cbusbearister

Promising Young Woman

• Members

A fantastic indy film that is coming soon to streaming! It will be available on demand in the US January 15.

Carey Mulligan is fantastic in this, and a surprisingly good performance from Bo Burnham as well. Used to seeing him as a stand-up comic but he really shone here in this more serious role!

Also... Jennifer Coolidge is almost unrecognizable in this, but delivers a great (even if quite small) performance!

• Members

If you haven't seen this yet I highly recommend! All three deliver good performances that don't feel "over-acted." I think most people remember Coolidge for her over-the-top style roles (e.g. Legally Blonde) but here I feel like her performance is really subtle.

It is a pretty dark comedy, but also a super timely statement. Oddly this film didn't get great reviews with critics (the metacritic score was like ~70) but fans have all really enjoyed it. I think what might have turned some critics off is that the feel like the social commentary aspect of the film is too "woke." But I think that ignores the intention of the film to be intentionally dramatic. The cinematography emphasizes that too (extreme dark and neon contrast in all of the scenes where she is "on the hunt" vs more muted washed out colors in her day-to-day life).

The outlook is fairly bleak but, I mean... so is life ::shrug::

• Members

This movie was brilliant- I'll be thinking about it for a while. It's definitely a statement, and makes you think about the morality of the main character long after the fact, or even if we're supposed to be questioning the morality of movie characters or basing our judgement of the movie on the judgements of the main characters. It really got me.

As for Jennifer Coolidge, I loved her in this more subtle role, but I did also imagine that it was the same living room decor as her role in Best in Show.