Midguy1

Restaurants in Pattaya & Jomtien

One of the pleasures of this town (in my opinion) is the large number of eating establishments available.  There seems to be a wide and eclectic choice to suit most occasions and budgets.   Like many people I haven't been back since the pandemic, but I've been to many on past trips and everyone has different experiences but here are a few of some of the favourites I've enjoyed so far:

Top end: Cafe des Amis, Indian by Nature and Casa Pascal.

Mid Range: Le Bordeax, Suggestions (went by motorcycle taxi out, but by grab back as further than I thought in the east side but well worth the visit), Cafe John, Wine Cellar Poseidon, La Bocca, Ruen Thai, Robin Hood Avenue.

Budget: Food courts in both Central Festival and Terminal 21, a couple of restaurants on the street beside Tukcom (sorry can't remember their names), Nickys on Buakhao, Tinnies pie and mash.

For future visits there are several more i want to try.   Examples include Akavit, Retox, La Notte, Patrick's steak House, buffet at Hilton, buffet at centara.  I've also spied several reasonable looking places in T21. I've heard good things about Au Bon Coin.  I'd like to try some good Western style Chinese so will try the Royal Cliff Chinese restaurant.   I'd also like to dip in and try some street food - just haven't been brave enough yet!

Would love to hear of any suggestions and experiences - especially for Indian and Chinese restaurants in this town - any budget.  Assuming they're still there when we're allowed back, of course.

From all the restaurants I've been to in Pattaya, Poseidon is the best and I've returned several times each trip. Their special evenings, like the gourmet and the 16-dishes dinner, were always fully booked. During my last trip, I even stayed in the Poseidon Residenceabove the restaurant. But I prefer Agate hotel. 

Chef Bart is from The Netherlands and has a mix of European and Asian kitchen. Delicious!

Sorry to tell you that Akvavit shut down many months ago and shows no sign of reopening (Jomtien beach road, yes?). My two favourites are Natan's, opposite Jomtien Complex, on the road down to the beach, and Au Bon Coin. My favourite Italian was Carpaccio, opposite Natan's, but sadly that closed a couple of months ago. 

My all time favourite is Cafe Des Amis, pricey but well worth it for special occasions, plus my partner loves it and he really looks good when he scrubs up for the visit.

I rate Au Bon Coin, it has the feel of a French country restaurant. I always say I will leave room to enjoy the cheese at the end of the meal but I have never succeeded.

Suggestions I really want to try. When we were in Jomtien at Christmas we drove out to have lunch only to be told on arrival it was booked out for a private party.

I have had a couple of good dinners at Patricks. I had steak both times so I can't comment on other dishes.

For a cheaper dinner we enjoy Robin Hood on second road and also rate Yupins in the Jomtien Complex

No recommendations for Thai cuisine? i recall PIC Kitchen from many years ago,  in a soi off the northern part of Second Road. Much more expensive than the usual but beautifully served traditional food- much of it unusual to me- in  two salas.  Reminiscent of The Good Earth in Chiang Mai , that some of you  may know. But better food, I think.

When I was last in Jomtien (one year ago almost to the day), there was a sign near Theppasit announcing a re-opening nearby. I hope to keep my promise to take P there one  day.....if it does indeed open, something that must be questionable in present circumstances.

4 hours ago, Londoner said:

...if it does indeed open, something that must be questionable in present circumstances.

This is my fear too.  I see above that one of the restaurants I was going to try is currently closed.  On a brighter note I'm very much looking forward to the day that I will be allowed to return and patronise these places once again.

On 3/10/2021 at 6:29 PM, Midguy1 said:

especially for Indian and Chinese restaurants

For Indian, my favorite is Masala Twist on Jomtien Second Road, near the immigration office.  You can also have their food delivered via Hungry Now.  I've done that and the food always arrives in good condition and piping hot.

For Chinese, some of the high end hotels offer Chinese food - also high end.  They're fine if you're looking for gourmet Chinese such as Peking Duck.  I'm looking for plain old American Chinese, especially my favorite - Egg Fu Yung.  The only way I've been able to get that is to make it myself at home.  The closest I can find is Hungry Panda, on Soi Leng Kee, in the same building where China Garden used to be. Their food is available for delivery via Food Panda.

If anyone knows of an American style Chinese Restaurant in Pattaya, please post.  I've been looking for years, but so far I haven't found one.

4 hours ago, traveller123 said:

......as I am getting too old to get a soaking.

In that case, I suggest you ask the mamasan to point you in the direction of guys that don’t shoot such a big load.    The Tsunami warning siren needs to be sounded before some guys unload, particularly when they haven’t had a customer for a few days.

I have been looking for new places in Pattaya and have recently tried two places recommended in this thread. They were both very good indeed. Robin Hood on Second Road and Masala Twist in Jomtien.

Many thanks.

My recommendation...Tulip House on Jomtien Beach Road. It’s towards Na Jomtien about 2 or 3 miles from the Complex so you will need wheels to get there. Worth it though.

And somewhere definitely NOT recommended... Pan Pan near Threppasit. Absolutely awful.

The Glass House Pattaya:

The restaurant is located on the beach in Pattaya. The scenery here is beautiful, and the environment is great too. The ingredients are average, the seafood is not particularly fresh, the taste is also average, and the service is not good. Basically, its hard to find a waiter. The serving speed is slow. And the price is very high. In general, it is convenient to sit on the beach in the evening, have a glass of wine and watch the sunset. The environment is great. As for eating, it is not recommended. For further details visit this link.

https://bit.ly/3rXVgwu

Another couple of places I've enjoyed that I didn't mention in my earlier post. 

Cafe Ritzy (I think) on the main road going to Jomtien beach near the arch - delicious reasonably priced homestyle food.  I don't believe it's there anymore, but ex pat friends tell me that theres a very similar restaurant in the complex - Cafe John - so I look forward to trying out there when I get back.

Moonlight restaurant based in View Talay 7.  A delightful and cosy place which is a bit more upmarket than usual, with prices to match and some interesting variations on the menu.  I only discovered Moonlight after chatting up a handsome guy in a bar in the Complex where he told me he was a waiter there.  Of course, I couldn't the resist going to sample the menu!  Hope this place has made it through...

20 hours ago, Midguy1 said:

Another couple of places I've enjoyed that I didn't mention in my earlier post. 

Cafe Ritzy (I think) on the main road going to Jomtien beach near the arch - delicious reasonably priced homestyle food.  I don't believe it's there anymore, but ex pat friends tell me that theres a very similar restaurant in the complex - Cafe John - so I look forward to trying out there when I get back.

Moonlight restaurant based in View Talay 7.  A delightful and cosy place which is a bit more upmarket than usual, with prices to match and some interesting variations on the menu.  I only discovered Moonlight after chatting up a handsome guy in a bar in the Complex where he told me he was a waiter there.  Of course, I couldn't the resist going to sample the menu!  Hope this place has made it through...

I have eaten at Cafe John twice. The first time was not too good but I forgave them and tried again. The second time was worse!

When looking around View Talay 7 I came across a small cosy restaurant overlooking the pool. I didn’t note the name but assume it must have been Moonlight. You are quite right it is upmarket with prices to match...300 baht for a bowl of soup! Was still open a few weeks ago.