reader

Malaysian cops cannot inspect foreigners at random without valid reason, says new police chief Acryl Sani

From Channel News Asia

KUALA LUMPUR: Malaysian Inspector-General of Police (IGP) Acryl Sani Abdullah Sani said that he would issue a directive to prevent police officers and personnel from conducting random checks on foreigners without valid reason.

He said that this was to prevent a handful of police officers and personnel from abusing their powers at will.

Mr Acryl Sani was speaking at a special press conference at the Bukit Aman police headquarters on Thursday (May 6), his first since taking over as the new police chief on Tuesday.     

“I will issue a directive to stop the act immediately, which is to inspect them (foreigners) randomly without a reasonable or valid reason,” he said, as quoted by Bernama.

“Besides that, the police cannot detain them at will, to be remanded for two weeks, on the grounds of confirming whether their Immigration Department-stamped passport or document is genuine or otherwise,” he added.

The IGP said such practices and culture were one of the spaces that would lead to abuse of power by the police.

https://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/asia/malaysia-police-stop-inspect-foreigners-random-igp-acryl-sani-14762108

Read this news yesterday and i immediately share this with one of my favorite boy from indonesia. This is a good news indeed, as i know for a fact some of his friends has been a victim of this random checks and were threaten with jail unless they pay a bribe. Despicable indeed but the boys also knows they are here to provide illegal services, so they reluctantly just pay the police even though i told them the police have no proof that they did something wrong. 

I do hope that this directive is fully enforced, however, i dont see any mention of what should foreigner do if they still being questioned randomly.