval wise, you have to be in Nongkhai - Phon Phisai sometime 3rd week of Oct to witness the FireBall shot from the Mekong River. See for yourself, its not gimmick as I witnessed it last two years.

Enjoy

Guest MonkeySee
One of my favorites is Loy Krathong which has always been fun. But, living in Ubon, the candle festival is my favorite. It goes on all weekend, and is really neat in the evening with all the floats lite. It covers a lot of area and bring a lot of people to the community (and money of course) so is good for Ubon.

It marks the start of the Buddist Lent as I understand it. It is usually early to mid July.

So the candle festival is a sort of Mardi Gras without the beads. I have never attended but the candle festival sounds lovely.

Guest fountainhall
he candle festival sounds lovely

I guarantee it is. But one caveat: hotels in the city are usually booked solid many months in advance. And since there is so much to do and see, I'm sure GaySacGuy would agree that it's better to be staying in the city than commuting in from outside.

Chiang Mai will have a much more traditional Songkran. That would be my recommendation.

As for budget accommodations, I recommend the Come-On Place. It's gay owned, very nice, easy transportation, and very helpful staff. They charge about 800 baht per night. Just about anywhere else in Chiang Mai starts at 1300 baht per night. I really like Come-On Place. It's always my first choice whenever I visit Chiang Mai.

Their web site is: http://www.comeonplace.net/comeon_index.php

Yes, Chiang Mai has a great Songkran. Come on place is a very good economical place to stay. For longer stays there are studios over the garage at a reasonable rate, and the place is right next to a pretty little park full of non-gay activity. However, you will not get a lot of personal attention. If your budget is larger I would suggest PJ's place where the owners will give you advice and guide service as part of the rate. Depends on your budget. Chiang mai is hot and smoky during this time of year, but the evening has a slight breeze which clears the air. Enjoy.

http://www.pjs-place.com/

Guest GaySacGuy
I guarantee it is. But one caveat: hotels in the city are usually booked solid many months in advance. And since there is so much to do and see, I'm sure GaySacGuy would agree that it's better to be staying in the city than commuting in from outside.

I would agree, especially since transportation is pretty limited. Parking is also scarce near the display area. But by walking a few blocks, you can get pretty close and see a lot of floats. You should see it at least once.

Guest GaySacGuy
So the candle festival is a sort of Mardi Gras without the beads. I have never attended but the candle festival sounds lovely.

I wouldn't go quite that far...it doesn't have the hard 24 hour partying that Mardi Gras has, but it has a lot of parade and festival. It is more family oriented than Mardi Gras, but it is still a lot of fun. Also, in the evening the weather is usually cool enough to really enjoy walking among the floats which are parked on the streets around the park.

Guest fountainhall
Also, in the evening the weather is usually cool enough to really enjoy walking among the floats which are parked on the streets around the park.

Since there are some lovely temples in Ubon and the floats are made by each temple, arrive at least a day early so you can go round at least some of the temples and see the artisans putting the finishing touches to the floats. I understand it takes about 4 weeks to create the larger floats. They are extremely impressive.