Pete1111

Wong Kar-Wai's Happy Together

• Members

A buddy of mine is a Wong Kar-Wai fan, and sent me a link to  a curated retrospective series, highlighting the career and select works of the Hong Kong filmmaker.

Last night I watched Happy Together, one of the series.  This film belongs on the 50 greatest gay film list in that other thread.  It released around 10 years before and remains just as timeless as Brokeback Mountain . 

I actually saw this in a theater years ago but wasn't in the mood for the despair of the film and maybe not clever enough that day to realize the beauty of it.

I expect the performance of Tony Leung will always stay with me.  The direction and cinematography was stunning.   

Happy-Together-115.jpg

Edited by Pete1111
grammar

On 12/26/2020 at 5:08 PM, Pete1111 said:

A buddy of mine is a Wong Kar-Wai fan, and sent me a link to  a curated retrospective series, highlighting the career and select works of the Hong Kong filmmaker.

Last night I watched Happy Together, one of the series.  This film belongs on the 50 greatest gay film list in that other thread.  It released around 10 years before and remains just as timeless as Brokeback Mountain . 

I actually saw this in a theater years ago but wasn't in the mood for the despair of the film and maybe not clever enough that day to realize the beauty of it.

I expect the performance of Tony Leung will always stay with me.  The direction and cinematography was stunning.   

Happy-Together-115.jpg

Co-star Leslie Cheung jumped to his death in 2003. All of Hong Kong came to a standstill in remembrance and sadness.

One of the best movies.... ever.

Leslie_Chung.jpg

• Members
59 minutes ago, nynakedtop said:

Co-star Leslie Cheung jumped to his death in 2003. All of Hong Kong came to a standstill in remembrance and sadness.

One of the best movies.... ever.

Leslie_Chung.jpg

Yes.   So sad.  He was a beloved,  special talent.

After his death a Leslie Cheung film festival was organized in LA, which was my first chance to see Happy Together.

tumblr_nghj3p2GFA1sm085eo2_1280.png