traveller123

Hotels in Jomtien

When my partner and I visit Jomtien we always stay at The Agate which is unfortunately now closed, although thankfully they tell me they will re-open when conditions allow.

I then decided to check out East Suites only to find that is also closed.

Has anyone anywhere they would recommend for a few night stay in Jomtien next month

Traveller123 persuaded P and I  to stay at Agate on this very forum; and we love it, more than any of the other hotels in Thailand, some considerably more expensive.

Thanks for the post; now that things are looking up, I've been trying to contact Agate  but without success. I worked-out that it was closed of course but your report that they plan to reopen cheers me enormously.

As far as other possibilities are concerned, I told P only yesterday that Zing is well-liked and gay-friendly. i think it's still open. Cheaper than Agate.

Last month, the governor of Chonburi recently ordered all hotels in Chonburi to close.    The purpose of that was so salaries for hotel workers could be paid by the government.  They more or less did that at the same time as Chonburi was downgraded from Red to Orange zone, ie when some restrictions were lifted.   I found that a little strange, as it makes it more difficult for domestic tourists to travel and presumably they don't pay the salaries of all the other businesses that get less trade due to fewer domestic tourists.   In comparison, some Bangkok hotels had slashed rates to ~500 baht a night, which attracts domestic visitors.

I believe Chonburi hotels were allowed to apply for exemptions, particularly where there are existing guests.   Serviced apartments like Mosaik were exempt.

I would suggest that it's very safe to leave booking until near the last minute, then look on the booking apps or that apartment booking app (the unhelpful one that won't give you the precise location of the premises).    

13 minutes ago, Londoner said:

Thanks....I don't know whether to be relieved that they are not boarded-up and sold as 711s or depressed because another  one hundred days of imprisonment-  at least- lies ahead. 

Don't worry about conversion of hotels to 7-Elevens.   There are numerous 7-Elevens in Pattaya that have closed and completely emptied the premises, like they're not planning to open again.

Despite all the distressed businesses, it was still possible to have a good time in Pattaya.   One just needs to adapt to the circumstances.  

As for "imprisonment", well one of my Laos friends in Bangkok tells me he knows someone from the UK who is currently in quarantine in Bangkok.   So there are still people escaping, even though our government is currently copying travel policies on North Korea.    

That photo of the Zing Resort showing they are opening on 1 July is encouraging for me taking into account the U.K. government’s plan for foreign travel to be allowed from 17 June {I Think) . I’ve pencilled in a trip for July. However there is no word from the Thais as to if and when they will reopen. 
I have stayed there a number of times and liked the rather basic but adequate rooms and the decent sized pool. Happy memories sitting by it with boyfriends. I wonder if the Ambience in Boystown is open - that was my regular place before the Zing. 

Zing was not completely dead at the end of December 2020.   I saw the occasional customer having something on the terrace.  However, when the second covid wave came, activity stopped.  

On 3/6/2021 at 11:39 PM, abidismaili said:

Does The Venue still have shows most nights ? There can’t be that many customers now. Only expats I guess. Full house still?

Yes, the Venue has shows 3 or 4 nights a week. Not sure what nights. I will look when I am in Jomtien Complex tonight.

On 3/6/2021 at 4:55 PM, traveller123 said:

When my partner and I visit Jomtien we always stay at The Agate which is unfortunately now closed, although thankfully they tell me they will re-open when conditions allow.

I then decided to check out East Suites only to find that is also closed.

Has anyone anywhere they would recommend for a few night stay in Jomtien next month

Although not in Jomtien Complex,  there is T5 Suites Hotel that is open. Located on Soi 5 off of  

Thappraya road.  Near Mike's Mexican Restaurant.  Halfway between Jomtien and Pattaya.

Short  ride on motorbike taxi or Baht Bus.  Inexpensive.

10 hours ago, kokopelli said:

Venue shows open on Monday, Wednesday, Friday and Saturday.

Thanks. And are there many customers watching the show? My guess is they also thrive on tourists. Expats have seen the shows many times, they can’t be among the majority of customers.

Surprised they apparently still manage to make money and pay the dancers. 

2 hours ago, abidismaili said:

Thanks. And are there many customers watching the show? My guess is they also thrive on tourists. Expats have seen the shows many times, they can’t be among the majority of customers.

Surprised they apparently still manage to make money and pay the dancers. 

Nowadays expats don't have too much choices Boyz Town is shot down Sunee Plaza almost desreted this is the only option to see a show in Pattaya.

Clearly Jomtien and Sunee offer more then Boyztown in 2021.

Sunee has 2 gogo bars and a few host bars, but the host bars are quiet.

Jomtien has a street full of host bars and more customers.   Sooner or later some nice boys walk past.

In Boyztown, Castro -had one show per week.  Cupidol has boys fully clothed,  so it's a gogo bar with drinks at host bar prices.  Or you can sit at Panorama and watch the inactivity.

However, I was still happy to be based in South Pattaya, as it's got a better choice of coffee shops, restaurants and other facilities.  If there are no suitable hotels in Jomtien, staying in South Pattaya ought to work OK.

Our last glorious (or so it seems now in retrospect) stay in Pattaya was over a year ago. and as indicated above, was at the Agate in the Complex. I won't rehearse the reasons for our exodus from Boyztown, in my case after twenty-five happy years, but have one reaction to z909's  post to share.

P had wanted the move to Jomtien   well before me but I resisted for the reasons z909 mentions; the facilities of South Pattaya are  immeasurably superior to those of Jomtien. particularly the restaurants. 

This meant that we'd travel into Pattaya twice a day, usually by baht bus, sometimes by taxi. This time last year, that trip could, particularly in the early evening, be uncomfortable. Full buses often with standing room only, of course, but also very slow buses (or taxis) owing to the numerous roadworks.

Nevertheless, the superiority of our hotel, its quiet location, its two swimming pool in particular, made our decision worthwhile. And, while moaning at the traffic  jams we'd say to each other, "In June, the roads will be clear."

Well. we were right but not for the reasons we wanted or expected. 

2 hours ago, gerefan said:

I was in there last weekend and at 200 baht per drink it was more like a host bar with drinks at gogo bar prices!!

Thank you.   That's what I meant to write !   

Must check what I have written more carefully. 

On 3/9/2021 at 10:20 AM, abidismaili said:

I don't stay around to see how many customers watch the shows. I can only assume it is the expats who do visit the Venue. 

2 hours ago, Londoner said:

I'm now beginning to wonder whether a visit in five or sixth months times is a possibility.

As far as I know, the only thing stopping you going to Thailand currently is Kim Johnson Un stopping us leaving the UK.    

The UK has the same kind of policy as the DDR or DPRK.    This makes no sense, as leaving the country has no effect on domestic infections.   Coming back is what does that & restrictions are in place.  

If you do get to Thailand in 5~6 months, I would imagine accommodation will be the least of your problems.  There will be hotels open and vacancies.

21 hours ago, Londoner said:

Midguy1 and others will be pleased to hear that I received an email from Agate yesterday confirming its re-opening, once the local authorities give permission.  I'm now beginning to wonder whether a visit in five or sixth months times is a possibility.

I am very pleased they have confirmed what they told me.

I do wonder about their explanation that they will open when The Local Authorities allow. Venue and Poseidon are currently open in the Jomtien Complex and I suspect The Agate may be waiting for some relaxation allowing international tourism.

Incidentally if you like The Agate's Facebook page you will see they post a photo most days