Tomcal

my December trip to Rio and SP

• Members

Weds 12 30 2020 am update: Monday 12 28  Did some shopping, cloudy day. Found bilastine and fexofenadine pills for mosquito bites. Work well along with benadril spray and Tea Tree oil. Tons of mosquitoes everywhere, likely due to all of the rain. New Meio Mundo was mostly twinks with a couple of muscle guys. My GP was surfer body Patrick, not twink, not big muscle. Was very nice and cost was only 1/2 of 117 or 202 prices ! Another punter told menot to spend over 100RS, and I think many of the mostly Brazilian punters only paid 80. My Sauna fee including a rather nasty room (bed, basic light, min AC and no video nor bathroom) was only 50RS. My French friend was charged 160, but had a 2nd GP and somehow got nicer cabines. I think I saw Patrick at 117 on Tuesday night - free cabines, but if so he never said hi or it was simply a different guy. The fruit at BF on Tuesday 12 29 wiped me out. LOL. 117 was busy, even when I aarived at 1830 hrs !! Had a bad time finding a bottom, LOL. Daniello was a maybe tweeked out surfer build guy. For me has a very good GP. He came 2 x !! When a Brazilian guy tried to assist adding his number to my whatsapp - and we could not figure out how to do this. I think the app is crap for adding someone. It was suggested that Daniello write his info down on a piece of paper and give it to me. He seemed to wig out and the nice regular Brazilian guy assisting in this simply told me Daniello was sort of nuts, crazy. Only a short cabine wait at 1900-1930 hrs, but was very long until I left around 2130 hrs. Many punters and many GPs. Several of the GPs, well, I only saw them once ! Some of the better looking ones were leaving before 2100 hrs as the show was starting. The show's 2nd act was way too loud and, sorry, the drag queen needed a nursing home. I left. The show room was way too crowded for covid, a left to put on a mask, and then simply left. It was nice that 117 offered small plates of some type of small dumplings with some meat sauce to everyone. No idea what it was. On Weds morning, today, there was a clip on Globo  of what might have a party being busted someplace. Maybe gay as all of the folks leaving looked like guys and maybe some muscle god type guys by the door. No idea of anything further, just saw it for maybe 5-10 seconds and did not understand the commentary. Any further information appreciated. I was told no major fireworks at Copa in front of the Palace Hotel this year. However, many hotels have higher rates now, about 2 x regular covid prices (under 100 Euros or USDs) and M Rio has signs posted for travel on 12 31 and 1 1. Not sure what NYE will be like tomorrow. 117 is closed. ?202. Does anyone know the show schedule at Meio Mundo? I may try 202 again tonight - free cabines. So far I have been at the same hotel for about 2 weeks, why, the internet works !! It is comfortable, though not fancy and the price is good. Airbnb and Misterbnb would not have been significantly less and many places were more expensive. Location in Copa is fine, though Ipanema would have been nicer at 2 x the price. I do feel safer in the hotel as well. Has made hooking up difficult, but no worries about a guy or boy flipping out and trashing a place-after which I would have to pay for damages. So far my biggest mistake is not buying a pass to work out at a local gym, but many have limited holiday hours too; ?90RS per week. As mistakes go, that is minor. I am amazed how poorly the online GPs communicate. But my penis has been very happy :) I have not used the GP internet sites but rather the sites like scruff, grindr, etc.

Please, I do not intend offense for the following, but it simply has to be said as I have witnessed this many times on this trip so far:

When most boys or punters enter or leave a sauna they do so quietly and in a mostly business manner, with some hugging and maybe kissing amoung old friends. Same is true in the sauna or club or bar. Multiple times on this trip and at multiple gay and yes, non gay places, I have seen various groups of what appear to be US based black queens (2-6 in number) acting like its free cocaine night for trannies in 1987 - loud, in everybody's way and completely disrupting the local scene and goings as if they own the place. Many black Americans do not act this way ! I have seen a few white guys be a bit non respectful of the boys, but in each case they were PT speaking and the boys tolerated it, perhaps as these punters paid well and provided free drinks. I love black Americans, but please, be respectful of others, get out of the way of others and go with the flow as you see it. I have not seen non US blacks act this way, so I assume it is just a few "ugly Americans".  Again, many US or English speaking blacks do not act this way and I do not intend offense, but simply ask that folks be respectful of others and not assume that are they are the center of the world. Apologies if I have offended anyone. If a moderator thinks this paragraph should be deleted, I will not object.

