Badboy81

Covid Testing In Brazil....Rio and Salvador Bahia

Lach

Jardim Botânico, 512 - Jardim Botânico, Rio de Janeiro - RJ, 22461-000

https://www.lach.com.br/exames.html

Be sure and get the Covid RT-PCR test (not the rapid test), which is the one generally needed for international travel.

Cost is 350 reais for results in 48 hours and 500 reais for results in 24 hours.  Prices seem to change, so use these as a general guide.

Like CR-Diagnosticos in Sao Paulo, you contact them through Whatsapp for information and appointments.

Note that the lab at Santos Dumont does not currently offer the RT-PCR test, just the rapid test which may not be valid for travel to the USA, so be aware if considering using that service.

• Members

Pickvisa seems to be a fair search site ... example given: Salvador Bahia. I think it might even be decent for sourcing in other countries. 

If you go the ‘rapid antigen test’ route for entry to USA, make sure it is a nasopharyngeal swab because there is some confusion in Brazil between rapid antigen and rapid serology, mainly due to the term “rapid”.

Unlike USA and Canada, there are many rapid serology tests approved and utilized, for example, in pharmacies. They test for antibodies following infection. I believe they are all based on taking a drop of blood. That may suggest immunity but does not satisfy either the antigen (or nuclear acid amplification, eg RT-PCR) option required for boarding to USA.

Nasal & throat swab is the method for antigen or RT-PCR testing. Antigen tests can be lab-based (not rapid) but I think most folks would choose the rapid option if going the antigen route. Saliva tests have not yet gained ground for countries’ entry regulations. 

As @floridarobstates, note that antigen tests are not accepted elsewhere in the way the USA currently designates them as qualifying for boarding to USA. 

https://pickvisa.com/covid-19-test-centers/brazil/salvador

EB5C0BA5-665A-4ACE-90FD-EAF2C67F4C4C.jpeg

21 hours ago, Riobard said:

Yeah, seems to be a reasonable testing lead all over ...

https://pickvisa.com/covid-19-test-centers/mexico/merida

The listings in Rio don’t dovetail with the places already referenced on our forum, that are RT-PCR, so pickvisa is not likely fully comprehensive. 

They only list 1 lab...there are soooo many places doing the test, including at the airport parking lot.

• Members
48 minutes ago, floridarob said:

They only list 1 lab...there are soooo many places doing the test, including at the airport parking lot.

That would be convenient, buying it from the street vendor along with your chiclets snack pack, considering that tourism reps in Mexico are suggesting getting it done through a lab is complicated and requires an appointment, and there is a long list of labs (without much added info) in a recent Washington Post piece that would deter most tourists. 

All over the news is the newly installed testing module at Mérida airport. Reading between the lines, it could get overrun depending on service request volume and on-spot backlog, as it is intended as a backup plan. How many people will not want the convenience?

Edited by Riobard

• Members

PCR Covid19 Return To USA Test Locations In Rio De Janeiro and Sao Paulo: Alta Excelencia Diagnostica

https://altadiagnosticos.com.br/

Cost: 340 (RL) $62.00  (Same Day Result)

Rio De Janeiro : 3 locations : Botafogo, Leblon, Barra Shopping

Sao Paulo: 3 Locations: Jardins, HIGIENÓPOLIS, Parque Ibirapuera

340 Reais ($62.00) PCR Return to USA Covid19 Test same day results

Rio-Botafogo Location:

Alta Excelencia Diagnostica

R. Voluntarios da Patria 432

Botafogo, Rio de Janeiro - RJ 22270-010, Brazil

+55 21 3003-5552

Sao Paulo-Parque Ibirapuera Location:

Alta Excelencia Diagnostica

Unidade PARQUE IBIRAPUERA
AV. REPÚBLICA DO LÍBANO, 725 - VILA NOVA CONCEIÇÃO

SÃO PAULO - SP

Edited by JBaleUSA

Thanks....Postponed trip until this shit is all sorted out...

You need a PCR test within 72 hours a departure flight...It literally takes 48-72 hours to get results back...

Even the nurse we talked to in Miami said she didnt know what to tell us since the rapid test is not sufficient

3 hours ago, Badboy81 said:

You need a PCR test within 72 hours a departure flight...It literally takes 48-72 hours to get results back..

In Merida you get it back between a 1/2 hour to 10 hours after you take it, cost bring the only difference.  We took ours at 9:00 am and got the written results back at 6:00 pm

• Members

Panohealth in Atlanta gets the results back same day by 3 or 4pm as long as you take the test before 11am. I took my test yesterday at 9am and got my results back at 2pm for $100.  Now I’m back in Brazil. I’ve used them 3 times. If you are in Atlanta do not use “Same day testing”. A few weeks back I paid for 48 hour results and it took them 72 hours to get the results making it useless. I hope this helps someone. 

• Members
On 2/1/2021 at 10:23 PM, Badboy81 said:

Thanks....Postponed trip until this shit is all sorted out...

You need a PCR test within 72 hours a departure flight...It literally takes 48-72 hours to get results back...

Even the nurse we talked to in Miami said she didnt know what to tell us since the rapid test is not sufficient

My buddy uses a same day PCR test.. to leave the US for entry into Colombia and the CDC says they will take Antigen to come back home to the US.

• Members
6 hours ago, DutchDork said:

Aren't you guys afraid traveling to Brazil given the state of the virus spread and healthcare in the country? I'm really curious to know your opinions.

No I’ve had covid and I live in Atlanta. I don’t see much more risk of being here. If I get covid again here it would suck but it also sucks in the USA lol. 

7 hours ago, DutchDork said:

Aren't you guys afraid traveling to Brazil given the state of the virus spread and healthcare in the country?

i have been to Brazil(Rio and São Paulo)twice since the end of october and saw more everyday precautions taken there then in SoCal where i live! So no i am not worried! i just got back Monday from Merida Mexico and they also had more protocols in place the SoCal.  

two days ago i got the first of 2 injections of the Pfizer Vacine, the 2nd dose is on 2/24   but i take the normal precautions and I am fine as is a travel buddy that was also there!

• Members

It may be the national health minister who is a bit anxious today as he is to give testimony regarding a federal investigation into his dismissive conduct regarding the pandemic. Another of Bozo’s apuppepointments  from the military. 

Edited by Riobard

• Members
1 hour ago, Kevie770 said:

No I’ve had covid and I live in Atlanta. I don’t see much more risk of being here. If I get covid again here it would suck but it also sucks in the USA lol. 

Never say, at this point in time in my presence, something ‘sucks’ ... unless I can get in on that. lol