RockHardNYC

Reduced Guilt

• Members

I attended a small business lunch yesterday, and the host served the most amazing potato chips with her sandwiches. I don't normally indulge in junk food, but I always appreciate a good potato product. When I asked her about her potato chips, I was SHOCKED to learn they were a product of Trader Joe's. Not only were the chips not over-salted, like most are, these were the crunchiest chips I may have ever encountered. There is definitely some magic formula going on here. The flavor of the chip isn't bad as well, considering they're lower in fat and salt.

I post the photo here, and the bag is indeed naked. I hope this doesn't cause a problem with DMCA.

chips.thumb.jpg.ed912d5e35f8e993fc8177d9717f99bd.jpg

• Members

Canada’s basic equivalent, at least for the lipids content, is Miss Vickie’s Original Recipe ‘reduced fat’ (40% less). The improbability of finding it in most retail stores is more of a problem that not having updated its slightly misogynistic name. I buy as many bags as possible when I see them stocked, and then alert the supply manager. 

Hummus is my preferred dip for these chips.

Edited by Riobard

• Members
1 hour ago, popejp3 said:

The best part is when you are on conference calls and hear the crunches and  bag rattling

I can't believe I did this, but, after the meeting, I stopped at Trader Joe's to buy a bag. My son loves a great potato chip, and my office is not too far from the kitchen. For the rest of the day, I could hear him sneaking into the bag. Not just bag rattling, the sound of the crunch was too loud to ignore. No such thing as sneaking a chip. Never experienced anything like that before with a potato chip.

1 hour ago, Riobard said:

The improbability of finding it in most retail stores

The competition for space on NYC grocery store shelves can be fierce. They may have a favorite product one week, and good luck finding it ever again. This even holds true with Whole Foods. I keep asking about certain products that once appeared in the past, and all I get are confused eye, head nods, and maybe a promise. And then nothing shows.

It seems like the bag of Reduced Guilty lasted all of four hours. My son felt inclined to go out and get more. At least with Trader Joe's, he could count on the bag being there. It is a Trader Joe's product.

• Members

You can get the Miss Vickie’s anywhere in Canada ... just about any flavour. Probably including hickory-smoked alfalfa brussels chanterelles pig’s feet. Retailers are just too dense to stock the regular reduced fat one. 

@RockHardNYC, you may need to squirrel away the new discovery in your jockstrap/thong/thing drawer. 

Edited by Riobard

• Members
2 hours ago, Riobard said:

you may need to squirrel away the new discovery in your jockstrap/thong/thing drawer

LOL. We have a large pantry. Too much shelf space for Reduced Guilt potato chips. Dangerous.