Lonnie

Queer As Folk Reboot

• Members

Queer as Folk Reboot Is a Go, Will Take Place in the South

Queer as Folk American cast, courtesy Showtime

First Manchester, then Pittsburgh, and now the Crescent City.

Groundbreaking gay television show Queer as Folk is coming back to TV in a brand new way.

Peacock, the streaming service from NBC and its sister channels, has given creator Stephen Dunn (Little America) a straight-to-series eight-episode order for a new take on Queer as Folk. The new version of the classic show will "explore a diverse group of friends in New Orleans whose lives are transformed in the aftermath of a tragedy."

The orginal British series was created by Russell T. Davies and starred Aidan Gillen, Craig Kelly, and Charlie Hunnam as three gay men living in Manchester, England in the late 1990s.

That was followed by a Showtime series, set in the American Rust Belt city of Pittsburgh, that lasted for five seasons, from 2000 to 2005. It starred Gale Harold, Randy Harrison, Peter Paige, Hal Sparks and Sharon Gless. It was one of the first American TV shows to focus on the lives of gay men; actresses Michelle Clunie and Thea Gill also portrayed a lesbian couple that's part of the men's circle.

"It is a surreal honor to adapt the notoriously groundbreaking series by Russell T. Davies," Dunn said in a press release. "When the show originally aired, the idea of unapologetic queer stories on TV was so provocative that I felt I could only watch Queer as Folk in secret. But so much has changed in the last 20 years and how wonderful would it be if the next generation didn’t have to watch Queer as Folk alone in their dank basements with the sound muted, but with their family and friends and the volume cranked all the way to the max ..."

Dunn recently won a GLAAD Media Special Recogniton Award for the episode "The Son" from Little America, which is an anthology series on Apple TV+. Lee Eisenberg, who worked with Dunn on that episode, will executive produce Queer as Folk, alongside Davies, his producing partner Nicola Shindler, Emily Brecht, and Richard Halliwell. The show was initially envisioned as a scripted show for Bravo, the channel known for the Real Housewives series, but ended up at Peacock.

As the series is set in New Orleans, we are all hoping to see more people of color, and specifically, Black queer men, on this iteration of Queer as Folk. Including trans and more female characters (and their sex scenes!) wouldn't hurt either. But most of all, we're excited to see queer actors play roles where they can be proudly out and get the focus their stories deserve.

3 hours ago, Lonnie said:

Queer as Folk Reboot Is a Go, Will Take Place in the South

Queer as Folk American cast, courtesy Showtime

First Manchester, then Pittsburgh, and now the Crescent City.

Groundbreaking gay television show Queer as Folk is coming back to TV in a brand new way.

Peacock, the streaming service from NBC and its sister channels, has given creator Stephen Dunn (Little America) a straight-to-series eight-episode order for a new take on Queer as Folk. The new version of the classic show will "explore a diverse group of friends in New Orleans whose lives are transformed in the aftermath of a tragedy."

The orginal British series was created by Russell T. Davies and starred Aidan Gillen, Craig Kelly, and Charlie Hunnam as three gay men living in Manchester, England in the late 1990s.

That was followed by a Showtime series, set in the American Rust Belt city of Pittsburgh, that lasted for five seasons, from 2000 to 2005. It starred Gale Harold, Randy Harrison, Peter Paige, Hal Sparks and Sharon Gless. It was one of the first American TV shows to focus on the lives of gay men; actresses Michelle Clunie and Thea Gill also portrayed a lesbian couple that's part of the men's circle.

"It is a surreal honor to adapt the notoriously groundbreaking series by Russell T. Davies," Dunn said in a press release. "When the show originally aired, the idea of unapologetic queer stories on TV was so provocative that I felt I could only watch Queer as Folk in secret. But so much has changed in the last 20 years and how wonderful would it be if the next generation didn’t have to watch Queer as Folk alone in their dank basements with the sound muted, but with their family and friends and the volume cranked all the way to the max ..."

I am actually quite excited about the reboot. It is a good thing to see more diversity out there - but would have liked it to be on TV, not just streaming, where it can be available to more consumer, and importantly the younger (perhaps questioning) generation. 

I have an opposite view from @KeepItReal. I loved the UK Series and the first episodes of the US Series. But I found the US storyline just got stretched too much. QAF was for a time and of its time. With public acceptance of homosexuality now so much more advanced in parts for the world, the "shock" value of the new series will have vanished. Plus the number of gay-themed movies has mushroomed in the last 21 years

2 hours ago, Pete1111 said:

Yes, QAF Showtime was a phenomenon back then how there'd been  nothing like it on US television.

What interests me is having Russell Davies involved.   

Would be cool if the reboot included Russell Tovey.  He's worked on other Davies projects.ddfed7419a12e80729b7592e5fa1e94d--men-ce

He is definitely a cutie! In about a year I will have ears just like him, from all the mask wearing!  I will have to consult a plastic surgeon and see if they can pin my ears back in place... Lol :D

I'm not sure how well this series will go. Can you do QAF without explicit sex scenes? Are those allowed on a streaming service like Peacock that's owned by a broadcast network? I do agree having in the South and adding a more diverse cast would be important.

I just finished the season. It was interesting. I would say 2.5 out of 5. I didn't like the characters that much. I did like some of the story-lines. I felt wokeness was shoved in my face the entire time. I think they tried to bring in too many topics and none really developed beautifully. I did love seeing Kim Cantrell (as always).

5 hours ago, TotallyOz said:

I just finished the season. It was interesting. I would say 2.5 out of 5. I didn't like the characters that much. I did like some of the story-lines. I felt wokeness was shoved in my face the entire time. I think they tried to bring in too many topics and none really developed beautifully. I did love seeing Kim Cantrell (as always).

Thanks for the review! Do you think it's worth a one-time watch or it's better to skip it? Is the focus too much on wokeness and being preachy, or does it actually have a richly-developed story which can draw the viewer in? I'd loved the original British series because it touched on many issues without being preachy and actually having a well-developed storyline and great characters!

I think it is worth a watch. I didn't hate it. I didn't love it. I hope it was just me and others will like it more. I loved the British show and the one from the USA years back. In fact, I had a ton of queers over to watch Queer as Folk weekly. It was a big party and back ages ago when I had so many sexy lads around me day and night, one gay pride the cast of Queer as Folk was in the Gay Pride Parade and one of the lads picked one up for a sexy party at my apartment. I really wanted to like the new show. I had been excited to see it. I will still watch another season if it comes out but not because I think the show deserves it but because I think any show that is completely dedicated to gays should be seen and supported.