Latbear4blk

VACCINATED

• Members
7 hours ago, TotallyOz said:

Very jealous here. We are told we may not get them in Thailand until May!

However, happy you guys got them. Anyone want to get an extra dose for me?

I don’t mean to interfere but I would not hold my tongue for a personal close relation, so   ...

Thailand has committed to the Sinovac vaccine but the efficacy data are poor. It is launching in Brazil which was a main research location and was given emergency authorization there mainly due to political wrangling and desperation. 

You might consider holding out for the AstraZeneca vaccine that is also planned by Thailand. The low case incidence may allow the luxury of waiting a bit. The volume of doses is much higher than the SinoVac contract. 

There is a little Phase 1 vaccine research study apparently starting up at Chula U. It is mRNA model like the Pfizer/BioNTech and Moderna models. Everybody gets the vaccine; it is not placebo-controlled at this stage. 

Edited by Riobard

• Members

I've received both doses of the Moderna vaccine.  The only side effect was about 2 days of pain at the injection site from the second dose (nothing at all from the first).  I work in a pharmacy/dme supplier so all employees were vaccinated. A fair percentage of my co-workers experienced fevers, chills, upset stomachs and lethargy that lasted 24-36 hours.  I know the vaccines aren't 100% foolproof but I have to admit to feeling much more comfortable and grateful now that I've had it.

1 minute ago, Riobard said:

I don’t mean to interfere but I would not hold my tongue for a personal close relation, so   ...

Thailand has committed to the Sinovac vaccine but the efficacy data are poor. It is launching in Brazil which was a main research location and was given emergency authorization there mainly due to political wrangling and desperation. 

You might consider holding out for the AstraZeneca vaccine that is also planned by Thailand. The low case incidence may allow the luxury of waiting a bit.

There is a little Phase 1 vaccine research study apparently starting up at Chula U. It is mRNA model like the Pfizer/BioNTech and Moderna models. Everybody gets the vaccine; it is not placebo-controlled at this stage. 

Yes, I'll not do the Sinovac. But, they believe that the vaccines will start to roll into private hospitals here soon (for a nice price). I'm willing to pay. But, the gov't did not do a good job at ordering these in advance and thus the long wait.

That said, under 80 deaths in the country and they did a good job at controlling things until Jan. Now, a bit of a scare but still, I feel quiet safe here.

• Members
12 minutes ago, TotallyOz said:

Yes, I'll not do the Sinovac. But, they believe that the vaccines will start to roll into private hospitals here soon (for a nice price). I'm willing to pay. But, the gov't did not do a good job at ordering these in advance and thus the long wait.

That said, under 80 deaths in the country and they did a good job at controlling things until Jan. Now, a bit of a scare but still, I feel quiet safe here.

That SS surge just west of BKK really jacked up the exposure risk metrics for that area. Any random group of 14 people contains a carrier at a 1% probability level. Still peanuts though. 

• Members

I got my second shot the other Monday (not last Monday, but a week before). After a first shot with zero side effects, this time I felt feverish and weak for almost 3 days. Some of my colleagues got it much worst, with chills and strong pain on their arm. But we are fully vaccinated!

My school is starting to bring small groups of students to the building and I volunteered to join them. Starting in two weeks, I may be working out of my cave Tuesday to Friday. I think my kitty is going hate it.

On 2/1/2021 at 4:49 PM, Riobard said:

You might consider holding out for the AstraZeneca vaccine that is also planned by Thailand. The low case incidence may allow the luxury of waiting a bit. The volume of doses is much higher than the SinoVac contract. 

Interesting that you mention AstraZeneca - they came out swinging in December but they have gotten a lot of bad press recently.  Personally I think the alleged issues with their vaccine are overblown, but they will have to get their act together fast. 

• Members
6 hours ago, KeepItReal said:

Interesting that you mention AstraZeneca - they came out swinging in December but they have gotten a lot of bad press recently.  Personally I think the alleged issues with their vaccine are overblown, but they will have to get their act together fast. 

Fauci himself is an “unforced error”. My shoulder is embedded in a cold chain freezer when it comes to him and other silly pundits of his ilk. 

A lot of this fails the ‘conflict of interest’ smell test. The haters were willing to exacerbate vaccine hesitancy by needlessly going for AstraZeneca’s state as chum in the water. So nauseatingly egotistical and self-serving ... they are the own-goal fiasco. 

What the media and NIAID conveniently overlooked and neglected to mention: Pfizer/BioNTech did exactly the same thing and were, in contrast to AstraZeneca, applauded at the time. They had ‘dropped’ BNT’s hit interim efficacy and safety analysis, a week later revising it to preliminary primary analysis (stretching out taking the stock positions for a ride?). Did they already know the second press release would elevate further the positivity of the first one? Good question. The cut-off extension duration for revised analysis was oodles greater than the few days between press releases. 

AZ simply wanted to present its safety analysis as it was taking a drubbing based on spurious reports of embolism risk. They had not applied for FDA EUA, the vaccine possesses authorization broadly globally, and it was perfectly within their rights to present the interim analysis. They held their cool and under pressure returned immediately with primary analysis data, but they have 14 cases of plausible infection under review that they have had to defer integrating because of the stink the media raised. So there are more data forthcoming.

AZ gets the last laugh on the analysis because the slight reduction in total sample efficacy was more than offset by a large increase in efficacy for age65+. But now it will be harder to disabuse the general public of notions of product inferiority. Pisses me off.

4827DFCD-F454-44C0-ACD1-1022119C45D5.jpeg

• Members
11 hours ago, iveryhotijake00 said:

Great to hear! I also got vaccinated and hope everyone who has the opportunity to do so does ASAP. This is the only way to get the world back to operate and a new normal in my opinion. 

Glad you are vaccinated! Can you now post a pic of your very hot self? (As imagined by your name!)

Got my first pfizer jab yesterday.  I was fine at first but my arm started to sore in the middle of the night through the next morning (today).  I am fine now with no obvious side effect, but I heard the 2nd jab may cause problem.  We will see. 

The problem is getting an appointment!  I was online since 1 am and openings were rare or they were 70 miles away from San Francisco in Yuba City or Modesto!  But even those got snatched up in a minute!  I slept a few hours and started at 7 am again.  Luckily one popped up at 7:30 for an 8:30 am appointment less than 15 miles away and I was able to grab it.  You blink you lose!

My arm was sore a few days after the first shot. End of the month for the second.

I too find all the drama over the AZ vaccine overblown. Given the number of doses that have been administered to date, any complications are very rare. Given that we're approaching, I believe, 3 million Covid deaths worldwide, this seems a stupid thing to slow vaccination over.

I got my first shot the first week of March and my second last week (Pfizer).  It seems like you are most protected two weeks after the second shot.  So by this time next week I should be at that mark.  I felt relieved after the first shot and much better now.  I can't wait until enough vaccines have been given that we get to herd immunity.  I just wish people wouldn't rush into dropping mask and social distancing protocols. 

We are so far behind here in Canada. A previous government outsourced all our vaccine production so we have had to make deals outside the country.  So I’m here in Vancouver, born in 1950 and currently the province is only making appointments for people born 1949 and before.  Oh well. Mostly staying home and hoping to get the first shot by the end of the month.