BiBottomBoy

The Queen's Gambit Is Really Good

• Members

It's garnered a ton of buzz. Many people have been wrongly put-off by the "chess," assuming the story is BORING. Personally, I'm put-off by stories about addiction, and that's the reason I've been avoiding it.

• Members

Yes, my showbiz friends have explained the movieĀ ad nauseam. I'm a tough sell, but some are even tougher. If I were desperate to watch something, maybe. But I'm not. And my days of watching something just because of the fashion are waning. (Although, I love good art direction.)

I'm a bigĀ TimothĆ©e Chalamet fan, but I still have not seen Beautiful Boy. And I probably won't. The pain of addiction in my life is too great, too close to the heart. I can't consume more in the form of "entertainment."

6 hours ago, BiBottomBoy said:

It was.

I liked the way it made it clear her friend was gay without shouting about it and being "normal straight director has to say character is gay 50 times."

Yes, the scene where his friend walks into the hotel room was brilliant. Very subtle.

• Members

I recently visited with an old friend, a ninety-year-old, long-retired Broadway hoofer. She danced with Ethel Merman in Call Me Madam, her first Broadway show among many. In conversation around keeping busy during Covid, we got to talking about Netflix. Her caregiver shared her password, so my friend has been watching a lot of TV. She asked me If I've seen Queen's Gambit, and I told her not yet, and expressed my reasons for avoiding it. My friend said I should see it anyway, knowing my taste in quality production value.

I started watching, and it lives up to the hype. It's binge-watch material, but I like to savor my TV watching, especially when the watching is good.

• Members
27 minutes ago, TotallyOz said:

Glad you are giving it a try!

It's more than a try. I'm committed. The story is so compelling, I was sure it was based on an actual person. In spite of her bad wigs,Ā Anya Taylor-Joy is a mesmerizing actress.

And yes, the very briefĀ "gayĀ scene" was handled quite deftly. Unusual, considering the production is American.

01.thumb.jpg.dd556cfa235b54b9a18d619795de8d9a.jpg

Edited by RockHardNYC

• Members
On 1/7/2021 at 3:24 PM, Riobard said:

Re: ATJ wigs,Ā Are you also alluding to the blonde EmmaĀ ringlets plastered to her head?

Not exactly sure what you mean. But most of ATJ's hair in this movie is high styled, even when the wig isĀ just a Sassoon bob with China Doll bangs. The movie offers great art direction, but if the hair for the female star is not perfect, it can detract from an otherwise stellar performance. I'm probably one of aĀ few who notice these details.