Tomcal

my December trip to Rio and SP

• Members
13 hours ago, Connery43 said:

"Extremely painful"...?

Extremely painful is the time devoted to aftercare upon having a hemorrhoidectomy.

I know first-hand.

The PCR test (of which I have also had) is more of an inconvenience. The worst part is the sneezing after they yank the sticks out of your nose.

Thanks for clarifying. I understand the quasi-phobic hesitancy of the nasal-pharyngeal swab that comes with not yet having experienced the procedure. All I can do is add that it is very quick and painless, about 1% the discomfort of one’s dentist’s needle injected further back your gum line, say, for extraction or crown work. 

I strongly recommend you consider a trial run to assess the turnaround for PCR results and get firsthand experience of the formatting of the report. You want to be sure you get it all done and dusted within a 72-hour window. If tested on a Friday and departing the following Monday, there might have been added delay getting your results posted to you. Where I live it is a centralized testing site, the results are emailed to me, and for travel I would need to print it and have copies. 

With respect to stop-loss, depending on your local CoV incidence rate, you can consider stepping up your infection prevention 2 weeks prior to departure, 10 or so days prior to testing. 

You know by now that there is a continuum of opinion about whether to travel to Brazil. If someone were willing to turn their autonomy in that specific regard over to me, as much as I don’t really welcome that position, the answer is you are not going there now

Further to that, one of the biggest risks in decision-making is the cognitive distortion of correlating/conflating  others’ travel without consequence with the predictive potential of anyone’s future trip.

There is a short straw. I would question the mental intactness of anybody’s assertion there are only long straws. Drawing straws typically involves displaying all the straws after all are drawn. People do not display their straws as the group draws them one by one and exclaim: “Look, I pulled a long straw; you will too”. That logic is the last straw. The reason there is safety in numbers is that there is one short straw. The larger the group, the progressively greater proportion of the group not drawing it. That is never meaningful good news for the one drawing it; the reduced risk will have been irrelevant. 

The more herd members claim that everything is (and will be) fine because it was fine, the worse off your own prospects according to odds. Odds exist only in tandem with both past and future. Put them in a wormhole at your own peril. Try not to over-identify with the position on the continuum that supports your desire but is essentially flawed assurance that is not grounded in reality. 

Edited by Riobard

• Members

Dear language police:

Do a search here and you will find ‘punter’ is previously used here occasionally for years. Actually, don’t bother ... I can tell you that you would see it in some of my own posts, some of other members’ posts.

The provenance is such that it evolved to apply to the realm of sex trade. One of punt’s meanings is that it derives from ‘bunt’, connoting the unpredictability of where an object lands. Sometimes in sports the term is used in a way that neutralizes the flavour of a gamble. However, bunting a baseball off the bat or soccer ball off one’s head is considered more of a longshot at the ultimate goal. 

Used as an alternative, in trade vernacular, to ‘john’, it highlights the intrinsic gamble in a prostitution transaction. Given an emphasis on this forum regarding micromanaging the elements and outcome of a hire, a tad more obsessionally than more conventional client-provider arrangements, I hereby nominate punter as the most apt semantically accurate label for trade consumers represented here. 

• Members

You, Mr. Riobard, are hereby nominated to become an honorary member of the Boytoy Language Police.

Thank you for the very thorough explanation of the origins of "punter".

• Members
8 minutes ago, Connery43 said:

You, Mr. Riobard, are hereby nominated to become an honorary member of the Boytoy Language Police.

Thank you for the very thorough explanation of the origins of "punter".

I accept. Hahahah. My first task would be to affirm that ‘honorary’ means ‘without the usual requirements and functions’. Somewhat like the presidency playbook. That might limit the prospects of somebody seconding your motion. But I am more than willing to assume all of the authority without any of the accountability.

• Members

Years ago I hosted a get-together to serve drinks and snacks but the focus, like for other people I knew at the time, was to set up a projector and entertain and educate my guests with my rendition of a nice trip. As the social evening progressed the topics broadened somewhat beyond the range of the theme central to my slides. Infuriated, I threw them all out. 

On 1/1/2021 at 10:23 AM, Riobard said:

I strongly recommend you consider a trial run to assess the turnaround for PCR results and get firsthand experience of the formatting of the report. You want to be sure you get it all done and dusted within a 72-hour window. If tested on a Friday and departing the following Monday, there might have been added delay getting your results posted to you. Where I live it is a centralized testing site, the results are emailed to me, and for travel I would need to print it and have copies. 

@Riobard Thanks for the excellent advice.

After I did some research, getting Covid test in 72 hours before onboarding is mission impossible in my city.

All the private medical labs webiste says the report will be available in 2 - 3 days, and not responsible for any possible (very likely) delay of testing results, and they charge outrageous 375$ for a simple test.

Well, have to wait until this requirement is lifted.

• Members
9 hours ago, babybear2 said:

@RiobardWell, have to wait until this requirement is lifted 

Also note that your country issuing the negative PCR results must provide the document in English, Portuguese, or Spanish.

Getting a rapid test at a transfer point, such as the Sofia antigen assay at Panama’s Tocumen airport that is required for entry but I believe is carried out airside, will not satisfy the PCR version requirement.

It may be that Brazil will offer the option of a rapid test on arrival before they reverse the CoV status requirement, but these rules must align with airline test specifics.

