TotallyOz

Expats are included in Thailand’s vaccination plan

From The Nation

Expats can register for Covid jab from June 7

Foreigners living in Thailand can register for their Covid-19 jab at the nearest vaccination station from June 7 onwards, Natapanu Noppakun, deputy director-general of the Foreign Ministry’s Information Department tweeted on Friday.

"To register, they can use either their passport or social security number at hospitals that have their medical records or at hospitals designated by the Public Health Ministry,” he said.

Vaccination for different groups of foreigners is as follows:

Diplomats, international organisations and their families

Around 7,000 names collected by the Foreign Ministry will be sent to the Department of Disease Control (DDC).

This group can get vaccinated at their hospital, or at 2-3 designated hospitals for those who do not have health records.

Foreign government agencies

May register staff for vaccination with the Foreign Ministry's Department of Consular Affairs.

Foreign nationals married to Thai nationals/family members of Thai nationals / retirees in Thailand / business people/foreign investors in Bangkok

Bangkok: On-site registration at vaccination centres under the Council of University Presidents of Thailand.

Other provinces: The Public Health Ministry will allocate vaccines to local vaccination centres and foreign nationals may register at hospitals with their health records.

Foreign students

The Ministry of Higher Education, Science, Research and Innovation will arrange for their vaccination under the Council of University Presidents of Thailand.

Migrant workers

The Social Security Office will coordinate with employers on vaccination for this group.

Thai students planning to study abroad

Register online with the Department of Consular Affairs. Chulalongkorn University will arrange for this group's vaccination on June 3-4.

https://www.nationthailand.com/in-focus/40001143

==============================================

COVID UPDATE (21  March) -- There have been 3,481 new infections announced today and 32 Covid-related deaths in the past 24 hours. 951 of today’s new cases come from Thailand’s prisons.

STATE OF EMERGENCY UPDATE -- Thailand’s Centre for Covid-19 Situation Administration is proposing an extension of the nationwide Emergency Decree for another 2 months. At a meeting today, the CCSA and Public Health Ministry noted that it may take until the end of July to bring the latest Covid wave under control. The last declaration of a State of Emergency has been in place since March 2020 and was set to expire at the end of May as the government can only declare the status for up to 3 months at a time.

Looks like the wait for expats to get the jab in Thailand will take a little longer, due to the amount of vaccine in the country.

“According to announcement from government I need to inform you that we need to cancel all expats in Thailand even you have Social Security for Vaccination Covid-19. Due to the Vaccine is not enough for now, so we will give to Thai citizen first. We apologize for inconvenience.”

The above is an extract from a letter to editor in today’s Bangkok Post

20210522_102921.jpg.8792317c5828f19ad3852a36bad7422c.jpg

From Bangkok Post

Some foreigners get jab next week

The government has assured that all foreign nationals living in the kingdom who have registered for vaccination will start receiving the Covid-19 vaccine from next Monday.

Sophon Iamsirithaworn, Disease Control Department deputy director general, said on Wednesday that vaccination for all foreign diplomats in the country would be carried out the same day as the government's mass vaccination programme, based upon an advanced reservation system.

"Currently, we have started vaccinating diplomats and their families, and international organisations -- such as UN staff, in which they have registered in advance to get a vaccine from designated hospitals," Dr Sophon said.

According to Dr Sophon, all diplomatic staff, consular representatives and staff from international organisations in Thailand were required to register from June 1–6 via www.ThailandIntervac.com/diplomats.

"For general foreigners, they can get the jab on the same day as Thais," Dr Sophon told an online forum titled "Briefing for Thailand Journalists on the National Vaccine Rollout".

"Emphasis should be given to the elderly and those who have seven underlying diseases."

The forum was co-hosted by the Public Health Ministry and the World Health Organization (WHO) to equip the media with vaccine scheme information so they work in sync with the government.

Dr Sophon went on to say that foreigners who want to get vaccinated are also required to register via www.ThailandIntervac.com. Those who have booked via the Mor Prom Application would get an AstraZeneca jab.