• Members

For Rio Whatsapp contact addition, in case the confusion was country or district code, the format is: +55 21 9xxxx-xxxx 

Some smaller regions in the country may not have the 9 ahead of the eight main digits for mobile numbers. 

It seems to work every time, even when I enter it in my iPhone Contacts app. It just transfers over to the Whatsapp. 

The format may be different if you obtain a local SIM chip. 

I hope someone explained to the guy that his number can be scrawled inside a toilet stall whether it is recorded in a smartphone or on a scrap of paper. 

Edited by Riobard

• Members
On 12/27/2020 at 11:20 PM, MiamiEthan said:

Questions for a first timer.  Found a biz class flight for $1800 and have credits left from a few cancelled flights that I can consolidate to cover it so — free direct flight in biz to Rio!

Like all my trips, I’m going to plan real things not involving sex. Hanggliding, a Sugarloaf hike, beachtime! Booking dinners at Lasai  and Oteque which are both supposed to be amazing. So suggestions welcome. Buuuut, the real questions I have for you all are sauna and garoto related. 

I have zero experience with saunas — anywhere.  Is there a thread on sauna etiquette, specifically Rio saunas? I can get a lot from Tomcals thread that started in 2010 (thanks for that). I’ve read nearly all the threads but not able to find info on a few things... I hate being the guy with all the questions,  but have a lot so here are some of them. If you help, I’ll give a great readout of my trip in return:

At sauna: Are folks naked? Underwear? Up to the person? Saw a post from 2010 that said it was up to the person, what do most people do? Underwear? Towel? Gym shorts?

Do you rent a room when you go in? I see a few posts where it says the guy gets the room? What are room rates and do you get one for the night or for each visit.

Do garotos speak English? If no, I saw @Tomcal post from 2010 with some key phrases.  But didn’t seem to indicate if English was common in Rio or no?  I’m down for learning some Portuguese, but don’t have much time and am hopeless with languages — so not sure how I’ll do in the next couple weeks — beyond the 3 or 4 phrases Tomcal suggested.

I prefer luxe hotels, but are places like fasano ok for bringing guys back? For my first time an Airbnb seems risky, but tell me if I’m wrong.  I don’t really wanna stay in a midrange or lower end hotel, are those my only options if I want programmas? Any recs?

I don’t like to haggle. Do you have to? Seems going rate is 150-200, is that right? Do I ask then for a price or can I suggest 175? and when does discussing rate come into play in the conversation? In the room? Before the room — even if others are around?  

as for what they will do, I like the suggestion of asking if they’re a good kisser as I love making out, but what about other stuff, active, passive, etc. should I just assume they’ll do most things in the mainstream or do you need to discuss firsts. If you’re in a group and interested in one guy do you just ask him in front of others, ask him to step away for discussion, etc?

What can I do to be a good human in instances of saunas and garotos? Saw the notes on tipping. They were helpful. But aside from being nice and maybe a reasonable tip, anything that is appreciated by locals?

I know there’s risk of covid transmission, but any info on amount of risk? Or mitigation? 

that’s a lot. Thank you!

Also, anyone else in Rio in late January and want to grab dinner [my treat] or if you want to make virtual intros or point me in right direction happy for the help. Very much appreciating the threads, they are great. 

cc: @floridarob  @Tomcal@numazu1 @SolaceSoul

[Sorry, I tried snipping the quote down but the CC’s at the bottom will not delete using backspace]

Re: amount of COVID risk ... this can be quantified for the state of Rio de Janeiro based on current reported new infection incidence data, for any arbitrary number of persons. For example, the current  probability of minimally one person with contagious novel coronavirus on board, among a total of about 50 people, is 35%.

