TotallyOz

Favorite Book as a Child

One of the earliest was Lord of the Flies which another poster has mentioned. Another was John Wyndham's sci-fi Day of the Triffids. Becoming aware of my crushes on other boys, I loved a book which i think is no longer in print, Roger Peyrefitte's Special Friendships, a poignant and mildly erotic but touching story about the love between two boys and set in a Catholic Boarding School.

In my teens, I always liked to get absorbed in long books. War and Peace and David Copperfield were two.

Since then, I still enjoy longer books. Absolutely loved Viram Seth's A Suitable Boy (more than 1,000 pages) and Donna Tart's more recent novel The Goldfinch.

The Hardy Boys was a favorite.  But I had to read all the Nancy Drew books my older sister had before I could start with the Hardy Boys.  Maybe that explains something?!  The novel that really made a deep impression was Catcher in the Rye and its main character Holden Caulfield.  It opened my mind 

.And somewhat off topic, Fellini's La Dolce Vita Really changed my view of certain prior beliefs

In my early teens I was addicted to Henty. I was thrilled by his historical adventure stories like:

Out on the Pampas: The Young Settlers

Winning His Spurs: A Tale of the Crusades (aka Boy Knight)

Under Drake's Flag: A Tale of the Spanish Main

The Young Colonists: A Tale of the Zulu and Boer Wars

The Young Colonists: A Tale of the Zulu and Boer Wars

Given he was prolific and wrote more than 50 novels no one had to wonder what to give me as a present! I also read most if not all the Bulldog Drummond books(around 20). Bulldog Drummond was a brave and intrepid adventurer, like most of the heroes in Henty.

My taste in reading began to turn with Le Grand Meaulnes. The story of a teenager in love(with a girl). I started to see that novels could be more than just exciting adventures but could also hold a mirror to my own emotions, and also put into words my own burgeoning feelings.