Dr Sophon said there would be more vaccines assigned to Bangkok than other provinces as the population in the capital is dense and the spread of Covid-19 still relatively high.

"There will be almost one million doses of AstraZeneca and Sinovac altogether assigned to Bangkok," Dr Sophon said.

"In the first two weeks, around five hundred thousand doses should be administered.

The government expects 61 million doses from AstraZeneca and around 10–15 million dozes from Sinovac.

The department is also negotiating with Pfizer to supply another 20 million doses and Johnson & Johnson for 5 million dozes of their vaccine, he said.

https://www.bangkokpost.com/thailand/general/2125855/foreigners-get-jab-next-week

================================

Americans plead for jabs

A group of prominent US citizens in Thailand has submitted an open letter to visiting US Deputy Secretary of State Wendy Sherman asking their government to arrange Covid-19 vaccinations for its expatriate citizens.

"Don't abandon us!" was the plea.

"The US continues to have a growing vaccine surplus, yet many Americans abroad are still without access to vaccines and their lives are at risk," said the letter, written by Democrats Abroad Thailand chairman Paul Risley, Republicans Overseas Asia VP Tony Rodriguez, Veterans of Foreign Wars commander Carl Manchester and American Women's Club of Thailand president Ambreen Miraly.

https://www.bangkokpost.com/thailand/general/2125903/americans-plead-for-jabs

=======================================

From Tourism Authority of Thailand

Covid-Factsheet_3-June

On 6/3/2021 at 5:29 PM, reader said:

Some foreigners get jab next week

The government has assured that all foreign nationals living in the kingdom who have registered for vaccination will start receiving the Covid-19 vaccine from next Monday.

The key phrase here is "who have registered" - that has been impossible for the vast majority of foreigners so far

15 hours ago, anddy said:

The key phrase here is "who have registered" - that has been impossible for the vast majority of foreigners so far

I live in Issan.

I have been registered for a couple of weeks now with an appointment for a first jab on the 23rd June.

I qualified because of my age, I had to register and provide my yellow Tabian Baan (house book) and the admin lady asked me to go and get a pink Thai ID card before my appointment.- The lady registering me was very friendly and helpful, the person I needed to see for my pink ID card insisted on me and my partner, who have a UK Civil Partnership, returning with our Civil Partnership certificate translated into Thai - strange as Thailand doesn't recognise our relationship, but I got what was needed and now we'll see if I get the jab.

5 hours ago, traveller123 said:

I qualified because of my age, I had to register and provide my yellow Tabian Baan (house book) and the admin lady asked me to go and get a pink Thai ID card before my appointment.- The lady registering me was very friendly and helpful, the person I needed to see for my pink ID card insisted on me and my partner, who have a UK Civil Partnership, returning with our Civil Partnership certificate translated into Thai - strange as Thailand doesn't recognise our relationship, but I got what was needed and now we'll see if I get the jab.

one can get sick from trying to comply with all those requirements

5 hours ago, traveller123 said:

It's also strange because whether or not you are in a Civil Partnership ought to have no bearing at all on your vaccine entitlement or covid risk.     

Thai bureaucracy needs reforming so that it is logical.   If something serves no useful purpose, delete it and fire the people who collect the information, so that they can be redeployed to something that will be of use to society. 

2 hours ago, z909 said:

It's also strange because whether or not you are in a Civil Partnership ought to have no bearing at all on your vaccine entitlement or covid risk.     

If I read the post correctly, he didn't say the civil partnership had any bearing on the vaccination. It was requested in the application for the pink card (don't see the relevance there either, really, as treveller123 also wondered, but so be it), which in turn was requested for the vaccination registration.

3 hours ago, z909 said:

Thai bureaucracy needs reforming so that it is logical.   If something serves no useful purpose,

Needs reforming, yes, but I think you and most here on the board are well aware that the concepts of "logical" or "no useful purpose" do not apply here or at best have rather bizarre meanings. Hence, no sensible and beneficial reforming will happen.

8 hours ago, traveller123 said:

I have been registered for a couple of weeks now with an appointment for a first jab on the 23rd June.

you are one of the few lucky ones then, congrats!