Edited by Riobard
Splng

• Members

My entrance into Brazil on January 6. I took the RT PCR test on Sunday and traveled Tuesday night on AA. The gate agent checked the test results and the registration with Anvisa receipt. There were 5 people who did not have a PCR test or the Anvisa Health Declaration and were not allowed to board. There was a 30 minute delay as the airline removed their luggage.

Upon arrival at GIG no one checked or asked for the test results or the Anvisa declaration.

• Members

You do the health declaration ahead of time. What I want to know is if you receive a digital format for the boarding agent or do you need to produce a printed version?

In fact, similarly please clarify whether you can produce a PCR result that your clinic emailed to you, in digital format, or do you need to provide a hard copy? 

https://formulario.anvisa.gov.br/?lang=en

Edited by Riobard
Spacing

10 hours ago, alwaysrio said:

My entrance into Brazil on January 6. I took the RT PCR test on Sunday and traveled Tuesday night on AA. The gate agent checked the test results and the registration with Anvisa receipt. There were 5 people who did not have a PCR test or the Anvisa Health Declaration and were not allowed to board. There was a 30 minute delay as the airline removed their luggage.

Upon arrival at GIG no one checked or asked for the test results or the Anvisa declaration.

Thanks for sharing this info.

When should visitor sign up for Anvisa? Where did you find this information?

• Members

OK, I actually found the government ordinance.

The online Health Declaration and Agreement to Health Measures form that you complete for Anvisa, Brazil’s Regulatory Health Authority, can be submitted by you for your boarding in printed format (ie, you print the personalized document that is produced for you online after you have filled out all of the sections), OR it can be shown in digital format (ie, the same document) on your smartphone. This Declaration resets 15 days following completion, that is, you will not be able to pull it up on your device. Therefore, the rule of thumb seems to be that you would complete it close to your departure date, but give yourself enough lead time to make sure you can enter data such as passport number, etc.

The negative CoV test must be submitted as a ‘document’. The advisory does not specify format. I suspect it can be a digital version on your smartphone. Others recently through the process are able to weigh in should they choose. It would be silly to reject the report in digital format since it is much easier to forge a printed version. 

Edited by Riobard
I like clicking the Edit function during the time window for making changes.

• Members
47 minutes ago, Riobard said:

OK, I actually found the government ordinance.

The online Health Declaration and Agreement to Health Measures form that you complete for Anvisa, Brazil’s Regulatory Health Authority, can be submitted by you for your boarding in printed format (ie, you print the personalized document that is produced for you online after you have filled out all of the sections), OR it can be shown in digital format (ie, the same document) on your smartphone. This Declaration resets 15 days following completion, that is, you will not be able to pull it up on your device. Therefore, the rule of thumb seems to be that you would complete it close to your departure date, but give yourself enough lead time to make sure you can enter data such as passport number, etc.

The negative CoV test must be submitted as a ‘document’. The advisory does not specify format. I suspect it can be a digital version on your smartphone. Others recently through the process are able to weigh in should they choose. It would be silly to reject the report in digital format since it is much easier to forge a printed version. 

Thanks a lot! That was informative. Do you know the time scope for this regulation? When should they renew the ordinance?

• Members
37 minutes ago, Latbear4blk said:

Thanks a lot! That was informative. Do you know the time scope for this regulation? When should they renew the ordinance?

It does not have an end date or defined review date. Same as for entering Canada. 

Some mitigation measures do have a time frame, after which they are optionally extended. Those tend to be more burdensome within the country and imply that easing the measures will hinge on what the public is willing to do responsibly to impact transmission. They are also state-specific.

Agreeing to not import infection, to verify same, and to follow pandemic guidelines is not such a big ‘ask’. Better to leave the requirement open-ended. Consider how challenging it is for visitors to get up to speed every time there is a new regulation introduced, amended, rescinded, re-imposed, what have you.

Edited by Riobard

• Members

It was sent to me in a link from AA to Sherpa.

https://apply.joinsherpa.com/travel-restrictions/BRA?affiliateId=americanairlines&anchorLocation=DirectURL&title=travelrestrictions&originCountry=USA

I went to Point last night it was terrible. Left at 8. Will be weeks before I go back.

9 hours ago, alwaysrio said:

It was sent to me in a link from AA to Sherpa.

https://apply.joinsherpa.com/travel-restrictions/BRA?affiliateId=americanairlines&anchorLocation=DirectURL&title=travelrestrictions&originCountry=USA

I went to Point last night it was terrible. Left at 8. Will be weeks before I go back.

same here, Point never worked for me, 117 works better for me

• Members
6 hours ago, Connery43 said:

Is a Visa now required (again) for travel to Brasil?  

I thought that it had been eliminated.

No, not required ... maybe for some countries, but there has been no recent change. Perhaps the word Anvisa is confusing. It is the name of the authority for public health decisions. One of its functions is similar to the Food & Drug Administration in USA.

• Members

@RiobardFor my flight on the 11th I had not filled out the declaration form before I arrived but I was able to complete it at the gate without issue. I only had to show the confirmation email to The ticket agent. Everything was accepted digitally. 

@alwaysrio last night 202 was jammed packed! I pretty much only go to 202 on free cabin night. 

On Sunday I will go to a Sauna about an hour away from Rio. I have never heard it described here so I will provide and update on my thread. 

Edited by Kevie770