numazu

The Reopening of Brazil to Foreigners: some observations

• Members
11 hours ago, asdsrfr said:

133866478_3665324740201169_2656067499524075330_n.jpg.5222aadaadabc14b7f46e872a75f0857.jpg

A recent picture from The Week in Rio and an attempt at social distancing measures. I think the cages actually make things worse and it's just plain crazy! I didn't take the picture--a friend who lives in Rio posted it and he is similarly dismayed.

Oh Dear :/

• Members
14 hours ago, asdsrfr said:

133866478_3665324740201169_2656067499524075330_n.jpg.5222aadaadabc14b7f46e872a75f0857.jpg

A recent picture from The Week in Rio and an attempt at social distancing measures. I think the cages actually make things worse and it's just plain crazy! I didn't take the picture--a friend who lives in Rio posted it and he is similarly dismayed.

I mean I kinda see what they are attempting to do, but that looks awful. Not just from they failure to prevent spread, but just being boxed in behind metal barricades. 

That being said I miss people and can't wait to pry myself through crowds to get an over priced weak drink from disinterested shirtless bartender! 

• Members

The current classification phase is, I believe, 5 Green, if not the lighter restrictions of Phase 6A Blue. The activity cluster is Leisure & Events —>Boate.

In either case, the mitigation ruling is 1/3 capacity and 4 square metres of floor space per person. No closing hours or masks are stipulated. Rulers lost mean rules broken. Where you see enclosed subgroups of 12-15 persons, that space would accommodate 1 person if following the guidelines. 

Activity restrictions, some categories stratified across 8 phases, seem lenient compared to São Paulo’s position within its particular 5-phase classification scheme. São Paulo (returning to Phase 3 Yellow on 4th Jan following a holiday shutdown) appears to allow events at 40% capacity but the attendees cannot be standing or milling about. 

Edited by Riobard

• Members

another glorious update from Numazu!! Just a question, given how good your photography skills, are in addition to your evocative writing it would be incredible to have at least a tease/taste of some of the BFs and garotos you've been with. I know how important confidentiality is for many of the GPs, but surely some artfully cropped images (like many of our other favorite Brazil posters post) would be ok? I'd settle for a nipple, or bicep, or belly button! :D

• Members

Sao Luis is indeed crumbling (tourists from the richer parts of Brazil seemed especially embarrassed by it) but I thought the city was unique and charming, given its French and I believe also Dutch history. The food is distinctive. The main local dish, rice with hibiscus leaves, dried shrimp, and sesame has an unexpected Southeast Asian ring to it. I remember a tourist from another part of Brazil exclaim in delight, "Crab farofa?!"

Across the bay is Alcantara, a colonial town preserved in wax: It's how I imagine Rio might have looked when some seasick Portuguese lady gets off the boat to join her colonial family in the 1700s. The Lencois is a few hours to get to, but impressive. More impressive if I had allowed myself to be seduced by a cute but most likely straight backpack boy into joining an all-night hike. In case you don't know, sand dunes are basically hills to climb. Hundreds of them, without sleep, on the spur of the moment. I wasn't as young and adventurous anymore.

In June, SL has one of the most Brazil's distinctive folklore festivals, Bumba Meu Boi. Alcantara has something around the same time, which holds several major saint's day holidays.

When I was in SL about 10 years ago, there was one bar+boys in an old colonial house. It didn't have any better a selection than the newer place Numazu describes.