On 6/5/2021 at 5:12 PM, traveller123 said:

the admin lady asked me to go and get a pink Thai ID card before my appointment.

For the benefit of us not living in Thailand, could you explain what a pink ID card is? Is it a form of permanent residency? Does it allow the card holder to work (i.e. paid employment)? 

It seems to me that you've lived a while in Thailand and have not needed this card until now -- and even then, as z909 says, it should have had no bearing on your vaccine entitlement -- so whatever this pink confection is, it has as little practical value as a pink tutu.

17 minutes ago, macaroni21 said:

For the benefit of us not living in Thailand, could you explain what a pink ID card is? Is it a form of permanent residency? Does it allow the card holder to work (i.e. paid employment)? 

It seems to me that you've lived a while in Thailand and have not needed this card until now -- and even then, as z909 says, it should have had no bearing on your vaccine entitlement -- so whatever this pink confection is, it has as little practical value as a pink tutu.

You are correct it has little/no practical value. I have lived in Thailand for 9 years and I have never been asked for it before.

Your question made me Google it's uses, as you can see in the final paragraph below they are not many:

PINK THAI ID CARD SINCE 2016

On 7 February 2016, the amphur and tessaban received a new regulation of 2 pages explaining the process for this new “pink Thai ID card”.  We translated that regulation in English for your understanding. Click here to read this Regulation of Pink Thai ID Card for foreigners.

How to get this card:

First, you need a Thai ID number to get the card. If your name is currently in a yellow (foreigners) or blue tabian ban (permanent residents) we suggest you to go at the amphur and/or Tessaban and bring all original documents and a copy of the following:

• your passport
  • your work permit (if any)
  • your ta bian ban
  • your marriage certificate (if any)
  • your 2 books for permanent residency (if you are permanent resident)
  • birth certificate of Thai children (if any)

It is always better to bring more documents than less as you never know what an amphur can request. For example, I wouldn’t be surprised that a translation of the passport could be requested in some areas, even if the regulation doesn’t specify it. Do note that in July 2016, I was the first foreigner to ask for this card in Nakhon Ratchasima. That means they might not be used to do that. It took 3 days for me to have this card.

Bring all documents, make a copy and signed all pages in blue. The regulation also refers to a witness, meaning you must have a witness that bring with her or him his Thai ID Card.

The process should be quick meaning on the same day or you will get it few days later. You must submit both thumbs as fingerprints and take a picture without shoes where they make the cards. Migrants workers for Laos, Cambodia, Myanmar have a similar card but it is white.  Dress properly for the day that you go to make your card.

This card is valid for 10 years according to clause 8 of regulation in 2551. However, if you are over 60, it will be without an expiry date (also on same clause 8).

For me in Nakhon Ratchasima, it was free. But according to law, they should ask you 60 baht.

What are the benefits? We will see….maybe you will pay Thai prices in national parks? Maybe you won’t have to always carry your passport (But the visa is not written on that card). This is an official ID from Thailand, with your name in Thai and your Thai ID number. It will also fix the spelling of your Thai name.

The only reason I got the ID card is that I was asked to show it when I go for the vaccine on the 23rd June. Will I need it? I don't know but I wasn't prepared to take the risk of being turned away.

No registration for private jabs yet.

Email from Samitivej last night.

Greetings from Samitivej Sukhumvit Hospital.

We regret to inform you that currently we are not open for registration and COVID vaccine is not available at our hospital at this moment.

We still do not have information on exactly when, which vaccine(s) will be available to us, how many doses we will be able to procure, or what the price of each dose will be at this point in time. When the information becomes clearer, we will be sure to keep you updated with the details.

We thank you for your understanding and patience in the matter very much.

Best regards, 

Thanarat Pichetsuntorn
Samitivej Sukhumvit Hospital

Well, some progress -- maybe.
I followed a link (forget where from) that took me to a site where I could register online. Oh, it's called intervac. http://www.thailandintervac.com Amongst other things it lists there, vaccines (2 available now and 2 not).

