Lucky

Has Daddy's Message Forum Died?

• Members

This morning the message-forum.net went offline. All I get when I go there is a blank page.  If this is good-bye, well, it did come as a bit of a sudden surprise.

But with the death of founder Bill, things were looking doubtful.  I have had a lot of good experiences there.

(A friend has written that he, too, cannot get the site to appear.)

• Members
23 minutes ago, Pete1111 said:

That reminds me, the PS gathering relied on that Website.

I wonder what the future will bring for that annual event.

The advantage there is that the organizer, Oliver, has kept a list of the email addresses of the attendees over the years.

• Members

There was a false alarm about a week ago, but this time it may be permanent or nearly permanent. I'm surprised it lasted as long as it did. Getting things settled when he didn't even have a will could take a great deal of time. Too bad he didn't make any effort to make things easier for anyone who might have to take over...

There was no will, so probate will likely be required and since no one had logins or passwords for the servers, even if people take ownership of the hardware, once they are turned off, there is no guarantee they'll successfully boot again. I'm guessing that's probably what happened. The people trying to take possession probably tried to move the servers and after they lost power, they haven't been able to get them back up. But, who knows? Maybe it's just a temporary technical interruption. That's the risk when privacy and security are high priorities and there's no succession plan because the admin didn't expect to die suddenly.

• Members
48 minutes ago, caeron said:

I wish them luck. It's unfortunate there was no succession planning.

Sometimes, people do not expect to pass away so suddenly. Or, they have it on the back of their minds to do, but never get around to it. Anyhow,  I  am grateful for the wonderful forum that was provided and hope to see it back up and running soon. 

I went to the site twice today and got nothing: some strange wording that I can't remember.  ...am glad that I am here, for now I know that I am not the only person who couldn't get MessageForum today.

I hope it was a technical problem vs its demise in its current form.

• Members
14 hours ago, Latbear4blk said:

They did an amazing work

Amazing? It looks to me like the data on both sites is being stolen, with hopes that no one will notice or care. Sure, there may be no one on earth to file a legal claim, and the thieves may actually achieve their goal. But, to me, the whole operation appears illegal, unethical, and against Bill's intentions. Perhaps Daddy is enjoying this drama, since RuPaul was one of his favorite TV shows.

It saddens me to see what so many gay men are willing to tolerate and support to keep their addictions fed. 

44 minutes ago, RockHardNYC said:

Amazing? It looks to me like the data on both sites is being stolen, with hopes that no one will notice or care. Sure, there may be no one on earth to file a legal claim, and the thieves may actually achieve their goal. But, to me, the whole operation appears illegal, unethical, and against Bill's intentions. Perhaps Daddy is enjoying this drama, since RuPaul was one of his favorite TV shows.

It saddens me to see what so many gay men are willing to tolerate and support to keep their addictions fed. 

That is an interesting point of view. I didn't know "Daddy" so don't know what his wishes were. But given his support for the LGBTQ community I doubt he would be pleased if the site disappeared. He certainly recognized the value of the virtual community since he took on ownership responsibilities for it for so long.   :D

I have a hard time seeing this as data theft. The community that generated that data is keeping that data. Daddy got paid as the archivist. That didn't mean that what he archived was his.

I recognize that my views and the laws may not align on this, but if you're here, you probably already agree that the law isn't always right....

• Members

I just assume there is always an element of risk, of lack of control over the privacy aspect of what I post, and that I don’t exclusively own my content. However, there is content I likely would not have posted if not retired, financially independent from employment connections, and essentially untouchable in terms of my professional affiliations being bitten in the ass. Similarly, I have posted content on these sites that I might not have written if an American residing in USA ... I realize that might be a bit of overkill in terms of worry.