I imagine it is higher than 35% for the municipality of Rio de Janeiro because the urban per capita rate of infection tends to be greater. Apart from the difference between city and state, the figures are adjusted for a standard undercount; if the bias correction is too low relative to the unknown ratio of reported cases to actual cases the risk percentage also increases.

It is an estimate of infection within your interactions, not literal likelihood of transmission. 

It may help to settle on your own degree of risk tolerance. If you can live with the possibility of a 75% chance at least one person in your interactions throughout your visit has transmissible infection the corresponding number of people is approximately 160.

Basically it’s all meaningless unless u get covid! You play the odds with covid and stds etc! depends on what level of risk u are willing to take. I have always been more of a risk taker. As i said i was there for 25 days in 2 months during 2 trips! i had sex with approximately 25 + guys (many repeats 2 guys came every afternoon to my apartment! Another i saw 4 different nights for sleepover(,   i also had a 5 way,  ....i came back covid and std free!  For me it was worth it!

• Members
1 minute ago, Tomcal said:

Basically it’s all meaningless unless u get covid! You play the odds with covid and stds etc! depends on what level of risk u are willing to take. I have always been more of a risk taker. As i said i was there for 25 days in 2 months during 2 trips! i had sex with approximately 25 + guys (many repeats 2 guys came every afternoon to my apartment! Another i saw 4 different nights for sleepover(,   i also had a 5 way,  ....i came back covid and std free!  For me it was worth it!

What antibody test did you have, or will you have when enough time has elapsed, to ascertain you did not have asymptomatic infection? Since the majority of those infected are unaware. I have utilized the antibody assay manufactured by Roche. I wanted to make sure I was not chasing down a vaccine opportunity for nothing. 

• Members
8 hours ago, travguy said:

Please, I do not intend offense for the following, but it simply has to be said as I have witnessed this many times on this trip so far:

If you had to write this maybe it was better left unsaid. Your comments were targeted generalization and very much so unnecessary. And WTF is a punter?? I’ve been in Brazil the better part of the past 3 months and never heard that term.

Whether you realize it or not you are clearly a bigot and this will be my last time addressing you. 

Edited by Kevie770

• Members

Thank you for offering up what the term "punter" means. I've been accessing this site for a few years and had no idea. Nor have I ever used it in conversation.

Which brings me to another topic....communication. I would appreciate it if guys would care about clear communication when posting on this site. The abundance of acronyms used (since when is PT short for Portuguese?) and the lack of proofing is frustrating. Some sentences make no sense at all.

Thank you.

Edited by Connery43

• Members

20 hours ago, travguy said:

Please, I do not intend offense for the following, but it simply has to b

When most boys or punters enter or leave a sauna they do so quietly and in a mostly business manner, with some hugging and maybe kissing amoung old friends. Same is true in the sauna or club or bar. Multiple times on this trip and at multiple gay and yes, non gay places, I have seen various groups of what appear to be US based black queens (2-6 in number) acting like its free cocaine night for trannies in 1987 - loud, in everybody's way and completely disrupting the local scene and goings as if they own the place. Many black Americans do not act this way ! I have seen a few white guys be a bit non respectful of the boys, but in each case they were PT speaking and the boys tolerated it, perhaps as these punters paid well and provided free drinks. I love black Americans, but please, be respectful of others, get out of the way of others and go with the flow as you see it. I have not seen non US blacks act this way, so I assume it is just a few "ugly Americans".  Again, many US or English speaking blacks do not act this way and I do not intend offense, but simply ask that folks be respectful of others and not assume that are they are the center of the world. Apologies if I have offended anyone. If a moderator thinks this paragraph should be deleted, I will not object.

• Members
11 hours ago, Connery43 said:

Thank you for offering up what the term "punter" means. I've been accessing this site for a few years and had no idea. Nor have I ever used it in conversation.

Which brings me to another topic....communication. I would appreciate it if guys would care about clear communication when posting on this site. The abundance of acronyms used (since when is PT short for Portuguese?) and the lack of proofing is frustrating. Some sentences make no sense at all.