COVID-19 Vaccine Availability
Updated on June 6th,2021
Sinovac (Available)
AstraZeneca (Available)
Johnsons & Johnsons
Moderna

On completing the form, I got this confirmation:

VACCINE BOOKING INFORMATION
Date
01 JAN 1970

Place
-

Time
Status
Wait for an email confirmation from 
oicddchotline@gmail.com

Make of that what you will.

As an aside, the spokesman on the CCSA daily bulletin just said that from today it is not possible for 'walk-in' registrations..

Wait and see I suppose.

3 hours ago, traveller123 said:

Migrants workers for Laos, Cambodia, Myanmar have a similar card but it is white.

Aha, so it's a "Non-Thai ID Card", but they have different colours for different races ?

I've encountered Khmer people with these.    Instead of a nice passport with a large and clear photo, they present these tiny little ID cards with poor quality photos.

10 hours ago, z909 said:

Aha, so it's a "Non-Thai ID Card", but they have different colours for different races ?

Why does everything have to be about race these days? This has nothing to with race, it is just an entirely different card for different purposes and with different requirements and eligibility criteria. As I see it, the pink card is something for someone with residency and ownership of a house/condo (hence the need for the tabian baan (house registration) whereas the white card has more to do with workers from neighboring countries. Now those workers are indeed treated differently from so-called "expats" and possibly higher-level employees from those same countries (last point is just my guess). Different treatment is entirely justified, because (a) they are ASEAN whereas most "expats" are not, and (b) it's a way of dealing with masses of low level, low income workers where the usual "expat" procedures wouldn't be suitable.

Race is simply not a factor. 

Well perhaps nationality would be a better choice of word in this situation.     

Particularly as the "stateless" Thais also have had the pink version & sometimes take a very long time to get the blue one.   https://www.bangkokpost.com/thailand/special-reports/903200/stateless-fight-for-their-thai-identity

Please note I have NOT said there is anything wrong with having different colour ID cards for overseas citizens.     

There have also been various colour schemes according to where people come from:  https://www.harvard-yenching.org/wp-content/uploads/legacy_files/featurefiles/Pinkaew Laungaramsri_ReCrafting Citizenship.pdf        

From Thai PBS World / Thaiger

Private hospitals ordering 10 million doses of Moderna, expected to arrive by October

Private hospitals in the Kingdom are planning to buy up to 10 million doses of the Moderna Covid-19 vaccine through the Government Pharmaceutical Organisation. The Private Hospital Association expects to take delivery of the vaccines by October.

Paiboon Eksaengsri from the PHA says progress was made at a meeting with Moderna importer, Zuellig Pharma. The price has also been set at 3,800 baht for 2 doses, inclusive of fees.

The US-manufactured vaccine was approved by Thailand’s Food and Drug Administration last month, with a total of 5 vaccines now approved in the Kingdom. The others are China’s Sinovac, AstraZeneca, the single-dose Johnson & Johnson vaccine, and a second Chinese vaccine, Sinopharm.

According to a Thai PBS World report, the government is in talks with Johnson & Johnson and Pfizer, with plans to import up to 25 million doses of those vaccines. To date, 6 million doses of Sinovac and nearly 2 million AstraZeneca doses have been delivered. 1.8 million of the AstraZeneca doses were locally produced by Siam Bioscience.

https://thethaiger.com/coronavirus/private-hospitals-ordering-10-million-doses-of-moderna-expected-to-arrive-by-october

On 6/7/2021 at 2:56 PM, Patanawet said:

Well, some progress -- maybe.
I followed a link (forget where from) that took me to a site where I could register online. Oh, it's called intervac. http://www.thailandintervac.com Amongst other things it lists there, vaccines (2 available now and 2 not).

Like you I registered but waiting on email confirmation. What this tells me is that the government can say, "we allowed foreigners to register" and not actually be able to make appointments.

I did have a Thai friend that went today for her jab at one of the two places listed and she said there were zero foreigners there and was told by doctors they were not yet allowed to vaccinate foreigners. :(