Thank you.

Agreed, just remember that many of us are not native English speakers.

• Members
23 hours ago, travguy said:

today, there was a clip on Globo  of what might have a party being busted someplace. Maybe gay as all of the folks leaving looked like guys and maybe some muscle god type guys by the door. No idea of anything further, just saw it for maybe 5-10 seconds and did not understand the commentary. Any further information appreciated.

https://www.towleroad.com/2020/12/circuit-party-rio/?fbclid=IwAR10Pks5EyoHJ6dxBC5mj9mnMkoMEkW3_xiX-QoxJyqlQbakKpkdHwL6oEQ

• Members
1 hour ago, babybear2 said:

I am thinking of a Feb trip to Brazil, but now Brazil requires PCR test.... makes me hesitate about the plan, what do you guys think?

It seems to me that there is one or more questions buried in your question. 

I am not sure why this particular requirement is the one factor that creates hesitancy on your part. Perhaps if you provided a few clues as to how the meaning of Brazil imposing it impacts on your thinking and planning, whether it is impractical for you, or the risk of being refused boarding on a Brazil-bound flight has monetary and associated consequences, etc.

Perhaps you wonder if it is a signifier of infection risk. (It is ... the coronavirus case rate is trending at double the September figures.)

I would be in Brazil most of the winter spending a great deal of money and my unlimited leisure time if it were not for an extensive list of reasons that prevent me from travelling there. Getting a PCR test a day or two prior to departure would be one simple task on a list of things to do, perhaps wedged between a barber appointment and counting out my supply of tenofovir-emtricitabine, douche, and condom supplies. 

Spill?

• Members
2 hours ago, babybear2 said:

I am thinking of a Feb trip to Brazil, but now Brazil requires PCR test.... makes me hesitate about the plan, what do you guys think?

The vaccine is rolling out, Rio is mostly shut down. It's smart to wait. Why take the risk over the difference of a couple months. 

1 hour ago, Riobard said:

It seems to me that there is one or more questions buried in your question. 

I am not sure why this particular requirement is the one factor that creates hesitancy on your part. Perhaps if you provided a few clues as to how the meaning of Brazil imposing it impacts on your thinking and planning, whether it is impractical for you, or the risk of being refused boarding on a Brazil-bound flight has monetary and associated consequences, etc.

Perhaps you wonder if it is a signifier of infection risk. (It is ... the coronavirus case rate is trending at double the September figures.)

I would be in Brazil most of the winter spending a great deal of money and my unlimited leisure time if it were not for an extensive list of reasons that prevent me from travelling there. Getting a PCR test a day or two prior to departure would be one simple task on a list of things to do, perhaps wedged between a barber appointment and counting out my supply of tenofovir-emtricitabine, douche, and condom supplies. 

Spill?

A few concerns:

(1) It adds uncertainty to the trip, and possible waste of money on flight and hotels

(2) I heard PCR test is extremely painful, a stick deep inside of your nose

Edited by babybear2

• Members

"Extremely painful"...?

Extremely painful is the time devoted to aftercare upon having a hemorrhoidectomy.

I know first-hand.

The PCR test (of which I have also had) is more of an inconvenience. The worst part is the sneezing after they yank the sticks out of your nose.

• Members
11 hours ago, babybear2 said:

A few concerns:

(1) It adds uncertainty to the trip, and possible waste of money on flight and hotels

(2) I heard PCR test is extremely painful, a stick deep inside of your nose

It is a deep swab yes. We call it 'The Brain Tickler', it is uncomfortable but not painful. 

As I noted above why are you hesitant to just wait a little longer for vaccines to roll out? They plan to approve the first vaccine in Brazil on January 15th. Get a cheap fare now for a trip in April or May. I'm going in July for Carnival (rescheduled from February). 

• Members
22 hours ago, floridarob said:

Please don't start using this word, lol

I had NO idea what this term was also. I was using the football meaning of kicking the ball to the other team to control your team's position on the field an trying to apply this to the topic at hand.

And yes, this is a horrible term.